500 haters!

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
bobby thompson

500 haters!

Post by bobby thompson »

so i have an 02 cr 250. the bike is beautifull! i started out w a shit box and put about 6g into it. yeah i know il never get that back. maybe 2g if im lucky. but anyway spent the money to make it the way i want it. shes a bad bitch now. id love to put a 500 into her because thats my dream machine. my friends that i ride and race w say im nuts for fuckin w that bike. my only supporter is my wife. i know i can still race her w the 5oo in the open class even tho im doing verry well in the 250 class. someone please give me a positive outlook on wanting to rip a sick 500
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

bonus - your other nut will drop :lol:
bobby thompson

Post by bobby thompson »

honestly! im lmfao rite now! that was good
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

get on ebay, buy another frame for 100-200$, send it to paul stoffers in cali or eric sargent in cali, they're doing excellent work.. swap everything onto the frame and give 'er

I have 2 of the 250 bikes 2002 and 2004, the 04 gets rode in the 250 class at the hillclimb for 5-10 minutes a year, the 2002 hasnt been rode in 3 years. I have 3 2002-2003 250 and a 2003 125 chassis with 500s in them. nothing like it.
bobby thompson

Post by bobby thompson »

hey roostious! how is it in the trails? i heard there great! id love to have the frame done by a pro but moneys kinda tight have kid on the way! and im a good fabricator and my buddys a sick welder so prob do it myself & hope for the best. ive learned alot of thid site aswell
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

http://www.youtube.com/user/500bigbore

plenty of my trail vids here. i have alot more but very slow internet so i haven't uploaded them
bobby thompson

Post by bobby thompson »

just found a frame on ebay cheap. rather hack one of those up and still have mine clean thanks! nice vids! the only vid of me is on youtube at pstr rehoboth. me corey. im the black cr that gets the wholeshot i dont know who corey is tho lol. that was before all the work to the bike much dif now. check it out
Kuma

Re: 500 haters!

Post by Kuma »

bobby thompson wrote:my only supporter is my wife.
Sounds like she's a keeper :wink:
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Check out the gen3 uncle cracker build in the stickys.

Buy the mounts from stoffers, spend some quality garage time and make it happen!

Be patient and take it easy, do it right once and you will be real happy, cut corners and cheat and it will bug you everytime your work on it or look at it or ride it.
dogger315

Post by dogger315 »

i know i can still race her w the 5oo in the open class even tho im doing verry well in the 250 class.
Swapping a 500 into a CRF (that's an easy decision), or a tired CR250 is a
good move. Doing the same to a CR you just spent a bunch of money to
bring back - not so much.

If you have experience racing a 500 and the right kind of track (long straights,
sweeping turns and big elevation changes), you might do as well as you have
been doing with your 250. If not, you might want to consider building the 500
as a second bike.

I have to admit, I like the strategy though; Asking if doing the 500 conversion
is the right move on a 500 specific site :wink:

dogger
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

personly i would find a average condition bike and convert it keep your pristine 250 a pristine 250 best of both worlds mate my $.02
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:bonus - your other nut will drop :lol:
X491 :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw---how about some pics of this pristine 250?
bobby thompson

Post by bobby thompson »

dont know how to post pics. would like to know tho!
iggys-amsoil

Re: 500 haters!

Post by iggys-amsoil »

bobby thompson wrote: my only supporter is my wife.
You are one lucky soul, I'd go with that alone.

Yeah I didn't want to do that to my steel framer but it all worked out well as britincali ended up with the roller.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

How tight is the money situation? Plenty of used 02 250s out there, just go buy a whole bike on the cheap and have both. Its not that expensive of an option. Then you will have TWO to ride! Trust me, THAT'S a great option! One I exercise myself. Shit even if you went and bought a post close ratio tranny 500 and rode it stock for a year and saved some coin for the conversion, you would have time to get used to the power. Then when you finish the build, you will REALLY appreciate the bike. Just a thought.
bobby thompson

Post by bobby thompson »

keeping my 250 together found lots of canidates for cheap money. now the only issue is finding a 500 for cheap money. thats gonna be tough! il find one tho! i hope lol
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Well, going from a 250 to a 500 is nuts. the difference in the power is insane. My rear tire is shit, and I have a hard time keeping both wheels planted coming out of corners. I cant imagine how she will be with a new meat.

I can pull a 4th gear holeshot in grass, My buddy barely pulls 3rd on his 06 CRF450. I could probably do a 5th gear, but i didnt need to. It launched away from him right out of the hole and held a bike length on him the whole drag, while doing 4th and 5th gear power wheelies.

Its like riding a whole different machine. It is an awesomely fun bike, but I am honestly faster on my 250. For now.
The hard clutch pull slows me down after about a half hour, A Magura is in my future. It is twice as hard as my 250.

The bike makes more HP than almost anyone can use on a track, and it is much more tiring to ride. But, the smile factor on the 500 is MUCH better.

I love the CR500. It is a fun bike that pulls harder than anything else Ive ever ridden. But, it is also a monster that commands respect and will throw any rider of any size off of it faster than you can shit your pants. You dont carelessly twist the throttle on this one, cause it will pull 3rd from a rolling idle. Corners come up FAST on this thing.

Keep the 250, build a 500 and set it up nice as well. Then when you jump back on the 250, it will feel like a childs toy, and you will find yourself shifting it far too soon as well :lol:
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Yep, do both!

Ah hell get a gen3 125 too, a complete matched set
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

ive got a 97 CR250 & a 97 AF500,
the 250's easy to ride on the tight stuff, but long runs, hills, mud, sand, the 500 smashes the competition, providing you can hang on.

BUT!!!!!! most importantly is the "WOW" factor ... both by the admiring crowd when you kick it over & the way it scares the fuck out of you when you give it a hand full & your not ready for it.

Others call it LOVE! @ first bike.
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)