so i had a failure

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
gregrobo

so i had a failure

Post by gregrobo »

i built a 03 450 for my cousin all was good till he was chasing me down a whooped hill and buried it into a washout when we were cleaning it we found some cracks i preped them out to get riding for the weekend a few months back and now im nearly done fabbing a sheet y out of 4mm ali i forgot the photos of the bike before we cut it up but have some of the y
all the shs went in free there was no tension on any piece and the engine pretty much fell itto place.
my thoughts are 1 i over stretched the shs and 2 the engine mounts were the 450 bolt on units as per the owners wishes i would have milled my own
it also has cr style head stays and when it was disassembled all bolts were tight as a nuns
Last edited by gregrobo on June 18th, 2011, 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

before i get tore up for not over lapping the rear of the y piece I plan to make the front engine mount over lap both pieces
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

also we put a spacer between the head stay plates to stop any movement
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

The front overlap is a good detail - it helps in not localising the forces / stress across the tube / plate. I would have had the outer plates come down to near that overlap, with a curved / diagonal weld (or, perhaps better, no weld) back up to the non overlapped section.

A major and common problem I see in people builds is welding across the side of the tube - as in, like your 'barrel' front mounts. It promotes a crack / failure, just like in your pic. It's a Real stress raiser in a non heat treated joint. Or even a heat treated joint. - it's called welding across the neutral axis (and the worst type, on the inside of a bent tube), not with it, which is infinitely preferable.

Either a plate mount, welded along only the edges of the tube / sheet Y, or if you have the room, a right angle section, once again, welded only along the edges of the tube / sheet Y.But , with the outer edge shorter than the inner length, so as to avoid a 'straight across' stress raiser. Good, inner corner radiused right angle 6061 T6 is easily available here in OZ. All welds should have good stop / start ends - no cratering. You might also have the room for 2 mounts either side, to take a bolt in plate for the engine mounting. I did this with a couple of Gen 5s, with some very experienced / thinking riders, and both preferred the handling to the first, welded in, single mount on one of them. But each ended up using a different thickness 'bolt in' plates. For drongos who might say it would make no difference, see the changes made on many bikes each year, to different thickness and materials, plates. And the varied mount plates offered to factory riders.

Plate Ys are fun to do, give you a huge variety of build options, and, in my opinion, infinitely preferable to machined from solid Ys, let alone tube inserts.
87CR500Rider

Post by 87CR500Rider »

gregrobo wrote:Image
I was chastised for asking about doing the headstay that way. :roll:
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

the head stay is fine and is plenty strong enought :roll:
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
87CR500Rider

Post by 87CR500Rider »

gregrobo wrote:the head stay is fine and is plenty strong enought :roll:
I'm 100% with you and feel that's where it needs to be. I just find it funny I was chastised over it but nothing mentioned about yours. Go figure.
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

87CR500Rider wrote:
gregrobo wrote:the head stay is fine and is plenty strong enought :roll:
I'm 100% with you and feel that's where it needs to be. I just find it funny I was chastised over it but nothing mentioned about yours. Go figure.

Maybe he is some crazy cage fighter or something and nobody wants to get beat up. :chair:
Kevin
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

no dude i did get a few jabs awhile back in another thread so i did cop some.
love not a fighter dude
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

I know i just really wanted to use that emoticon
Kevin
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Looks good but I am not crazy about your bolt selection though, at least from what I see on the headstay- if that is threads all the way through on you are asking for trouble.

Using bolts with a shoulder wide enough to fill the hole (not sure the technical term) is critical to avoid cracking.

What bolts did you use on the lower mounts?
03 CRF450/85 500
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

nmdesertrider wrote:Looks good but I am not crazy about your bolt selection though, at least from what I see on the headstay- if that is threads all the way through on you are asking for trouble.

Using bolts with a shoulder wide enough to fill the hole (not sure the technical term) is critical to avoid cracking.

What bolts did you use on the lower mounts?
thats the trouble with doing a conversion for someone else you only get half the parts the bolts were only used for mock up because he forgot to bring the originals
Last edited by gregrobo on August 24th, 2011, 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Good to know- i also goop my bolts with enough 'right stuff' that you have to hammer them out when you disassemble the bike.
I think it makes a difference.
03 CRF450/85 500