Checked my compression

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
robfromga

Checked my compression

Post by robfromga »

Faack! 100-105psi :cry:

Bike runs fine :P

Time for a topend? Unknown hours on the motor
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Throttle wide open while kicking?
Makes a big difference.
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

Tharrell wrote:Throttle wide open while kicking?
Makes a big difference.
Yep...wide open, thumb on the kill switch. Kicked the piss out of it maybe 10 times. I dont want to believe it, but I dont wanna go pull all that crap off again
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

if its a trail bike Id run it, it can stay right there for years
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
britincali

Post by britincali »

+1 My AF has shit compression and runs awsome, just means its easier to kick :D
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

Really? Some Im not facked? :D Im not getting at all full power am I? Not that I can handle full power...ya know what I be saying. I just have this thing about things running right.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Look down its throat ( reed block out) and up its ass ( pipe flange) and if nothing is scored or cracked, follow Jays advice.
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

just ride it.

anything below 100 start looking at a rebuild. jay lewis is right they'll run for a long time right around 100psi.

also, what is your elevation? temperature? these things will affect the reading as well.
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

south central hoon wrote:just ride it.

anything below 100 start looking at a rebuild. jay lewis is right they'll run for a long time right around 100psi.

also, what is your elevation? temperature? these things will affect the reading as well.
Im at about 300-400' it was very humid,id guess atleast 70%-80% temp was no more than 40f maybe even 35

Bob, I posted some pics in another thread, the intake is clean. I put a pipe on it a few weeks back, thought the exhaust was clean too. I need to reaseal the flange ill check it, but again I thought it was clean.

Im just kinda bummed, I want all my bikes to be at a certain level of repair and didn't want to break this one open yet.
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

intake

see that scratch at 11 oclock?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Looks fine to me, check it in another 50 gallons of gas.

Run some 927' @ 32:1

That will help seal things up....
south central hoon

just ride it!
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

south central hoon wrote:just ride it!
x2
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

Bob, Ive been running Honda HP2 at 40:1 Ive got a couple cr125's and a 250 and they all get the same mix.... I cant tell if your pulling my leg about "tighting things up"? :itsok:

What I dont wanna do is screw the bottom end, as in crack the piston, piston bits into the case.... :sheepviolate:
south central hoon

JUST RIDE IT!

927 @ 32:1 PERIOD.
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

south central hoon wrote:JUST RIDE IT!

927 @ 32:1 PERIOD.

OK!

Kuma

Post by Kuma »

How do the scallips effect a compression check? don't they act like a compression release at slow kick start speeds and then don't play as much a role in the higher rpms?
if two equal motors, in port timing and calculated compression, what would the measured difference be between a scalliped motor and one without?
What are the advantages of running without scalliped bore?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Kuma wrote:What are the advantages of running without scalliped bore?
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

All this still has me thinking of a top end. Im gunna pull off the pipe and cycle it through to check the bore, is there anything stopping me from just ordering a flex hone? It looks pretty simple?

Ehhh? :lol:
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Mine was 2 over and had a crack completely through one side of the liner on the intake side- if I didn't take the head off and check it I could have blown the motor- piston looked fine.
I think 'it depends'
03 CRF450/85 500
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

I pulled the pipe of tonight and checked out the cylinder, as best as possible through the exhaust. Looks good, no grooves on the exhaust side of the piston or no groves in the bore.

I did notices some lines running up and down in the cylinder, but the were smooth when I got my finger in there.... so am I cool? Can I flex hone it?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i been lost from the beggining. your concearned with compression so you want to run a ball hone through it ? what good will that do if your planing to re-use the old piston :?. if your that concearned just take the jug off and measure what you got. put it back together if everything specs ok. if not then put pc9 on there, its only $60. or get bore job and all new piston. 100psi aint ideal but the bike will still run fine and if the piston aint slopping then who gives a shit. like i said im pretty lost what your trying to do
mr500

Post by mr500 »

The only thing you can't check by looking in the exhaust port is if the bridge is pinching/scoring the piston.Every 500 that I'v pulled the cylinder off that has been worked on by someone else, has not had the bridge relieved.
Lots of bike shops don't even know that 500 cylinders need this mod.
Pull off the cylinder and measure everything so you know where your at.
Keep it real, Keep it steel.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Pull the topend.
Check your ring end gap.
It may be that simple.
They're supposed to wear.
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

100hp honda wrote:i been lost from the beggining. your concearned with compression so you want to run a ball hone through it ? what good will that do if your planing to re-use the old piston :?. if your that concearned just take the jug off and measure what you got. put it back together if everything specs ok. if not then put pc9 on there, its only $60. or get bore job and all new piston. 100psi aint ideal but the bike will still run fine and if the piston aint slopping then who gives a shit. like i said im pretty lost what your trying to do

I never said a thing about reusing anything. Im just trying to redo the topend with out sending the jug out and missing a weekend of riding. I don't trust any of the local shops. So if the bore was clean, ie not scoredy plan was to pull the head on sunday, order a new piston rings gaskets etc, have that stuff Wednesday, hone it and pop it all back together.

Im slightly concerned with the 100 psi, id rather rebuild it and know what's what. The bike has a unknown history. I've rebuilt several topends but always sent away the jug, for nearly the cost of shipping I can get a 50 flex hone. My question was if that's kosher, not if I can reuse the stuff, im cheap ....but im not britt :roll: