Is this normal?????

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
riverman

Is this normal?????

Post by riverman »

Took clutch cover off to replace water pump seals. Was checking out the clutch if you grap the basket you can wiggle it a good bit. So i figured the center nut was loose. No it's tight and the retainer is intact. Removed the nut and center hub. When you move the basket you can see the bushing and bearing moving. It is just a little but at the outer edge of the basket it's about .062 to.100 of an inch. The gear is tight to the basket.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Dampers are junk
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

if theres a significant reduction in noise idling in neutral when you pull in the clutch then the bearing and bushing are toast
sounds like a whirr
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

even with new bushing and bearing they still wobble alittle. part of the design i guess. never checked with a dial indicator so i couldnt say for sure how much though. .060 at the outer fingers sounds in the ballpark but like i say i never checked so i could be wrong.
coley13

Post by coley13 »

100hp honda wrote:even with new bushing and bearing they still wobble alittle. part of the design i guess. never checked with a dial indicator so i couldnt say for sure how much though. .060 at the outer fingers sounds in the ballpark but like i say i never checked so i could be wrong.
that would be just backlash in the clutch/kicker/crank gear. Actually i'd be curious if there is a designated tolerance. I'll check the manual, however i dont like my chances
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

if i read the post correct he is talking about the basket wobble on the main shaft. years ago i had the same deal. thought there was a problem. bought new bushing and bearing. nothing changed. has to be part of the design. pulled apart many other motors and they all do it to some degree. your thinking of rotating the basket back/forth clockwise/counterclockwise which is different than what the OP is talking about, i think anyways. if you checked a new set of tranny gears they probly wobble slightly on the shafts as well. i know the ktm does. honda aint no different. if everything was tight as a nats ass im sure there would be alot of binding.
coley13

Post by coley13 »

ooops, i was thinking back and forth rotational
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I had that problem on an old YZ recently.
I figured the bearings were toasted so I ordered all new bearings since I was gonna have to split the cases.
Waited till the bearings came in to split the cases and found the trans shaft broke!
Lesson learned.
riverman

Post by riverman »

100hp your right on what I'm talking about. The basket has some normal wear for a 98 but the cushions or dampers are good. The basket is tight to the gear. So I'll run it. The previous owner did have new clutch plates put in it. That's about the only thing that was true about the bike.
mr500

Post by mr500 »

My '01 clutch basket had a fair amount of up/down play i replaced the bush and it took most of the play out.
Keep it real, Keep it steel.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

if theres a significant reduction in noise idling in neutral when you pull in the clutch then the bearing and bushing are toast
sounds like a whirr
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
riverman

Post by riverman »

The bikes apart right now. When I get the dam water pump impellar off I'll put it back togather and check for the whirrrr noise.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Got it apart soak with Kroil a couple of days and put in the vice with soft jaws . But it still took an impact to break it loose.