Kings Sand Rib Review?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
walz

Kings Sand Rib Review?

Post by walz »

I am shipping my bike to Oregon to do a west coast dune tour.

Anybody used the kings sand rib front tire? I found two reviews online. One loved it and another said it was too twitchy. Looks cool IMHO.
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

you gotta get used to it but once you figure it out its awesome. It doesnt float in the sand like a knobby.. when you turn the bars it turns then and NOW!! lol I rode one for a few seasons and liked it. I got tired of swapping tires to and from to go back to a desert setup so i just ran a knobby on the front all the time.. Changing one tire was enough 2 was a bitch..
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Jay Lewis runs that tire....

I cant catch him....

:cry:
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Ah .... I don't think its the tire Bob.

On a good day or in the open dunes Jay's hard to stay with even for me.

Now lets meet up at Comp Edge and have some fun with the step ups. :lol:

Dam that place is fun right now.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I have 1 and like it, some think it looks gay
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

who gives a shit what it looks like, when your roosting MF'ers it doesnt matter what it looks like.

What PSi do you run in that thing Jay?
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

iggys-amsoil wrote: Dam that place is fun right now.
did they change it up again? The nationals track is fun...the hillside track got tamed down the last time I was there...
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

kdizzle wrote:who gives a shit what it looks like, when your roosting MF'ers it doesnt matter what it looks like.

What PSi do you run in that thing Jay?
6-8 psi
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
kball1313

tire

Post by kball1313 »

I run one on my old faithful 90 sand bike. Without a doubt shoots where you point it a lot more than a knobby. I like it when the sand is dry and deep. But, in Oregon it's a toss up on the weather, so I find it can be a bit too twitchy in wet sand. Landing with the bars turned and it'll try to rip out of your hand or getting crossed up in rutted out sand can suck when it want to highside.

Overall, though I use it more than a knobby now for the dunes. Sit right up on the tank and flick it over at the top of a hill and it'll hang on at some pretty steep lean angles. Fingers dragging and the bar so close to the ground you'd think it was supermoto.
If if doesn't kill you, it hurts like hell.
Quads are dirtbikes for fat kids.
walz

Post by walz »

Thank you for the reviews. Does that tire in the pics have the three rib design? I just picked up the sand rib and it has three super aggressive ribs.

I look forward to giving it a try. As a back up plan I could shave some meat off of it if it's too aggressive.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

If you ride the dunes like Stoffers, the front tire dosent touch the sand much anyways.....
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

hoofarted wrote:
iggys-amsoil wrote: Dam that place is fun right now.
did they change it up again? The nationals track is fun...the hillside track got tamed down the last time I was there...
I didn't ride the hillside track. The mains pretty much the same a couple more step ups, its just that there is only one jump left to clear, More seat time and no wind will do it.

I guess before I jack this anymore I should say, It just doesn't look like a rib tire would grip enough, if you could call it that in sand. I wish the manufacturers would make them wider 90/100 for flotation but at the same time have pyramid shaped knobs.
I think there is another manufacturer that has even more aggressive knobs, not sure who.

Bridgestone M101