CR 500 ignition problem

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
kevin_s

CR 500 ignition problem

Post by kevin_s »

Hopefully you hoons can help me.I bought a 90 cr500 with broken right center and outer cases.I rebuilt that engine completely bearings,seals,new cases,piston ect...
I was saving this engine for another project but my 98 500 decided to crack a piston so I bolted the 90 engine in the 98.

When I went to kick it for the first time and it kicked back and damn near broke my foot,my foot was purple for a week.Next kick it did the same thing.
So I guess I figured out why the cases were broken when I got it.

So,I swapped out the 90 stator and flywheel for the ignition off the 98 and it fired up first kick and is running very well.

Anyway's,my question is,What could be wrong with the 90 ignition system?

CR500PHIL

Re: CR 500 ignition problem

Post by CR500PHIL »

kevin_s wrote:Hopefully you hoons can help me.I bought a 90 cr500 with broken right center and outer cases.I rebuilt that engine completely bearings,seals,new cases,piston ect...
I was saving this engine for another project but my 98 500 decided to crack a piston so I bolted the 90 engine in the 98.

When I went to kick it for the first time and it kicked back and damn near broke my foot,my foot was purple for a week.Next kick it did the same thing.
So I guess I figured out why the cases were broken when I got it.

So,I swapped out the 90 stator and flywheel for the ignition off the 98 and it fired up first kick and is running very well.

Anyway's,my question is,What could be wrong with the 90 ignition system?

I am wondering if the timing was advanced too much - have seen this cause severe kickbacks.
Steelie Build Done
Gen 1 CR500 AF Complete - SOLD
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

bomb start it till you get it figured out, unless you want to break your cases or foot
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

2strokeforever wrote:bomb start it till you get it figured out, unless you want to break your cases or foot
It would just lock up when I tried that,but thanks for the idea.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

try 5th gear
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish