Twin chambers on a steely...is it worth it?

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
Rhino89523

Twin chambers on a steely...is it worth it?

Post by Rhino89523 »

I got handed a set of twin chambers that are set up for a fat boy like myself. I did a little homework and it looks like they basically fit if you have the caliper bracket and everything else is basically bolt on...correct me if I am wrong please.

Are they that much better than open chamber 97 up cr500 forks? I am basically just an average weekend warrior and I am the worst suspension tuner in history, will a guy like myself even be able to tell the difference? I know how to service my open bath forks and the twins seem more complicated, how hard is it to deal with the gravy a fat boy like myself creates quick?

What would you do?

Will these make me fast like Scott Summers? :lol:
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Not speaking to the new forks but...

Will a weekend warrior like yourself notice the difference? If set up right, Hell yeah.

Example: My steely 500 suspension has been worked. It is set up to do low speed steep roots, fallen logs, stutter steps etc. with my 220 lb self. Basically to take large slow suspension movements in stride rather than the huge hard hits like landing from a jump. My 16 year old son just took over the bike. He's all of 140 lbs. He's in love with the 500's suspension and doesn't want me to "fix" it for him. He's running into stuff just cringing like it's going to hurt like it does on ALL his previous bikes, and just gets this huge grin when it just sucks them up... and so he picks up the pace and I wait for him less. I give him this summer to be setting a pace I can't keep. Unless I fall off my wallet and "fix" the YZ. :twisted:

I'd bolt em up and see what happens. Be careful though, badly mismatched front and rear suspension is a recipe for disaster.

Will they _make_ you fast like Scott Summers? No.

Will they let you relax and be more confident? Definitely. That generally translates to faster.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Somebody point me to a good thread about the differences in the front over the years or tell me here.
I've got a 92 rider and a 97 roller, which is better?
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Can give you my experience based on MX only. I took the entire front end off my 04 450, front wheel and all, and stuck it on my 99 steely. They fit right in the triples, if I recall correctly the top clamp needed to to spread a couple thou more to accept the Showas. The forks were already set up for me, at 260 lbs in gear. I ride only sand and it's usually nasty whooped out rough, I always show up late in the day for just that reason. As I recall, I was tentative for about one lap, unsure of what to expect. And then, I turned that fucken throttle wide open, because those forks gave me so much confidence to push so much harder. So much so the 450 stayed in the garage the rest of the season with a fresh motor. This was in May. Absolutely blown away at how much better the 500 was in that configuration. The track only has one 80ft table I won't do, but all the rest of the jumps were already in my grasp, but I was so close to trying it. I was passing guys I usually couldn't stay with on that bike, although I'm sure the front brake had something to do with it. Just better brakes and aftermarket pads on the Showas. Moral of the story: those forks will make life way better for you, weekend warrior or otherwise. Because that's all I am.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Oh and one more point. Working on the Showas are marginally more difficult, but more than worth it. Small tradeoff for huge gain. Unless I blow a seal, I only service my forks in the spring and ride all year on them. I don't know of a manual to tell you what to do, but if someone showed you once, they are easy to work on.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I should have added that I also have an 01 CR250.
It's confidence on 2 wheels.