Picked up a rough 1990

Recount your rebuilds here!
knobby668

Picked up a rough 1990

Post by knobby668 »

It has seen better days and will see them again. Runs good and strong for a $500 bike.
Image[/img]
CR500...WINNING!!
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Smoking deal, the motor's worth twice that!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

'90 is a good year too, first year of the aluminum waterpump and the later year clutch, reeds, head and jug. It would be easy to find any parts for since with the exception of 4th and 5th gear all the parts are the same all the way through '01
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
knobby668

Post by knobby668 »

Further inspection I found the piston has a crack in it. Big end measures .030, should I run it or just go ahead and freshen everything up at once?

I found this listed on Reno Craigslist under RV not motorcycles. The ad said asking $1000. I email him and ask for a photo since there was not any in the ad. I get a response the next day with a photo and he tells me "$600 if you buy it today" I haul ass there and offer him $500 and he takes it.
Happened so fast I did not have time to tell my wife, that's what I tell myself anyway. :lol:
CR500...WINNING!!
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

do a rebuild now, or kick yourself in the ass when something fails later.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

knobby668 wrote:Further inspection I found the piston has a crack in it. Big end measures .030, should I run it or just go ahead and freshen everything up at once?

I found this listed on Reno Craigslist under RV not motorcycles. The ad said asking $1000. I email him and ask for a photo since there was not any in the ad. I get a response the next day with a photo and he tells me "$600 if you buy it today" I haul ass there and offer him $500 and he takes it.
Happened so fast I did not have time to tell my wife, that's what I tell myself anyway. :lol:
You got it cheap.
Put a top end on it. Either that or put it on later along with a crank and possibly new cases. That would really suck.
Check the crank bearings and pressure test it or just go ahead and put new seals in it too. That's what I'm doing now. New top and seals.
knobby668

Post by knobby668 »

Kuma wrote:do a rebuild now, or kick yourself in the ass when something fails later.
:wink:
CR500...WINNING!!