what tool to adjust rear spring

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
bigjay

what tool to adjust rear spring

Post by bigjay »

how the hell do you adjust the rear spring? i have about 1.5" of extra travel i can use and i dont know what tool to use or where to get it :roll:
Jay

I break stuff
britincali

Post by britincali »

+

Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

<----this guys stupid.

i thought about that but was sure it was way to easy and HAD to be more complicated than that :bash: :britbeer:
Jay

I break stuff
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

:lmao: :eatdrink:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
britincali

Post by britincali »

:doh: :lmao:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

I perfer the hammer and oversize punch method.

But first you have to get the correct spring rate for your weight with gear on. Then use the above to correctly set the Sag for the type of riding thats done. See the manual for Sag how to.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

bigjay wrote:
i thought about that but was sure it was way to easy and HAD to be more complicated than that :bash: :britbeer:
It is.....

Step #1

CONFIRM ALL YOUR SUSPENSION / SHOCK BEARINGS ARE GOOD, AND WELL GREASED!!

Then, place the bike on a stand, making sure that the rear suspension is fully extended, rear tire not touching anything but air. Measure with a tape measure vertically from the axle to a point on the frame or fender. Mark the point . (I use a felt tip pen).

Step #2

Take the machine off the stand, and stand/or sit in your NORMAL riding position. Either on the pegs or sitting towards the front of the seat.

This is where helpers come in to balance the bike and take measurements. (you need to be on the bike) Measure as you did before. The difference between these two measurements should be 1/3 of the bikes travel. A bike like a CR500 with 12 inches of travel should have a measurement of 4 inches. . If it is not, you will need to adjust the spring adjuster nut (this is called setting PRELOAD) Get off the bike, and place it back on the stand.

Step #3

Before adjusting preload, make sure the bike is on the stand securely, and swingarm is again fully extended. Adjust the preload ring (also called the adjuster) as need to achieve the recommended sag. Turing the nut clockwise will decrease sag, turning the nut counter clock wise will increase sag.

CHECK FREE SAG

Holding the motorcycle next to you, lift the rear to full extension. Let go and allow the bike to settle under its own weight. (no rider, off the stand.) Measure as you did before. The measurement should be between 3/4" to 1 1/4". If it is, tighten down the locking collar, and your done!

If Free sag is less than 3/4", chances are your spring is too soft. (you need a stiffer spring since there is too much preload holding the bike up.)

Sag really effects how the bike turns..... get it right!
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

And actually, one of these works much better than the ole' hammer and a screwdriver:

The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

AlisoBob wrote:
bigjay wrote:
It is.....

Step #1

CONFIRM ALL YOUR SUSPENSION / SHOCK BEARINGS ARE GOOD, AND WELL GREASED!!

Then, place the bike on a stand, making sure that the rear suspension is fully extended, rear tire not touching anything but air. Measure with a tape measure vertically from the axle to a point on the frame or fender. Mark the point . (I use a felt tip pen).

Step #2

Take the machine off the stand, and stand/or sit in your NORMAL riding position. Either on the pegs or sitting towards the front of the seat.

This is where helpers come in to balance the bike and take measurements. (you need to be on the bike) Measure as you did before. The difference between these two measurements should be 1/3 of the bikes travel. A bike like a CR500 with 12 inches of travel should have a measurement of 4 inches. . If it is not, you will need to adjust the spring adjuster nut (this is called setting PRELOAD) Get off the bike, and place it back on the stand.

Step #3

Before adjusting preload, make sure the bike is on the stand securely, and swingarm is again fully extended. Adjust the preload ring (also called the adjuster) as need to achieve the recommended sag. Turing the nut clockwise will decrease sag, turning the nut counter clock wise will increase sag.

CHECK FREE SAG

Holding the motorcycle next to you, lift the rear to full extension. Let go and allow the bike to settle under its own weight. (no rider, off the stand.) Measure as you did before. The measurement should be between 3/4" to 1 1/4". If it is, tighten down the locking collar, and your done!

If Free sag is less than 3/4", chances are your spring is too soft. (you need a stiffer spring since there is too much preload holding the bike up.)

Sag really effects how the bike turns..... get it right!
You skipped all the "Beer" steps Bob...
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

MojoScojo wrote:
You skipped all the "Beer" steps Bob...

:)
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

britincali wrote:Image

+

No wonder shits constantly falling off on the trail

Yant yousin a big nuff ammer!
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
robfromga

sorry to bump a old thread.

Post by robfromga »

Can you fit the spanner with the subframe/air box installed?

Anyone have any tips to adding some preload? I know about the hammer and screw driver.
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

Once the top ring is loose, you can usually spin the spring to the desired setting. One full rotation is about equal to 3/4 - 1mm.
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

Mad Dog wrote:Once the top ring is loose, you can usually spin the spring to the desired setting. One full rotation is about equal to 3/4 - 1mm.
Yeah. I tried that, couldn't get it to budge. I was wondering about a strap wrench around the spring, but it just slips between the windings.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

You can even tack weld the lower ring the the spring in 3 places, and spin it like M/D said.
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

Try some WD 40 or something on the threads.
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

Yeah...I said screw it and just pulled the subframe off. Got the sag right but the rebounds a touch on the fast side one click from full. It will get worse when the oil heats too :?

I may back the preload down to get the rebound in a better range. That might be the bandaid until I can send it off for a respring and revalve.

Mad dog, thanks for the tips!
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

robfromga wrote:
Mad Dog wrote:Once the top ring is loose, you can usually spin the spring to the desired setting. One full rotation is about equal to 3/4 - 1mm.
Yeah. I tried that, couldn't get it to budge. I was wondering about a strap wrench around the spring, but it just slips between the windings.
clean threads on the shock body do wonders.

Those spanner wrenchs are great when you have the subframe off, still can't figure out how to sit on the bike with the subframe off though........

I got a little tool from tucker rocky that will take a socket extension to turn it. It didn't work to well, a big straight screw driver with a little bend near the end about 2 or 3"s from the end works nice.

Noleen makes a nice punch for this too, kinda spendy though.