Gen 2 S/H rebuild

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
kevin_s

Gen 2 S/H rebuild

Post by kevin_s »

I'm taking a break from my 450 project to redo this bike.It's a 01 Service Honda gen 2 that I bought from another member here.I stripped it all down yesterday to do all new bearings in the swingarm,linkage,shock,and head bearings.I did the swingarm and linkage first and man were they toast.Today I'm going to do the shock and head bearings.
I have a couple of questions:
1.Do the swingarm bearings get pressed in flush to the inner bore of the swingarm on the outboard side?or do they go in farther?
2.Do these use the 54mm and 59mm spacers like my 450?
3.I did not notice a mount for the ign box or coil,does anybody have pictures of where their's mount?
4.Is it true you have to take the outer crankcase cover off to get the engine in or out?
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

1) IDK
2) I would guess same as gen 3 conversions. I would have to look up the sizes but they are the gen 3 125 swaped side to side. Remember this is my GUESS. SH used aluminium shims. They should have named them cr500 AS.
3) Image

This is the LH spar. The foam tape to the right is over where the shroud rubs the frame for reference. I had to pull the rad out of the way to get this pic. I have never had the coil off, but I bet there are tapped holes in the frame. 6mm bolts and aluminium sleeve/ spacers. You can get spaces at the home depot in the little bins in the hardware dept. Not sure if they have aluminium though. Plastic for sure.

Forgot to get a pic of the coil, but it is on the steering head behind th # plate.

4) i usually take the clutch cover only off just to help out. Back it in from the RH (kick starter) side. sometimes getting the swing arm outta the way by moving it back 3" or so helps minimize frustration.

Do a gen 3 body conversion. IMO looks better, parts and graphics more available also.

Good luck
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Give SH a call, the few times I have called they have been helpfull, if it is one of their bikes, don't see why they wouldn't help.
maddog1927 wrote:1) Do a gen 3 body conversion. IMO looks better, parts and graphics more available also.
Now a little thread hijacking :twisted:
what does it take to swap the body, ban I keep the gen 2 gas tank?
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Kuma wrote:Give SH a call, the few times I have called they have been helpfull, if it is one of their bikes, don't see why they wouldn't help.
maddog1927 wrote:1) Do a gen 3 body conversion. IMO looks better, parts and graphics more available also.
Now a little thread hijacking :twisted:
what does it take to swap the body, ban I keep the gen 2 gas tank?
Kuma you have to have the gen 3 tank to fit the gen 3 shrouds here is a write up on the other site. http://cr500riders.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1289751349 Weird the author of that thread is maddog1927 i have a gen 2 that im going to do and i wil definetly be upgrading to the gen 3 shrouds and tank.
Kevin
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Maddog,thanks for the info.Yes,my frame has the flat plate welded to it just like your's for the coil mount.

Unfortunately I have already ordered new plastics from Honda,but thanks for that info
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

I put mine here, using a 250 coil:

another shot:

The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

hoofarted wrote:I put mine here
Thanks for that.
Where did you put your CDI box?
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Pretty sure the CDI goes under the front number plate
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Kuma wrote:Pretty sure the CDI goes under the front number plate
Exactly. You may have to extend the wires though IIRC...
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Ok,thanks :cool:
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Some progress pictures..

Is this AJ's initials on the y?
Rue

Post by Rue »

keep the pictures coming, nice to see all the swingarm and linkage bearings replaced and repacked. Like the new plastics, she's coming back to life! :cool:
AFC Build link
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... 220#106220

"Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love" (David McCullough)
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Thanks Rue.
I'm back on it now after my trip,engine all completed now with fresh bore and new piston.Rue hooked me up with a complete ignition system for the bike (thanks Rue).
I tried putting on the subframe and air box but I'm thinking I have the wrong air box boot because it wont line up with the carb inlet (it's about 1/2in too low) :? If I'm not mistaken the stock one from this bike should fit correct?
Rue

Post by Rue »

It should line up, but I never got a chance to check. :? I don't think the member I got the roller from switched the boots but couldn't be 100% sure... thanks for hooking me up with the water pump cover! :wink:
AFC Build link
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... 220#106220

"Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love" (David McCullough)
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I have some extra 00 airboots, I can check the part # if you need it. The fit isn't the best but it is workable and I've never had one pop off.

Pics of my grafics, not the new ones.

kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Ok,the airbox was correct It just has to go on a certain way.I still need some new rims but it's good enough to ride for now.Thanks for all the advice on this.This bike really wants to wheely but turns a lot better than my 98 and it's easyer going from sitting to standing.

Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

Call Colin over at Faster USA when you need rims if you don't want to lace and true yourself. He's a good dude and has pretty good prices, they also do hub polishing now. I sent a pair of hubs to him this week and will post what they turn out like.
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Mik329 wrote:Call Colin over at Faster USA when you need rims if you don't want to lace and true yourself. He's a good dude and has pretty good prices, they also do hub polishing now. I sent a pair of hubs to him this week and will post what they turn out like.
Thanks,does he have a web site?
Looking forwards to the hub pictures.
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

www.fasterusa.com
I bought a set of black wheels with red hubs about six months ago and they are holding up good on my 450. Much better than that China Warp9 crap all over Fleybay. I'm doing the polished hubs and black rims for another wheel set....
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

we just bought some rims from over your way of ebay $579, dnas billet hubs over 1300 aud here. $779 landed on my door and colour hoops and billet hubs heavy duty s/s spokes good value
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Thanks for the info.
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

My CDI is underneath the tank on my conversion. Much cleaner looking than under the number plate, im not sure why they didnt put them there from the factory? less wiring harness stress too.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.