Buck up and buy a neckbrace! Cheaper than a wheelchair

Helmets, Safety Gear, Seats, Pegs, Bars and all the Other Stuff.
kball1313

Buck up and buy a neckbrace! Cheaper than a wheelchair

Post by kball1313 »

So after seeing a young kid get paralyzed at my local spot 3 weeks ago, that finally gave me the push to order up a neck brace before my annual trip to the OR dunes.

Got it the same day we left. We drove 10 hours through the night, I napped for an hour and jumped on the old CR500.

First day out there, I went off the top of a 30ft dune, completely missed the tranny side, hit a lip that was on the top edge and it bucked me forward. 3rd gear pinned with 14/45 gearing, so it was a decent speed. Since i've run through the wreck in head a million times already, I knew I was in bad shape before I hit the ground. A friend saw it happen. Landed about 80 feet from where the wheels last touched. Front wheel hit first-past center already. I cartwheeled twice, the bike stuck in the sand hard. Got up seeing stars, tried to go pick up the bike and felt my bones grinding. Then my vision went away and all I saw was white.

My friend that saw it almost passed out and said I just dead sailored. Partly i'm sure because I slept for only an hour in a day and a half, but I also did what I tell first timers to never do. Ride blindly through an area you haven't checked out already-*THAT DAY*

So anyway, my head was the first part of my body to hit, I flipped over one more complete revolution and landed on my back. My V3 Fox will be getting shelved now for good, there's a big smear mark in the neck brace where it pressed down. There's a clear bruise from the brace where it popped my collarbone, but i'm pretty sure it saved me from a lot worse injury. I got my X-rays and have no neck damage and i'm thinking it's the best $250 I ever spent.

If if doesn't kill you, it hurts like hell.
Quads are dirtbikes for fat kids.
CR525Bruce

Post by CR525Bruce »

Been thinking about getting one, you just made up my mind. Sorry it happened to you but thanks for the story and have a speedy recovery.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I'm with you.
I bought an Alpinestars brace last year.
Can't even tell it's on when I'm riding.

If you ride, YOU need a brace.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I got a leatt ordered yesterday
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

:shock:

Holy shit dude! Well glad it worked! I really need to order one for myself and the boy. Get well soon!
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Mad Dog

Re: Buck up and buy a neckbrace! Cheaper than a wheelchair

Post by Mad Dog »

kball1313 wrote:So after seeing a young kid get paralyzed ... i'm thinking it's the best $250 I ever spent.

Yup, Broke my scapula, shelved my TLD, saved my neck

Priceless................................
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

sorry to hear that, hope you heal quick

what brace were you using?
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
kball1313

brace

Post by kball1313 »

It's an alpinestars Bionic. Bought it from Hriancik racing in CA. Pretty helpful dude and he convinced me to order a M even though I thought for sure i'd be a L judging by the sizing chart on the alpinestars website.
If if doesn't kill you, it hurts like hell.
Quads are dirtbikes for fat kids.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Yup, that's the one. :)
Got mine from Rocky Mountain.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/produ ... lyId=25877
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I only wear mine when I have a helmet on

Sounds like a wild ride. My family would be trying to convince me to park it.

My niece went off a trail over a bank 2 summer ago. 6 months in a cast or halo. Yep gotta have em, especially on a CR5.

Glad U R not talking garblygook
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

I've started to use a Leatte GPX Club 2.

Something that Leatte are Really stuffing up on is their sizeing charts. If you check them out, anyone with a bigger than 110cm chest dia., Will have real concerns it won't fit.

All the searching I did, came up with nothing to let me know what length hinges came with them, wether or not I needed to get longer hinges, or wether or not I needed to get a different angle rear spine piece.

Their info is piss poor.

I found a couple of posts from big blokes saying they found they fit - they had shared my doubts about fit.

I've a 127 /130cm chest, without expansion.

I found that, with use of the longest hinges, and adjustment of the rear spine piece, with a little extra spacer I made (just to 'take up' a bit of a gap in the spine piece slot, while giving myself a bit more adjustment), and a few minutes of adjustment, it fit well.

As I've a damaged neck, with limited movement, I have no problem with loosing head movement due to the brace. I've a bloody big neck (no neck, shoulders, then head :D ), so the only problem I have is chafing from, what I feel, is badley placed seams / seam reinforcements. Easily sorted out by using a couple of my ladies panty liners.

So, average, big bastards out there, the Leattes do fit.

I got mine from BTO (listen to Pulp MX for the code to get 15% discount), and the price, even with freight, made it about $100 less than the recent, reduced, OZ price.

I think that the only reason I'm still walking, is from having such a strong neck /shoulder by genetics and training. But I've long felt the next 'lawn dart' was going to leave me in a bad way. So any extra protection, is a good thing. The Leatte I've finally got, is a good thing.