rebuild, but not a honda

Recount your rebuilds here!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

got .126 but need .143 gonna try 2 .030 gaskets first and see where that puts everything
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

stated a few things wrong. spacer is .122. when piston gets here i can roll it through the stroke and let you know at that point 100% what is going on.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

roostious whats thinnest you can accurately machine a alloy plate ? other dude said it was to thin and his eqiupment was having trouble holding it down. :confused:. he sent me a piece of commerially made flat alloy.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

it can be done with an endmill, not a shellmill, best on a rotary table, you have to supprt the plate and bolt down thru the center of it, as far as that goes, sometimes you can wedge it in the lathe with the tailstock and cut it thinner.
flatout or some of the other gasket guys will roll a copper base gasket down for you, may even make you the tickness on a sheet cheap and you can cut it out
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

piston didnt show up but im expecting it first thing tomorow :x . getting other parts rounded up in the meantime. meant to post this long time ago but never got to it. shows how ktm back cuts the dogs. camera aint the greatest so the detail might be hard to see but you get the point. some dudes probly already know what back cutting is but if you dont know then in a nutshell the dog is cut back toward center so when the opposing dog engages, it locks tighter the more torque thats applied. almost impossible to ever pop out of gear once engaged, unless you apply the clutch and release the torque.

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

my friend i get ktm parts from hooked me up bigtime on this deal

semi keystone rings

had to look twice at the clearance posted on the box. thought it was a misprint at first. 89mm that wiseco made for the katooms said to run a full .001 more clearance.

have to mod the pin boss slightly for honda bearing then i can run piston through the stroke and see what i got to do with the spacer. appears there will plenty of length on the studs. on second thought if i have to go up much more the studs will be damn close to needing longer ones.

caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

100hp honda wrote:piston didnt show up but im expecting it first thing tomorow :x . getting other parts rounded up in the meantime. meant to post this long time ago but never got to it. shows how ktm back cuts the dogs. camera aint the greatest so the detail might be hard to see but you get the point. some dudes probly already know what back cutting is but if you dont know then in a nutshell the dog is cut back toward center so when the opposing dog engages, it locks tighter the more torque thats applied. almost impossible to ever pop out of gear once engaged, unless you apply the clutch and release the torque.

Yamaha is the same way....
-Jake

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i wont bore you guys with the specifics of piston and trench mods needed but thought couple things were worth mentioning. had a suprise when i started weighing things.

89mm honda boat anchor without pin. with pin 497g

92mm unmodded without pin

92mm after bearing mod without pin. with pin 479g

this piston/rod was frikin made for each other

close but no cigar

got light under the skirt. cylinder has to go up more like i was speculating.

aac500

Post by aac500 »

New to the site would like to post some old cr 500 parts for sale, how do i go about doing that?
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

aac500 wrote:New to the site would like to post some old cr 500 parts for sale, how do i go about doing that?
Go here and post away
http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/viewforum.php?f=4
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

more than another gasket will do?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Noob's gotta give Jay the parts free as "admission dues".

That's how it works around here.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:more than another gasket will do?
not sure. have to try .030 gaskets and see what happens. hole under the skirt is atleast .020+. probly do a new spacer if .030 gaskets dont work. should have a game plan in the next few days.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

whats the stroke?
are you remotely close to where you want to be with the port timing?
piston proud of the bore yet?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

did you get those cases trenched already?
how much gasket surface is left?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

working on the cases now. theres plenty of gasket surface left. ktm cases are real thick. only have to trench .025 deep and about .040 wide.

stroke is 82mm but cylinder has to go up more because skirt gap and port timings are too low for what i want. alot of welding on exhaust floor is needed if you want the piston proud. want to get exhaust back to about 188ish then do porting from there.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

what degree are you opening the exh?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

that trenching shouldnt be too bad. lastnight i did 2 cr500 cases in 12 minutes, they had kicked a rod, welded a window shut and basically did the same thing as trench, but just went far enough to clean them up. center off the main, dial in the boring head and press start :lol:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

tried with .030 gaskets. 184 exh 122 trans and .040 on the head. still seems about .015 low from before i swapped rods. small gap still under the skirt. think this wiseco might be few thousands shorter than the mahle
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

finally had plating taken off and ports welded. got a few pointers from rsss396 and a couple other dudes :cool: . thnx for the help. this handpiece will work slick as snot for grinding the trans and sub exh holes