100ft Holeshot Drag Races

Who beat who?

B440

100ft Holeshot Drag Races

Post by B440 »

So I decided to get in on some drag racing with the 500. The oval speedway near my house was running this: http://100footdrags.com/default.aspx. 100ft keeps the speeds down and I guess that equals out to be safer?

My best time was 2.63 seconds on the tarmac with a stock bike running an intermediate MX tire. My friend on his TRX250R with a YZ426 motor and holeshot tires was running nearly the same times. For reference, there was a real dragster there with a dial-in of 2.44 and an MGB car with a Ford 302 V8 stuffed in running 2.55. Anyway, my bud and I both dialed in at 2.65 for the eliminations and went head-to-head. He got me by 0.10

I had to run in 3rd gear because of the 12/49 sprockets that were on my bike. I knew 1st would be useless and I tried 2nd during test-and-tune, but that resulted in wheelies that had me backing off the throttle around the 50ft mark.

No footage from the first race. Couldn't get a cameraman in time. I plan on going again to try and best my quickest time. Just finished mounting up a street tire and squashed the forks down. Any chance of damaging the internals of the forks if I leave them squashed for a week?

This is the new tire I'm using
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Get yourself some swinger extensions like the hill guys use and go through the gears :3g:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Exactly, 3rd gear start extened with a dominator, should be the same as a 3rd gear start at the same gearing on traction like that
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

The longer the swing arm the less traction, so your probably only needing a few " inches also an override tranny 1st through 3rd no clutch and you can hold it wide open.
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
B440

Post by B440 »

Went racing again. Changed the setup:

Street tire and squashed the forks using tie-downs. Also switched to a 15 tooth front sprocket. Used second gear. Did much better in test-and-tune. 2.38 seconds was my best time.

Yeah I could get a longer swingarm and start spending money, but what's the point? They use a dial-in for the eliminator. All I really need to win is a slow bike like my Ninja 250 and a consistantly quick reaction time. I'm just happy that I could get under 2.40 and now I know that I could beat my buddy's YZF426/TRX250R hybrid quad in a head-to-head race. :D
B440

Post by B440 »

Videos. My gf has zero exoerience filming and refused to use the tripod.

This was my best run

This was the eliminator and I was so excited that I dumped the clutch and lost of course