spring rates AF conversion

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
coley13

spring rates AF conversion

Post by coley13 »

I finally got a good ride in on my AF, firstly i must say it was fucking awesome in the ST. Much better than i expected especially turning.

Saying that, i was seriously under sprung, in the tight ST wasnt overly bad but when trying to push and a bit of speed it beat the shit out of me.. When you guys determine spring rates to you add the motor weight difference onto you body weight? and is there a little more front end bias with heavier motor to take into account?

my engine is 8 kg's heavier

2007 cr125/500af kyb suspension.

race tech reckon 73kg rider stock. i'm 85kg plus an 8 kg engine increase? what you reckon i should go for?

stock is .44 front/ 4.7 rear
racetech says ..47 front/ 5.05 rear ?

does that sound about right? i added engine weight in the calculation
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

I am by no means a suspension expert, but that your method of adding for the motor weight difference sounds reasonable. When I ordered my springs i just clicked the "oversize" tank to take care of the added weight.

the prices are right here http://www.diverse-mfg.com/ and they get good reviews.

Their springs are red which went well with my decor.

I have a 5.1 spring for a kyb that i miss ordered, never installed. Thought I had put a kyb on my ride, but turned out to be showa.

If you want it I will sell it for $89, and probably ship for free. I am going to have to pay return shipping, plus shipping on the showa spring, probably gets me close as far as shipping to au
coley13

Post by coley13 »

Thanks for the reply, i've worked out i can fit my shock spring from the steely. it's 5.6 with same dimensions. Little heavier than wanted. Might be a good thing given the torque these things have. Fingers crossed

Now my problem is i cant seem to find heavier front springs.
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

ive got mine gold valved for pro enduro soft with standard springs and i weigh 110kg
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I am 185lbs without gear and run .46 kg/mm fork springs and a 5.2 kg/mm shock spring. Both came from Factory Connection. You'll be able to tell whether the 5.6 spring is too much by checking your static sag after you set your race sag to 100-103mm.

Right now my bike is beating me to death in the small square-edged braking / acceleration chop, but it's not spring rate. I had a local guy do the re-valve and I think he's given me the standard jump jump motocross setup.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF