Compression release.

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Danger4u2

Compression release.

Post by Danger4u2 »

I have a machinist on my web site that does the chain saw compression release (CP) installations on 2 stroke heads. I let people advertise for free if it helps to spark the public's interest, helps promote or just flat out helps keep our 500 2 stokes running. I wanted one of his CP's for my 97 CR500. I know, I know there are some people that say if your can't start it you should not ride it. It's not that I CAN'T start it, I have "TROUBLE" starting my kickstart bikes. I crashed a bike in late 04 and ruptured my patella tendon and suffered nerve damage in my right leg. It's not so much the "kick" it's getting my foot onto the kicker. I need to use my right hand, grasping just below the knee to get my foot on top of the kicker. The CP is a small button you push in on the left side of the head. Some times it takes me a few kicks to get it started. The CP shuts even if the bike does not start. Requiring pushing the button again. I need my right hand to help my leg and left hand to push the button, it's not a big problem on flat ground. But it is a problem after riding for a few hours, getting a little tired and stalling the bike on an off camber hill or maybe trying to get started in a hurry to get out of the way. So I asked Larry if he could make me a release operated by a 4 stroke hot start lever. With a remote release I could keep one hand on the bars at all times when starting. So I bought an ASV C/5 Series (CLMO5-SB) clutch perch with a hot start lever, the starter cable (Kawasaki part # 54017-0009) a new head (Honda part # 12200-ML3-760) because he said it would take some time to design my request. Sent him all the stuff and waited. He tried 3 different designs and he didn't like the way they worked. He asked if I wanted him to make the proven CP and send the head back. I told him that would work. That was 3 months ago.
Yesterday Larry called and told me to check the mail, he had sent the head a few days ago. To my surprise he came up with a design that looks like it will work. It will be a month or so before I can install the new head but I will let you guys know how it works. As it stands now he said it is not cost effective to make. It's a one off design. Within reason I don't care what it costs. I want one on my other bikes.

KX & CR 500 Rider