Silly question ?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
coley13

Silly question ?

Post by coley13 »

i've decided to build a 500 engine from purchasing parts. My question is regarding crankcase's particularly the left side. To behonest i didnt even think about it...

Here's what Service Honda says

Q. Do you sell frames or L. side engine crankcases?
A. Yes, but if the model is 400cc or larger we need a Drivers License, Frame number, and Engine Number. we then order from Honda, this can take from a week or longer for the part to come in Honda does not give us times or dates for these parts.

I guess my silly question being, what numbers would i give them, The VIN from AF doner bike? what engine number would i give them "it's a 125 not a 500" ?

I guess i could give them details from MY steel framed 500 but then the cases would be shipped with the same engine number i assume????

That may then become a hassel with the insurance company if i have two bikes with the same engine numbers....

OR do they just stamp a totally new number anyway ?

sorry for being stupid question but i had to ask?
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

I ordered a left case from SH a year ago after using info from someone else's bike. The left case came without any engine number at all. They use this info to check against stolen parts apparently.
coley13

Post by coley13 »

ok, thats easy then. Thankyou

i'll just use my 01 bike details then .......

i guess my next challenge would be insurance if the cases has NO number...
find out if someone will stamp a number for identiciation purposes
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

If you have an issue with getting the case from SH, it seems like Canadian dealers don't require the vin & engine number, however they would still come without a number tag.
2T500

Post by 2T500 »

I ran into this same issue, ordered a set of cases from SH and they said they could only deliver the RH case or needed numbers for a LH case, not just any LH case it had to be a LH case sold in America and proof of ownership .. another supplier in the US simply said they were not made anymore, so I the RH case along with other parts and ordered the LH one locally here in NZ and paid a lot more for it but no questions and yes it turned up without numbers.

Try pricing it in Canada - if I had known that they don't so the same thing as the US it might have been a good idea to get a bunch of parts at the same time.
CR500 Enduro
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

2T500 wrote:Try pricing it in Canada - if I had known that they don't so the same thing as the US it might have been a good idea to get a bunch of parts at the same time.
Roostius priced me one out of Canada about a year ago and it was about $100 higher than SH.