new filter ?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
100hp honda

new filter ?

Post by 100hp honda »

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Its not a UNI, so why even fuck around with it???
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Its not a UNI, so why even fuck around with it???
my most recent experience with a UNI filter, oiled till it was dripping with bel ray oil....

didnt even last 80 minutes of racing, jug is on its way to roosty
what we really need is some kind of pre filter where the dirt hits it and either falls off or goes thru, not stick and plug up, or maybe a mini cyclone thing like heavy equipment use

not saying a diffrent brand filter woulda stoped all the dirt, im saying there has got to be a better way to do this
never had issues but i dont like how the uni is kinda sketchy how it seals to the airbox

after swaping the filter out second lap i saw the dirt and figured wtf its toast anyways put a new filter on and did another lap

this is still the same bore from last time a shovel full of dirt went thru, so its not too big a deal
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

European i think, local honda dealer races and recommends them here.
I think most filters are all right as long as you clean and change them often.
I seal all mating surfaces with grease not those poxy stick on things, never had a failure, touch wood
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I put grease inside the boot area in addition to the sealing lip, just inside the filter area to try and trap anything that might get through.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Gravel Scratcher wrote:I seal all mating surfaces with grease not those poxy stick on things, never had a failure, touch wood
What he said, I put a healthy coating of grease on sealing surface and I also highly recomend using a filterskin oiled with K&N oil over the top, it gets clogged and the uni under is still looking pristine.
I have heard that you can layer the skins and put a string coming out under the seat for each one, when you feel your loosing power due to a clogged filter pull one off and you have a fresh filter. make sure they're coded so you don't pull all foo on the first pull.

Also, sorry for asking but your basket is under both the foam and the funky Uni seal right?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Paper filters are "barrier" filters. They "block" contaminates from entering the engine by trapping them on the exterior. Paper filters are also pleated, giving them enormous surface area for their size to do this with.

Foam filters are "absorption" filters. The idea is to trap the particles in within the filter, not just on the surface.

When you over oil a foam filter, you transform it from a absorption filter into a barrier filter.

A foam filter has nowhere enough surface area to be able to do this.

Try less oil next time, but make sure the oil is suspended throughout the entire filter.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

you forgot to squeeze out excess oil ? :lol: i bet that made a mess in the airbox

filter skinz work good over the filter. been using them for quit a while. i use them dry. some people oil them. what ever. personal deal i guess
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

2strokes, if I was having the dust damages you seem to be suffering I would definetly be trying to prefilter the air box in some way to take some load off of the air filter itself.

In the wet enduros, I'll tape up a lot of the airbox, as sometimes the water holes are nearly seat deep. The side benefit is although it probably hurts performance a bit, the filter stays cleaner. The bike is also a bit quieter which helps in sound tests. (this is on my gen3 250 btw)

I'm also using the no-toil filters and no-toil oil.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

The only real solution is to be in the front of the pack! :lol:
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

make sure the oil is suspended throughout the entire filter.
it sat in the sun, worked it in real good then added more
Try less oil next time
no way, theres parts of the filter that are dry from the dirt soaking up all the oil, less oil and it wont last 20 minutes
The only real solution is to be in the front of the pack!
i was till my bike flamed out 2 minutes in for no reason at all, either electrical or water in the fuel?
kicked for 5 minutes, by the time it was going i was behind everyone, fought back to 2nd, then didnt want to do the last lap so i waited for the time cutoff
I'll tape up a lot of the airbox
the bottom is already taped
filter skinz work good over the filter. been using them for quit a while.
there damn near impossible to get on my bike, ive spent 45 minutes trying to get it to fit right, went and raced, and there was a little chunk of filter not covered at the back of the airbox, well the dirt just went thru there.....

I put a healthy coating of grease on sealing surface
always do that, never had a problem sealing there
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

DT
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Ditch that POS X airbox and put a R airbox on it. Then you can get skins on without magic tricks.

Last year for fun I tried to go a whole season on one filter, twin air. I don't like UNI's. I have learned to keep an eye on the seams on the TA's here, very important as I clean em in gas then soap and water. Granted I don't log nearly as many hours as you and your conditions are worse. I lost track of how many skins I went thru. Changed this filter this spring outta guilt. The airboot was clean as whistle and the filter could have gone longer.

That bike that dogger315 has is running the R box.......

Part of the reason I really like the intelajet is I can tune the carb as the skin gets plugged and keep leaning it out till she is still loading up, then I know the skin is done.

Curious how well the skin works unoiled. Gonna give that a try for sure.

Side not the other product that PC racing makes that is an extra coarse layer of foam like a skin is a waste of time compared to skins IMO. They got a hole in the middle to allow access to the filter bolt, freaking stupid move.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

roosty, i just figured out who makes moose airfilters....... DT1
thought you might want to know :wink:
there my favourite so far, wont touch a twin air, seeing how thin and cheap they look
4stroke=dead fish
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Some folks diss them, but I have always used Twin Airs on my bike as well as my sons and have never had a problem with them falling apart or letting sand into the motor. I ride West Texas desert and dunes.
I put a healthy coating of grease on sealing surface
always do that, never had a problem sealing there
In the pic you posted of your Uni I dont see a nice thick coat of grease to seal the filter to the airbox.

99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

AlisoBob wrote:
Foam filters are "absorption" filters. The idea is to trap the particles in within the filter, not just on the surface.

When you over oil a foam filter, you transform it from a absorption filter into a barrier filter.

Try less oil next time, but make sure the oil is suspended throughout the entire filter.
thats how i see it to :wink:
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Are you guys actually using oil or a filter spray?
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Tharrell wrote:Are you guys actually using oil or a filter spray?
Tharrell dosent have to worry getting dirt in his engine no time to get any in there when you loop out on the grass out front of your house. :wink:
Kevin
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I've had good results with maxima FFT, nice and sticky, blue color so you can see spots that need more. I usually put it in from the inside and work it through. seems like belray is about the same.
I tried some UNI oil and did not like it, it does not show on the filter, and it flows, maybe I used too much but after sitting a while I find oil dripping from the airbox.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Are you guys actually using oil or a filter spray?
the jug of oil
In the pic you posted of your Uni I dont see a nice thick coat of grease to seal the filter to the airbox.
thats cause i crank it down tight, most of it smears into the filter, and quite a bit stays stuck to the metal ring that it seals against
never had dirt get by there

most likely i will have a 2nd (smaller) bike next year that i can use for dusty races and other stuff
the 500 sucks too much air for that tiny filter
4stroke=dead fish
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

freeride588 wrote:
Tharrell dosent have to worry getting dirt in his engine no time to get any in there when you loop out on the grass out front of your house. :wink:
No time cause my ass is still sore! :lol:

Naw, I've taken the tiddler out a couple of times and my 2001 CR250.
Might take one out in a few minutes, it's TOO nice a day not to.

Anyway, the reason I asked about the oil is because that's the way it was done back in the day, back before the tacky spray from the cans.
I use the spray cans now.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

What about one of the "loud mouth" kits that have supposed to be an oversized clamp on style filter