FMF Turbinecore

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Widow Maker

FMF Turbinecore

Post by Widow Maker »

Looking to quiet down my '90 so as not to draw any unwanted attention while in the woods. The older Pro Circuit silencer I have on the bike now, while wicked sounding, is pretty frickin loud. How is the FMF Turbinecore?
'86 Honda CR500R - restored
'90 Honda CR500R - plated woods weapon
'97 Honda CR500R - plated supermoto
'02 Suzuki Bandit 1200N
'06 Yamaha YZ85
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

We have one bike with a turbine core and one with a PC. The turbine core is much quieter but also a SA.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

could be wrong but im not sure the turbine core is supposed to be quiter. just has a built in s/a. i have turbinecore and it damn sure aint any quiter than normal powercore2. might look into the Q model or whatever the hell its called
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

took this one apart and basically was nothing more than powercore with fan deal on the end.
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

What is the opinion on the spark arrestor model vs. performance?
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Seat of the pants Dyno which is ultra reliable says the SA version robs 15%. For trail riding I don't care, the bike has about double the HP I really need. In the dunes I leave the SA on for passing through the gates, and then usually pull it off, put on a silencer, and blast anytime I see a vehicle with a light bar or door decal. How do you catch a dune on fire anyway? Aside from gasoline, and flaming tire rolling of course.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rhino89523 wrote: Aside from gasoline, and flaming tire rolling of course.

Amoninum Nitrate.

( No, I'm not kidding....)
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I've seen some magnesium get thrown into a fire but nothing like that...Holy Crap!!!! Bad ass!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

It was like the world was coming to an end.....
sugarshane

Post by sugarshane »

100hp honda wrote:could be wrong but im not sure the turbine core is supposed to be quiter. just has a built in s/a. i have turbinecore and it damn sure aint any quiter than normal powercore2. might look into the Q model or whatever the hell its called
I Put the FMF Q on my YZ250 because I live in AZ and we need a S/A everywhere here and they are starting to be dicks about everything (Even making too much dust in the desert!) so I wanted to do everything I could to keep the Rangers off my ass. Anyways It was definitely a lot more quiet than the stocker but it did rob some power. Both of my 500's have the Turbine Core 2 and they are definitely not quiet.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

AlisoBob wrote:
Rhino89523 wrote: Aside from gasoline, and flaming tire rolling of course.
Amoninum Nitrate.

( No, I'm not kidding....)
Nice to see my pic getting some milage. :wink:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

the Q model is supposed to be no more than 96db, so im sure its definatly quiter than most mufflers. regular turbine core however has no noise supression at all that im aware of, fmf website even confirms that. like i said before, i had regular turbine core on my ktm and i took it apart to see what made it tick and was nothing more than a powercore with a fan spark arrestor on the end. if i wasnt concearned with noise and just needed a spark arrestor, i would just put one of those cheap screen things on the end of a powercore. if i needed something quit with s/a the Q would be the only way to go.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Seat of the pants Dyno which is ultra reliable says the SA version robs 15%
anyone have a dyno sheet (roosty?) cause if thats true i got a spark arrestor for sale
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I have one, never run it
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

2strokeforever wrote:
Seat of the pants Dyno which is ultra reliable says the SA version robs 15%
anyone have a dyno sheet (roosty?) cause if thats true i got a spark arrestor for sale

You can't be serious.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

My " Seat Dyno" only tells me when its time to pull over.... and drop a duce.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

turbinecore is biggest waste of money if you ask me. throw a sparky on your powercore or stock muffler. take it on/off when ever you want :wink: . $40 to your door from ebay
JR650

Post by JR650 »

Only reason i run a turbinecore is they dont clog, unlike every screen piece of shit out there, i dont have to remember to clean it. and im pretty sure i dont lose any power to it but as stated above, its pretty loud.
00 XR650R street legal SM
02 250/500
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I am not serious about my seat of the pants dyno being accurate, but my bike feels like it rips noticeably harder without the turbine in there, enough that I remove it after sand mountain check in, could totally be in my head but I too would love to see a dyno sheet, could save me removing 2 bolts and reset the seat dyno calibration.

The sparky's feel like they take some too....same dyno at work here. The reason I like the turbine is it won't break or rip screen over time, I got shut down just as I was leaving for the day at Foresthill for a small hole in the screen....2 hour drive to get the finger from ranger rick sucked. I blaster to Auburn...about 30 plus minutes away....Sunday so all bike shops closed, went to the hardware store, bought some similar looking screen, ghetto-ed it into place, drove back, ranger Rick of course waiting....I seem to really have a way with authorities, they love me :roll: He clears me...nice guy, I'm the ass for the record. Still had time to squeeze in a quick lap on trail 6 but missed my usual added areas...turbine core from that point on. I'm on a Answer sneaker now.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rhino89523 wrote:The reason I like the turbine is it won't break or rip screen over time....
Yuppers
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

never could get past the gay looking spout that points down. maybe the new ones dont have it ? i sawed it off but still didnt like it
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I think the down spout is the pro circuit ones, the turbine is smooth, nothing to cut off or you would ruin it.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The old T/C had the tailpipe.... I loved them.

The new ones are Euro-Trash lookin....

Widow Maker

Post by Widow Maker »

I ended up putting a new PC silencer on the bike. If the need arises, I'll stick a sparky in the thing to be legal.
'86 Honda CR500R - restored
'90 Honda CR500R - plated woods weapon
'97 Honda CR500R - plated supermoto
'02 Suzuki Bandit 1200N
'06 Yamaha YZ85