97 steel rebuild

Recount your rebuilds here!
bookie60

97 steel rebuild

Post by bookie60 »

hi all. i'm fairly new here but i've been lurking for a while. i finally decided i was man enough for a 500 so i recently found a 97 model that was fairly clean. my plan was just to ride it as is but as it was 105+ in north texas every freakin day when i got it, i had way to much time to sit and stare at it instead of riding so i ended up with this
and this
and eventually this
and this
the frame is just back from the powder coaters and is pearl white. im working on polishing the swinger and i'm slapping a new piston in the engine as soon as the gasket kit gets here. i tore the top end apart and the bore is .25 mm over and the piston was a little worn. would have been about .006 clearance so im replacing it. with the new piston the clearance will be closer to .003 and the bore is still pretty round so i think i'm good to go for the season hopefully(i won't be riding this bike a ton). also found some oldschool graphics that i think will look awesome on all white plastics
more updates soon
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Welcome. :lol:

Agreed, 105 is just too damn hot to ride.

Hey, where did you snag the white plastics and graphics?
bookie60

Post by bookie60 »

thanx. white plastics came from all over. bike bandit i think for the plates and rear fender. motostrano for the front supermoto fender which may or may not be used. and i've got white shrouds coming from mxsouth. those were the hardest to find. i still need to find a white dirt front fender oh and dang the shrouds reminded me that i need to try to sand and polish the tank still. it is white and real grungy. i've heard that abrasive sink cleaner with bleach works good on white plastic and that future floor wax is as good as plastic renew. so i'm gonna try that. oh and the graphics came from here http://graphicmx.com/hkit.shtml these guys seem to be slow shippers though, i need to give them a call.