Clutch basket play/wobble

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Gmbond

Clutch basket play/wobble

Post by Gmbond »

In the process of putting together the clutch with a new Hinson basket I torqued the nut up properly (59ft/lb) and found that the basket has some play and wobble on the shaft. I'm wondering how much is acceptable or normal. The gear I pressed out of the old basket and installed into the new basket shows some "polished" areas where the needle bearings roll but no scoring or measurable wear. Should I just go ahead and replace the needle bearing and inner collar? The inner collar also is shown no real wear just a polished look on the bearing surface.

The "thrust" washer (thick washer between basket and inner hub) has some wear marks on the outside of the basket side face. I'm thinking this was caused by the basket wobbling a little.

Long story short. I know some movement is normal but how much is ok?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

replaced those necesarry parts on mine and still wobbles alittle. its supposed to be like that i guess. cant really say how much is normal because i didnt measure but its a fair amount. every bike i ever took apart is like that
mr500

Post by mr500 »

I too had a lot of play in the basket and the bush measured up in spec so i replaced the bearing and this alone took out 80% of the play.I replaced the kick starter idler gear bush at the same time and this removed nearly all the play from it,the bonus is they are both cheap.
Keep it real, Keep it steel.