I quit studying and got started

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

is your sprocket on right looks like it needs to be turned over the right way to line up?
no wing no prayer
mxdogger

Post by mxdogger »

riverman i mounted a fatty on my crf250 conversion without problems, is your pipe tweaked ? i made a new stinger mount thats it.
on the sprocket side collar i made mine 52mm and it lined up perfect.
heres a pic of my pipe to cylinder intake clearance
riverman

Post by riverman »

I'll check it out that is the how it came on the donor bike.
Thanks
riverman

Post by riverman »

Wow that is night and day differance. I can barely get the pipe on.
It could be I bought it used . But it looks brand new just one small dent on the left side that sticks out past the stator cover.

Thanks
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

the bigger step goes on the out side it will line up TNA when you flip it.
they should mark it out side but they dont?
no wing no prayer
mxdogger

Post by mxdogger »

a hit on that side of the pipe could tighten up the way it wraps around.
be sure to figure out your silencer mounting before making that rear stinger mount, do that one last after you have the whole exhaust where you want it. it should all bolt up without any pulling or tension on it that could cause it to crack later. :cool:
riverman

Post by riverman »

jarnott71 I flipped it around and guess what it lines up perfect.

Thanks
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:cool: :cool:

Doosh-in-Cali gave me a "mock-up motor" with the countershaft sprocket on backwards too.....

:britincali:
riverman

More pipe fitting

Post by riverman »

I put both pipes on tonight. The Gnarly well abused fits easly. The Fatty is tight but will go on with some work. The 2 have many differences but the main thing I think is the rear mounting point. I think the fatty mounting point will have to be moved this will give it plenty of room the pic does not show it but You can gain a half inch by moving the mounting point. first pic is the fatty second is the gnarly. she loves the smell of 927.
[/img]Image
[/img]Image
Image[/img]
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

she smells the baked beans in the 927! :lol: :lol:
riverman

Head stay

Post by riverman »

I was just going to cut the orginal one and make it fit. But after mxdogger sent me a pic of his billet stay, he has made and another member posted one he made. I changed my mind.
[/img]Image
[/img]ImageImage
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Nice work Hoon....
riverman

Post by riverman »

Finally got some time off of work and got to work in the garage today. Raidiator Exhuast & started the air box what a pain in the ass. Used a 99 cr250 boot fits great but trying to make the plate to fit the crf box and using the 99 filter and bracket just does not work good. Do you guys change the left side radiator fitting on top or just stretch the hose over it when using the crf rads.
[/img]Image
Image[/img]
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

Nice work!
I'm right behind ya, start on my airbox mods, and rads tomorrow, and pipe fittment Tuesday when I can pick up my exhaust manifolds from the courier depot.

If your rebuilding your swingarm bearings, get the set for a late model CR125, the bushings are the same width as we need, everything else is the same. Mine should show up this week.
Mikie1

Post by Mikie1 »

You will need a bigger piece of aluminum plate for the airbox... I covered almost the entire front of the airbox with mine... the boot "sandwiches" the plate, and then pretty much the whole front of the airbox gets cut to make room for the metal filter base. It left only about 1/4" to seal the aluminum plate to the front of the airbox in 3 different places. I'm getting my aluminum sheet powder coated before I rivet it to the airbox.

I found a RotoZip with 1/4" spiral cutting blades and the router base attached works excellent for free-form cuts. A shaper would be ideal, but I just sit in a chair and put the RotoZip upside down (bit up) squeezed between my knees.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

:shock:
but I just sit in a chair and put the RotoZip upside down (bit up) squeezed between my knees.

That's a potential nasty accident waiting to happen...
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Mikie1

Post by Mikie1 »

Yeah, I know... I set the depth only enough for the bit to barely clear the aluminum sheet though, and I feed the sheet really slowly into the blade. Like I said, a shaper would be ideal. Actually a MILL would be ideal, but I don't have one of those...
riverman

Post by riverman »

I got a the bigger piece i was trying to make a template before I used the bigger one. Now if I could get some time away from work. This seven days a week is good for the bank account but is getting old.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Do to work and other distractions the bike has taken a while. The last post I was working on the air box. It is done the engine rebuilt new bearings seals fresh bore new vertex piston.Image[/img]
I had trouble forming the fuel tank but managed to make it work. After some agravation with the ignition the bike is running. I have a 2 coolant leaks both very small one is a radiator the other is the head gasket. Once i get it tunned right I will find a radiator to change out and replace the head gasket and figure out why it is leaking. Had to repalce the kicker also.Image[/img]
I'll take some pics of the complete bike this weekend.
Thanks
for all of the help along the way :D :clink:
riverman

Post by riverman »

Bike is done. Bling to come later.
[/img]Image
Image[/img]
riverman

Post by riverman »

Went riding today. It finally cooled off only about 80 today. The bike starts easy now and ran good all day(about 7hrs). After getting home noticed the trailer had a spot on it under the bike. Put it in the shop went back out later and sure enough the F###ing tank is leaking. Has anyone modified a stock tank without it leaking?
riverman

Post by riverman »

Bought a HF plastic welder ( Usally don't buy from HF but it was quick and Cheap) Cut some strips from the orginal tank that I screwed up and melted them into the area that was leaking. Put water in it for a day no leaks. Cleaned the tank put it on the bike added gas it has been holding for 3 days one short ride to put the heat to it. Only time will tell.
If you try this really thin strip work the best. I built up several layers.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Fucking tanks leaking again. This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Man, you're a decent fabricator.
Make an aluminum tank, then sell'em to the rest of us.