Remember my streetbike i did last winter?

Use some common sense ....
NightBiker07

Remember my streetbike i did last winter?

Post by NightBiker07 »

Remember when i Painted up my streetbike last winter? well, this winter it got refinement. Mainly in chrome plating over the polished aluminum, and this little project for my gauges.

As the bike sat last spring. I transplanted a Harley WideGlide seat onto this thing (100% more comfortable) and have changed a few other things (and messed up some paint, etc). Once its back together, I'll get a new pic up.

Some of you are familiar with my gauges I did last winter. While they came out nice, they were useless in the dark as the decals were not transparent and didnt let light shine through. So, back to the drawing board. What do you get when you combine EL Neon String and gauges? something surely unique! So began the process.

I glued the neon wire into the metal ring as shown to hide it from view. the light will shine down onto the gauges.
To cut down on power consumption and extend the life of the components (the string shouldnt ever go bad, but the transformers probably will), I am going to hook the transformers up to a relay, and the relay will be actuated my a light-sensitive device so they only turn on in the dark and when the bike is on. I will also wire in a override switch to I can turn the stuff on for demo purposes. If this turns out well, i will probably add other green accent lighting on the bike in other places.

Here is what I started with

And here is the progress thus far. The tape is temporary while the glue dries, then the tape will be removed and that section will be Epoxied. (the rest is super-glued)

Here is a section of the string

And here it is lit up. because of the location, the light should shine down onto the plates, illuminating them with a neon green glow.

What do ya think?
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
plynn41

Post by plynn41 »

I think you're very clever and imaginative. But I can't say I share your taste. You're definitely going to get some neck twisting at stoplights!
'88 PW50 - Connor
'03 YZ85 - Zach
'88 CR500R
'05 CRF250R (to get a heart transplant soon)
'10 Hot Rod Go Kart
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

sweet but i would of leaned towards budweiser :lol:
teamdns

Post by teamdns »

:cool: :cool:

Post by Rue »

teamdns wrote::cool: :cool:
X2
AFC Build link
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... 220#106220

"Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love" (David McCullough)
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

100hp honda wrote:sweet but i would of leaned towards budweiser :lol:
I could probably build one hell of a budweiser bike.....but i imagine the cops would frown upon that

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Ok, I have everything mounted nicely under the right side cover where the tool stuff would have been at one time.

The transformers are for the Neon wire in the gauges. they fit behind that tab perfectly. I had to extend the wires going from the transformers to the E.L. Wire in the gauges.

The night switch is a light/dark switch. I will mount the light sensor up by the instrument cluster, and it will turn the gauge lighting on and off automatically when it gets dark. I'm so lazy i over-complicate things.

The control relay controls the incoming 12V power. When the bike's key is off, no power is transmitted to the photovoltaic switch.

This is all fused coming off the battery using a 15A blade-fuse housing and fuse, in case a wire rubs through, the bike wont catch fire.

the "future site of turn signal relay" is a simple one. Instead of the turn signal flasher operating the turn signals, it will operate the coil of a relay. I will hook the turn signals up to the Normally Closed relay contacts so the turn signals are always ON.
What this will do is instead of the turn signals being OFF-ON-OFF, they will be ON-OFF-ON. basically its just for safety, more light coming from the bike is better for visibility, but the turn signals will still operate properly. I plan to go to a LED lamp for the turn signals to cut down on the power consumption.
And I already have a LED flasher installed on the bike, so the changed load will have no effect on the flashing.

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

I hope Monster Energy pays you or gives you a lifetime supply of drink.
I think it looks COOL. I have allways loved Flo Green and black combo. But I would never sport the whole Monster stuff.

Cool bike and nice work though......man