500 Holeshots

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
NightBiker07

500 Holeshots

Post by NightBiker07 »

How do you guys get a good holeshot on these things?

My rear tire is TRASH, for starters. This will be rectified very soon. It spins first and second, and will start to grab and wheelie in 3rd. Might as well do 3rd gear starts.

Drag racing a 250F, It gets me out of the hole every time. By a solid 2 bikes. But by the time the wheel spinning/wheelie-ing stops near the top of third, 4th and 5th I rip by that 250F like its standing still. But against a 450, I dont think I'll be able to recover from that kind of fall-behind.

I've rode 450's, and I still cant get over how powerful this motor is. It easily outpulls any 450 I've ever rode on, provided you get traction and keep the front end down.....maybe fill the tire with cement?

On a side note, I raced a guy for a lap that was riding a KTM 550 pinger. He was raving over how he's had all the big bore pingers, and the KTM is absolutely the fastest thing ever. But by the time we were done, he only had me by 4 bike lengths, and I'm still fiddling with the suspension. (previous owner was WAY heavier than me, I like a soft suspension, not a damn pogo stick).

Point is, this bike kicks ass. Wish I had done one up a year ago. The thing SUCKS to kick, but she starts easy if you get good kicks in. so the jetting seems to be good.

And props to Bob for getting this place going, and to him and all the awesome members here for getting such a huge amount of good information, without having to sift through all the bullshit about people clocking their bikes at 120MPH by their cop buddy....
:lol:
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Drag racing a 250F, It gets me out of the hole every time. By a solid 2 bikes.
if your bike is running right its either your tire or rider error, maybe terrian, but i doubt it
i like 2nd for high traction areas, and 3rd for hard pack, gravel road type stuff
heres a video of my only running engine race start, skip to 1:10 to see
theres plenty of holeshot videos of 500s

now with porting, and other stuff it will pull 4th on a gravel road, not too sure whether its faster or not than 3rd, but its kinda cool to only need to shift once (was running 14/48 for this... poor clutch)
keep in mind i weigh 140 lbs :cool: power to weight
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I was trying to video the 5th gear starts yesterday, camera issues :evil:
my ported bikes will do it on a field or road, on heavy traction 4th is liekly the limit. Adjusted the cable a few times :lol:
B440

Post by B440 »

Running 15/49 with a street tire on pavement: I use second gear and that will accelerate all the way out to 100ft with good clutch slipping to keep the front end down.
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

I have pulled 3rd gear starts at the moto-x track with my 85/97 Gen1,
but it has 13/52 gearing. I leave it in 3rd for most of the track, but in the straighter stuff I will click into 4th, try to hang on, and then get slowed down before I get tossed over the berm.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

i'm at 14/48 :wink:
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Well, first gear is out of the question for sure! :lol:

I haven't raced my '92 but have raced my '82 480 which is a 4 speed.
I use 2nd mostly but tried 3rd on the 480.
I had to slip the clutch but it was great because i had tremendous acceleration after I got off the line, plus I didn't have to shift.
I'm working on an '85 that will be raced in AHRMA along with the 480.
It will be interesting comparing the 3 different models.
100hp honda

Re: 500 Holeshots

Post by 100hp honda »

NightBiker07 wrote:How do you guys get a good holeshot on these things?

My rear tire is TRASH, for starters. This will be rectified very soon. It spins first and second, and will start to grab and wheelie in 3rd. Might as well do 3rd gear starts.

Drag racing a 250F, It gets me out of the hole every time. By a solid 2 bikes. But by the time the wheel spinning/wheelie-ing stops near the top of third, 4th and 5th I rip by that 250F like its standing still. But against a 450, I dont think I'll be able to recover from that kind of fall-behind.

I've rode 450's, and I still cant get over how powerful this motor is. It easily outpulls any 450 I've ever rode on, provided you get traction and keep the front end down.....maybe fill the tire with cement?

On a side note, I raced a guy for a lap that was riding a KTM 550 pinger. He was raving over how he's had all the big bore pingers, and the KTM is absolutely the fastest thing ever. But by the time we were done, he only had me by 4 bike lengths, and I'm still fiddling with the suspension. (previous owner was WAY heavier than me, I like a soft suspension, not a damn pogo stick).

Point is, this bike kicks ass. Wish I had done one up a year ago. The thing SUCKS to kick, but she starts easy if you get good kicks in. so the jetting seems to be good.

And props to Bob for getting this place going, and to him and all the awesome members here for getting such a huge amount of good information, without having to sift through all the bullshit about people clocking their bikes at 120MPH by their cop buddy....
550 is big heavy sumbitch. 10lb more than honda. might work fine if theres no corners in the track
NightBiker07

Re: 500 Holeshots

Post by NightBiker07 »

100hp honda wrote:
NightBiker07 wrote:How do you guys get a good holeshot on these things?

550 is big heavy sumbitch. 10lb more than honda. might work fine if theres no corners in the track
The guy wasnt that fast, I would have whipped his ass on my 250. It was a whooped out oval track. The only reason I lost was the whoops, the bike gets crazy in them. Im not riding it anymore till the airbox is sorted out, the shock rubbing on the filter is unsettling.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

if that engine wasnt assbackwards it may have some popularity on the conversion scene. be a sweet setup in a modern chassis
ChumlyRocksa540

Post by ChumlyRocksa540 »

Whats wrong with a left kicker? Iv grown to like the left kicker at least for big bores
I like to party
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:i'm at 14/48 :wink:
I like this the best for moto as well. In my racing days I was 210lbs, 2nd gear starts and lots of clutch slipping to keep the front end down. Pretty much same thing with a 12 paddle at glamis except if it was wet. Ended up on my ass a few times on wet sand and a little too much traction :lol:
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

ChumlyRocksa540 wrote:Whats wrong with a left kicker? Iv grown to like the left kicker at least for big bores
I hate left kickers but thats not the problem for conversions. Most the time kicker on the left means chain on the right....have fun with that swap now there is a whole lot going on.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

nothing wrong with left kick. takes 20min to get used to. problem is using that engine in a different frame with everything assbackwards. the list of required modifications is a mile long. and actually the left kick is a huge issue. one of the biggest problems atleast in a cr250 frame. would have to notch the side spar to even have the kicker functional. but ya the chain deal would be a pain in the ballz. and with the carb on the wrong side it fucks with your shock bladder so you probly need a opposite side shock. now your fuked on the airbox. and theres more bull shit than this. some poeple especially on the other site dont have a clue what a big frikin mess it would be until your actually looking at this project for your own eyes and seeing one problem after the next. been a long time but if i recall the only good thing is the Y and cradle dont need any work. just new motor mounts. got a bunch of pics on the other comp but it died and i still aint taken them off the hard drive
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Practice Practice Practice, and Lining up with a bunch of 450's @ Glen Helen. :lol:
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882