Kevin_s 04 CRF450 -500 CONVERSION

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
kevin_s

Kevin_s 04 CRF450 -500 CONVERSION

Post by kevin_s »

Ok,I give in,I am ate the fuck up with wanting to build one so here I go.
I have an 04 CRF450 frame,swingarm,and fuel tank.Yes I know it would be way cheaper to buy a complete roller but I'm tired of waiting to find one so I have a frame and swing arm to start with.

kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

I bought a 86 CR500 engine off craigslist from a crack head for $300 missing a few parts,It is bored 1.5mm? piston is bad but the bore is still good.Cases are both good,the right outer clutch cover is missing and I'm sure it was junk anyway's.I have a later model cover coming from another member this week.I split the cases on fri and low and behold everything is in great shape.So I guess I am going to use this engine for my project.Tomorrow I will press out the rear case bushings so we can make the right ones.

Do any of you hoons have a engine jig for sale or one they could loan me?
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Today I made an engine jig,will be a whole lot easyer working around it than a complete engine.

kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

I got a friend to make me new case bushings and swingarm spacers.
54mm in the LH side
59mm on the RH side
I'm going to drop in my complete engine in to be sure but do the spacers sound correct? :?:

If it is correct I'm going to break out the saws all.
UknowDamright

Post by UknowDamright »

kevin_s wrote:I got a friend to make me new case bushings and swingarm spacers.
54mm in the LH side
59mm on the RH side
I'm going to drop in my complete engine in to be sure but do the spacers sound correct? :?:

If it is correct I'm going to break out the saws all.
those are the right spacers, they worked for me, I just bought CR125 bushings
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Yup... cheap-cheap
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Thanks guy's.

Another question, I need to buy a sub frame and air box and was wondering if they are the same from 2002-2004
:?:
cr5004life

Post by cr5004life »

02-04 should all be the same, i dont belive they changed until 05
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

cr5004life wrote:02-04 should all be the same, i dont belive they changed until 05
Ok great ,thanks.
Just to recap,the stock 04 airbox will work for me if I use a boot off a 98-99? cr250? :?:
zorak-2

Post by zorak-2 »

02 is one of its own kind. I have an 02 frame that i started to build and had an 04 sub frame and their was something different about the two. the air boot and box did not line up so that tells me they different between the years.

if your interested i have a one industries gripper seat for sale.
This site rocks
GEN 4 CRF500
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

zorak-2 wrote:02 is one of its own kind. I have an 02 frame that i started to build and had an 04 sub frame and their was something different about the two. the air boot and box did not line up so that tells me they different between the years.

if your interested i have a one industries gripper seat for sale.
Thanks for the info,I'm taking a break on this bike right now so no need for a seat right now.
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Sold my gen2 Service honda so I'm back on the 450.I bought a partial roller off flea-bay (an 03) so I'm doing up the 04 frame while I wait for the new one to get here.
Today I cut off the lower mounts,the Y,and and ordered all the material.
My plan is to re-use the factory Y and cradle by using stubs like other people here have done in the past.I'll post pictures as I make progress.
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

I was wondering if anybody has tried using 00-01 cr250 radiators on one of these crf450's? I need to buy new ones anyway so I figured iit might save me from having to modify the crf radiators.

Most of my parts are here now,just waiting on some free time to get on it.
UknowDamright

Post by UknowDamright »

kevin_s wrote:I was wondering if anybody has tried using 00-01 cr250 radiators on one of these crf450's? I need to buy new ones anyway so I figured iit might save me from having to modify the crf radiators.

Most of my parts are here now,just waiting on some free time to get on it.
any radiators can work with the right modifications, just saying
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

[/quote]

any radiators can work with the right modifications, just saying[/quote]

I understand that but what I'm saying is the 00-01 cr250 rads need next to nothing done to them when you convert the 250 to a 500.
My concerns were if the shrouds would still bolt up to them and such.
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

not sure it helps but on my 05 450 frame they didnt work the 250 shroud tabs are flat and the 450 is at a angle not sure if 02/04 they did but i think they do i used 05 crf 250 rads seemed to be the least amount of hacking and i had a set of 2000 cr 250 rads setting on my bench didnt work as good
no wing no prayer
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Thanks dude,I guess I'll just modify the original rads.

I got to work on the frame today and got the y and the mounts done,came out pretty good.I dont mind welding this time of year.

UknowDamright

Post by UknowDamright »

kevin_s wrote:Today I made an engine jig,will be a whole lot easyer working around it than a complete engine.

you should sell that jig to me when you're done with it or make one and I'll buy it from you
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

UknowDamright wrote:

you should sell that jig to me when you're done with it or make one and I'll buy it from you

I'll look and see if I have enough material to make another one.
UknowDamright

Post by UknowDamright »

kevin_s wrote:
UknowDamright wrote:

I'll look and see if I have enough material to make another one.
What kind of price are you thinking?
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

I have the correct tubing for the engine mounts if anyone needs it but I do not have time to get back into making jigs.
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

I got a little time today to make some progress.I finished the front mounts,no where near as nice looking as Solid bro's or Pauls billet mounts but they won"t break any time soon.The engine fits sweet,had to relieve the right lower frame rail to get the inner clutch cover to clear.

kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Plenty of clearance..

kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Looks like tank clearance isn't too bad.
One question I do have is this..where is the exta hight in the jug with the longer rod engine :?: does the exhaust port change :?:
Reason why i ask is because i might end up using my 90 engine in here but don't want to be without a bike to ride while i finish this one.it might take me a while with this economy.
IS it just 1/4 in higher at the head stay :?:

kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

looks like I'll have to move the rear mount on my new silencer :evil: