Lectron vs PWK

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:only if you have done the other modifications he suggests too.
Remember his head mods are based on an ML3-R casting, not the HF, HF-1, ml3 or ml3-N heads
Ok, so that won,t be right for me then. I guess i,ll go with the standard plug and see how that goes, or do you recommend anything else?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

never thought very highly of them jet kits. who is putting in the hard hours to find magic needles for all these bikes ? and how could they even speculate what mods one bike had from the other. bunch of rubbish if you ask me. call sudco and get some real needles
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

100hp honda wrote:never thought very highly of them jet kits. who is putting in the hard hours to find magic needles for all these bikes ? and how could they even speculate what mods one bike had from the other. bunch of rubbish if you ask me. call sudco and get some real needles
I have all the Sudco needles i need, but the lean cutout is still there no matter which needle i use. Otherwise i like the JD needles character. It,s something else that gives me the problem. It,s not that bad but i,m a perfectionist, and as i use it on the street too i work on making as smooth as possible at light throttle. On the ice it doesn,t matter so much if i have some bludder at light throttle as i don,t use that so much anyway.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

johnnytheswede wrote:
100hp honda wrote:never thought very highly of them jet kits. who is putting in the hard hours to find magic needles for all these bikes ? and how could they even speculate what mods one bike had from the other. bunch of rubbish if you ask me. call sudco and get some real needles
I have all the Sudco needles i need, but the lean cutout is still there no matter which needle i use. Otherwise i like the JD needles character. It,s something else that gives me the problem. It,s not that bad but i,m a perfectionist, and as i use it on the street too i work on making as smooth as possible at light throttle. On the ice it doesn,t matter so much if i have some bludder at light throttle as i don,t use that so much anyway.
trust me when I suggest the pilot... just try it for shits and giggles, pop a 48 pilot in there and see how it does. My old gen-4 started and seemed to run fine using the stock PJ spec jetting in a pwk, except at that really low throttle range, I started turning the air screw out and it improved. long story short it ran tits on a 45 with 1 1/2 turns on the air screw where I started with a 55 in there.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

dannygraves wrote:
johnnytheswede wrote:
trust me when I suggest the pilot... just try it for shits and giggles, pop a 48 pilot in there and see how it does. My old gen-4 started and seemed to run fine using the stock PJ spec jetting in a pwk, except at that really low throttle range, I started turning the air screw out and it improved. long story short it ran tits on a 45 with 1 1/2 turns on the air screw where I started with a 55 in there.
Thanks for your replies Danny! I have tried that too, but the behaviour of the bike is lean running, no bludder but it more like it,s cutting out. As soon as i open up the throttle more it,s ok again. Thank you for giving tips here all of you guys=)!
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

How old is your PWK? what does the stock slide look like? Sounds like your carb is wore out where the slide rides up & down....
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

I picked up a old PWK off a KX 500 when I tore it down to bore it out the jet block o-ring was discintegrated ??????

There's three small holes that line up between the carb body and jet block and all the o-ring material around them was shot I'm sure it would've ran like shit if not ran at all !!!

I got a new o-ring from sudco!!!

I would check that out before you go any further cause it sounds like you gone every direction with jetting it?????
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

pstoffers wrote:How old is your PWK? what does the stock slide look like? Sounds like your carb is wore out where the slide rides up & down....
hello! My carb is a new PWK 41,5mm, so no wear there..
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

blownbillybob wrote:I picked up a old PWK off a KX 500 when I tore it down to bore it out the jet block o-ring was discintegrated ??????

There's three small holes that line up between the carb body and jet block and all the o-ring material around them was shot I'm sure it would've ran like shit if not ran at all !!!

I got a new o-ring from sudco!!!

I would check that out before you go any further cause it sounds like you gone every direction with jetting it?????
Hmm, ok. Well, my carb is new so i guess it should be ok, but something is making it feel lean, so maybe i should check it out anyway.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Whacked out jetting often goes right back to air leaks, bad plug wire, bad ignition, or some other electrial gremlin.

The carb prolly' isnt the problem.

Ride it with the choke on, still feel lean?
Last edited by AlisoBob on December 9th, 2011, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

tried no7 slide?
on my bike it didnt make a much difrence changing to a #7 and 1 size richer needle dia
but on my uncles 03 rm250 it made a huge diffrence, so i gave it to him
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Kartwheel68

Post by Kartwheel68 »

AlisoBob wrote:Whacked out jetting often goes right back to air leaks, bad plug wire, bad ignition, or some other electrial gremlin.

Yup, I'd bet money on an electrical problem, or an air leak. I tried to jet my '79 Maico 440 for about 6 months, just could NOT make it right. It seemed like it changed from minute to minute. I took the original Motoplat ignition off and installed a new PVL...no more carb issues.
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

Kartwheel68 wrote:
AlisoBob wrote:Whacked out jetting often goes right back to air leaks, bad plug wire, bad ignition, or some other electrial gremlin.

Yup, I'd bet money on an electrical problem, or an air leak. I tried to jet my '79 Maico 440 for about 6 months, just could NOT make it right. It seemed like it changed from minute to minute. I took the original Motoplat ignition off and installed a new PVL...no more carb issues.
Yes, i think the same thing. As the bike idles perfect and all gaskets are new at the reed house, new base gasket and i have no leaks, i think it,s electrical more than anything else. It starts at first to third kick, so the jetting i have good control over. I know that bit quite well actually. maybe cut a short bit off the spark plug wire could be good to get good contact. Couldn,t hurt anyway..
Kartwheel68

Post by Kartwheel68 »

I would start by making sure all the grounds are good. Make sure the coil is grounded with clean metal to metal on the frame, make sure the cases are getting a good clean metal to metal contact to the frame, take the stator off and make sure the base of the stator is clean and making good contact with the cases. I've see stators get corrosion behind them on bikes that did not have well sealed mag covers and were intermittently breaking ground. Once you are sure you are getting a good ground everywhere in the electrical system, cut the coil wire back a tiny bit and put a NEW resister plug cap on it.

These modern Japanese ignitions are very forgiving for grounds, nothing like the old Motoplat which needs a completely solid ground or it wont run for shit, if at all. Even on these modern ignitions though, a bad ground or non-resister plugs and caps can make the engine do all kinds of weird stuff that is hard to diagnose.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »