Anyone ever tear an ACL?

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
Gmbond

Anyone ever tear an ACL?

Post by Gmbond »

Start of september I tore my right acl as well as a menicus tear. Well last Friday I had reconstructive surgery on it and well one just wondering if anyone else has been thru this here and what your experience has been.

Thanks guys

Hoping it'll be healed for riding season especially for kicking over the bike
scooter5002

ACL

Post by scooter5002 »

I have had the good fortune to tear both of mine. The left one I tore before I was smart enough to buy CTI braces. I was riding a bicycle 2 weeks after surgery. Although that was part of the re-hab protocol, the doctor said I was perhaps pushing the timeline a little early for that. The same doctor who, six months later, said he had never seen a guy with a torn ACL able to pull his knee RIGHT up into his ass post operation. It was alittle tender initially for sure, but it was worth it. Tore my right years later IN a brace. Moral of the story? You can still tear your knee in a brace, the injury is just that much less severe. I've never had the right one repaired, nor will I. Right knee is fine. My left one however had to be fixed because the ACL was COMPLETELY severed and my knee kept folding backwards. Ouchie! The doctor said he'd never seen one that bad before and he was the team doctor for an NHL and CFL team. Lol. Boy thats some kind of benchmark to set. The pain was unbearable at first but it goes quickly. Important to do your re-hab. Start and FINISH IT! Don't slack off because you think you are better. It will serve you in the long run. My only advice would be don't ride too soon and buy a pair of GOOD knee braces! I know it sucks to not ride but give your self time to heal. I rode in 3 months and I was idiot for doing so. Give yourself plenty of time, go get measured for braces, and wait 'til they're in. 6 months minimum. If you think you can't afford braces, think how much time you are off work and no paycheck and do the math. Cheap investment. Your knees will thank you.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

I've got the cti braces already. Working on the rehab right now.

Good to hear it's something I can and will get over.
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

Yes.
As a rule doctors and motorcyclists don't get along but my advice is listen to
your doctor and especially your therapist.
I'm a good patient with am appointment and a therapist standing over me, when I get cut loose I have all kinds of reasons not to get to it.
Stay on your therapy, you'll be fine.
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

They used hamstring to rebuild mine and right now I've got the weirdest numb and pins/needles feeling down the inside of my shin to my ankle. Hoping this goes away! It's almost as if it was frozen.

Otherwise I'm starting to put some weight on it. And moving around the house a lot easier.
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

I've torn three acl's and that pretty much ended my racing in my early 20's. I've had patella grafts and hamstring grafts and have found that the hammy's are a little more loose than the patella repair so my advise is to wear that knee brace. Both of my knees are pretty loose and over time I have to get cartlidge cleaned out due to tearing so I'm up to about a dozen scopes now. Probably going to get a knee replacement by 50. Rehab well, get your quads strong and keep them there along with usuing that brace. Stay light if you can, I've found that even 20 lbs of weight loss really helps the knees a bunch!