Service Hondas "Improved Ignition" vs OEM

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

AlisoBob wrote:The same reason everybody bought those aluminum exhaust flanges last year...

:bling: :bling: :bling: :bling: :bling:
hahahaa you must be refering to the billet piece. i sure did learn a good lesson on that. used it 1 time, blew so much shit over the front of my motor. its still laying in my garage i think if someone needs alot of spooge on the front of their motor :bash:
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Guess I would be the 3rd ...
and no you dont need to change the cdi to run lights unless you go S/H
the e-line uses the stock set up completley
the 45w ricky uses the stock set up to I think its 45 it mite be 25 ?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

what would kick ass is to make a custom curve. i think theres places that can make one up on their custom cdi boxes. make it kick like a mule at 1500rpm and rev like a mother until the head blows off! :devious:
ou812

Post by ou812 »

what would kick ass is to make a custom curve. i think theres places that can make one up on their custom cdi boxes. make it kick like a mule at 1500rpm and rev like a mother until the head blows off
It's been done , it has 10 curves and you can switch to any 2 on the fly.

http://www.mtracing.com/MTR3/home_files/page0001.htm
the 45w ricky uses the stock set up to I think its 45 it mite be 25 ?
Ricky is 25, moose is 45 nothing bigger, more windings can go under the stock flywheel.
redrocket190

More on Service Honda Ignition...

Post by redrocket190 »

I have a '07 SH CR500AFX with the digital ignition, and have had the same starting problems. Very very difficult to start cold, and then maybe 3 kicks when warm - not good for dead engine GP starts. Now the bike will not fire up at all having died out on the practice track. While SH is sending me a complete replacement ignition, the very need for the rabbit kick method makes me wonder - is it worth the hassle? My size and agility means I need the one big kick method - just like my other bikes!

My gut says nice people, great bike, bad design choice. Through contacts on this board I am going to try and back-to-back test with the OEM ignition. Thanks for the help!
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i think the stock ignition is definatly the way to go. they work, EVERYTIME. if you need lights just get the aftermarket stator or whatever it is for the lights
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

iggys-amsoil wrote:
britincali wrote:Rabbit weighs 250+ and cant start his.
True, but his knee is pretty jacked up.
Yes, his knee's are in bad shape. That would make anything a pain to start. Give the man a break......

Although, I will prefer and continue to run a stock ignition. The Service Honda unit seems to more trouble than its worth. I am interested in Bob's test. He has a certain way of testing things; will all fact, no sugar coating...even if it means stepping on someone's peter. So lets have it Bob.......
Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot.......
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

iggys-amsoil wrote:
Yes, his knee's are in bad shape. That would make anything a pain to start. Give the man a break......

I prefer and will continue to run a stock ignition. The Service Honda unit seems to more trouble than its worth. I am interested in Bob's test. He has a certain way of testing things; will all fact, no sugar coating...even if it means stepping on someone's peter. So lets have it Bob.......
britincali

Post by britincali »

Rosco-Peeko wrote:
iggys-amsoil wrote:

Chill out rob I wasnt saying anything negative about rabbit, just that the ignition is a PITA to start and if a big boy cant do it what hope does someone like MFDB have.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

britincali wrote:
Rosco-Peeko wrote:
iggys-amsoil wrote: True, but his knee is pretty jacked up.

Chill out rob I wasnt saying anything negative about rabbit, just that the ignition is a PITA to start and if a big boy cant do it what hope does someone like MFDB have.
I am cool dude...just stating. Its all good
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

I have noticed that many riders these days do a rabbit kick starting method. Until recently I just thought these people didn't know how to start a bike. When I was a kid, seemed like all riders had to jump up and slam down to start bikes, including the Harley guys. Now I see these young moto racers do it all the time. Like say when they lay the bike down during a moto, I see them giving the bike multiple rapid kicks, then get back into the race. Looks weird to me, but I guess that's the way these days. Or is it because most racers are short little light weight guys, and they can't get a good whack on the kicker like the riders of the old days? I miss the old days when you had to be hardy to ride big ill handling hard kicking machines with back breaking suspension. :lol:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
britincali

Post by britincali »

Most of the four stokes have some kind of compression release that favors rabbit kicks, also dont forget no one is riding maico 490s/CR500s/YZ490s in the big televised events anymore, anyone can rabbit kick a 125 all day long.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Yeah and when your in a race you don't have time to dick around with a starting drill.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

this is all horse shit. put the stock ignition back on, gaurteed ill will work everytime and runs like a MOFO. no rabbit kick fiddly fucking around needed either. who was the fucking genius that decided the cr5 need a different cdi anyways? AJ? what a moron.
Last edited by 100hp honda on November 16th, 2007, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
britincali

Post by britincali »

100hp honda wrote:this is all horse shit. put the stock ignition back on, gaurteed ill will work everytime and runs like a MOFO. no rabbit kick fiddly fucking around needed either

:applaud:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Xylicon

Post by Xylicon »

^^^ Sigged :lmao:
ou812

Post by ou812 »

what would kick ass is to make a custom curve. i think theres places that can make one up on their custom cdi boxes. make it kick like a mule at 1500rpm and rev like a mother until the head blows off!
who was the fucking genius that decided the cr5 need a different cdi anyways? AJ? what a moron.
? Me very simple minded, please help me on this
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

their talking about the SH cdi box and its starting problems i think. i was just adding my worthless comments :rotfl: . it would be interesting to see the map of that SH cdi. does it have less advance at first, then retard farther on the top end? one thing i was thinking, these stock engines by design wont rev worth a shit, so having the cdi pull more timing out on the high end is a stupid idea i think. better to throw in a ton of advance right off the bat and short shift like the engine was really designed for. i tried fucking with my timing and the engine didnt run any better
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

100hp honda wrote: i tried fucking with my timing and the engine didnt run any better
same here, it was actually slower and the vibes were harsher. I had a tiny bit more hit down low, but lost on top. Set it back to stock and she runs great! If it aint broke, don't fix it.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Knos

Re: More on Service Honda Ignition...

Post by Knos »

redrocket190 wrote:I have a '07 SH CR500AFX with the digital ignition, and have had the same starting problems. Very very difficult to start cold, and then maybe 3 kicks when warm - not good for dead engine GP starts. Now the bike will not fire up at all having died out on the practice track. While SH is sending me a complete replacement ignition, the very need for the rabbit kick method makes me wonder - is it worth the hassle? My size and agility means I need the one big kick method - just like my other bikes!

My gut says nice people, great bike, bad design choice. Through contacts on this board I am going to try and back-to-back test with the OEM ignition. Thanks for the help!
how did you go swapping the wires mate?? any good? im looking at an AFX some time this year to
500's are for girl's.... damn
redrocket190

Re: More on Service Honda Ignition...

Post by redrocket190 »

Knos wrote:How did you go swapping the wires mate?? any good? im looking at an AFX some time this year to
I got distracted with racing at "Day in the Dirt", but there is a stock ignition waiting for me in Aliso Viejo and I'll get to it ASAP this week...
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:wink:
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

I too was considering one of those SH ignitions, but after reading all this , forget it.
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Am I correct in assuming the ignition system comes from Electrosport or they provide the parts? The CDI box is marked CD1590 and Google finds a match at Electrosport with a CDI for a Honda TRX450R. I also heard from the local shop that the someone with another Service Honda had had their ignition replaced by Electrosport.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_press1.html

For Immediate Release:
Oct 24th 2005

Electrosport Service Honda CR500AFX Lighting Stator, Flywheel and Digital CDI

Service Honda, known worldwide for making some of the most beautiful and brutal CR500’s on the planet were looking for a charging system solution for their new CR500AFX outfitted with off-road lighting. ElectroSport designed and produced a modern 8-pull stator, flywheel and digital CDI unit providing the latest cutting edge technology for Service Honda and the AFX model. For all CR500 riders, this is the best solution and the first time a full digital CDI has ever been developed. Easy to install, the new stator and flywheel fit in the stock side case quickly and put out a healthy 120 watts of lighting, Additionally, the all new digital CDI from ElectroSport gives the CR500 the most crisp engine response and tests confirmed that the CR500 equipped with the ElectroSport parts felt as if they had been race tuned with perfect jetting. Not a single hiccup or flat spot in the power output. This set-up is a great replacement and highly recommended for all CR500 riders looking for an upgrade for their current systems.