MY FIRST 500 REBUILD AND OFF TO BAD START

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
omaotek

MY FIRST 500 REBUILD AND OFF TO BAD START

Post by omaotek »

I purchased a totaly thrashed 500 and took the engine out to use for an A/F conversion. Now that the frame work is done I can start on the engine rebuild.

Durring teardown the first thing I noticed was I could grab the clutch basket and shake the whole thing up and down. Also could do the same to the flywheel.

I continued to strip the cases and inspect everything to decide what I need to order. I ended up ordering every bearing, seal and gasket OEM.

Sent the cylinder, crank, and head to Millar for a bore, new rod, squish mod and decompression valve install.

There are a couple bearings that look like they may have been spinning in the case but with the bearing installed I cant feel any slop. I will just install with some green loctite and hope for the best. Usualy bearings will start spinning in there bore when they become worn out and start to create an imbalace and vibrate.

So now for the ugly shit that I found! the bore for the shifter shaft in both cases are cracked and the bore is slightly elongated. The shifter shaft had a slight bend in it that I was able to straighten out nicely. Has anyone run ito this problem and continue to use the cases without major issues?? Should I leave it as is? try to fix it? scrap the cases? Finding cr500 parts in Hawaii is practically impossible. I did run it thru all the gears prior to dissasembly and it shifted fine.

4Z

Post by 4Z »

Time for some new cases IMHO......
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

4Z wrote:Time for some new cases IMHO......
X2
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

i can check my inventory to see what sets i have left.
those cases would work for a kart guy tho.
omaotek

Post by omaotek »

Shit! I know in my mind the right thing to do is find new cases but, I don't have all the money in the world to spend on this build and its quickly becoming expensive. From what I see the worst senario is the crack can spread, and the best senario would be that the shifter seal may not last as long.

Has anyone encountered this and reused the cases with any luck??
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

I bought some used 89 cases like that off eBay but only the clutch side was the worst , set it up in the bridge port bored it out , made a new sleeve for it pressed it in and 2 tack welds just in case!! Worked good!!!

So they can be fixed but at what cost to you??
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
omaotek

Post by omaotek »

Got all my parts and assembled the engine. Everything went together smothly, used the tusk crank installation tool and it worked good. Had one problem with a stud on the cylinder pulling out when I tried to tourqe the nut. removed the stud and found that the threads in the cylinder were stripped out, the stud was located on the same side that the head gasket was blown and the water jacket on the head corroded. Installed a helicoil and got her all closed up.
omaotek

Post by omaotek »

I still need to get a pipe and silencer.. Im planing on getting a Gnarly mainly because its alitle thicker and it will last longer but not to sure which silencer to get.... I have some different 250 silencers from my 250 01 has anyone tried using a 250 silencer on a 500? will it work? would the connection between the pipe and silencer work? I cant check cause I dont have a 500pipe to look at.