what clutch?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
2strokeforever

what clutch?

Post by 2strokeforever »

so my clutch went south today, had to push my bike a few miles back, is it normal for it to be working good then toast the next day???????
so i measured the disc and there 114, service limit is 112, but the plates have a lip on them where the pads? go and its 9 thou deep
i have a magura so it handles the freeplay, but when i took the flywheel cover off the magura slave was fully extended, 0 freeplay,
i know its supposed to have some, because it did when i first put the magura on
springs are 1.69" service 1.66

well anyways i dont like pushing so im gonna replace the clutch, what is the best for me, i want steel plates,
i heard barnett is good, but either there carbon, or kevlar discs were shit and wore out in a few rides

anyone tried a tusk kit, at $45 , it might be worth it just for the steel plates and springs

what about ebc?

so i want steel plates too
and dont want heavier springs, but might try them to see if it dosent bother me too much
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Barnett Carbon is "Brit-Proof".

Nuff said.......
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

AlisoBob wrote:Barnett Carbon is "Brit-Proof".

Nuff said.......

X491.... use your stock springs with it so the pull is easier :wink:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

well it looks like ill be getting that if i can get it before next weekend, if not ill get the tusk and the barnett carbon plates sent on their way

how quick should a clutch die?
i was ripping along, it was muddy so it migtve been slipping a bit and i wouldnt have noticed, then i come out of a corner and ZING, so i thought i was in neutral... well i was in gear... good thing it was mostly downhill or id still be pushing
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

99% of all clutches die from mis-adjustment
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

well if it did it was partly the magura s fault, because the slave was fully extended= 0 freeplay, when i tore it down,
but i make sure it has freeplay (slave not bottomed) everytime im under the ignition cover, and thats everytime i do the airfilter, to grease the clutch arm
4stroke=dead fish
britincali

Post by britincali »

Barnett carbon is indestructable and worth every penny, period.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

2strokeforever wrote:well if it did it was partly the magura s fault,
A GOOD tradesman never blames his tools.
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

dude if the hydraulic clutch is self adjusting then how can it be my fault IF it burnt out because of improper adjustment?
and i checked it often too
i think they wore out of the self adjust range (non adjustable) and quickly went downhill from there
if i had a cable i wouldve felt the clutch tighten up and i couldve loosened it from there and got back to the truck without pushing
but ill still keep the magura
4stroke=dead fish
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

FIGJAM :roll:
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

I currently use OEM fibers Barnett springs and Moose steel plates, I havent had an issue yet and its been 2 years of constant abuse hillclimbing, I use the same set up in my 250.
-Jake

MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

The Magura still has the spoke nipple adjustment on the end. If that isn't set right, or manages to vibrate loose (like mine did) all bets are off. The Magura self adjustment works great, but is still not idiot proof.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

When I first set up mine, I was lucky that when the clutch was disengaged ( Lever "IN"), the piston sat pretty high in the slave cylinder.

This would allow maximum travel downward ( automatic adjustment) as the clutch wore.

If the piston is allowed to bottom out in the slave cylinder, clutch slippage ( and death) will occur.

Check it out, tell us what you find.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

well it turns out the only clutch i can get for this weekend is EBC, so thats what im getting
When I first set up mine, I was lucky that when the clutch was disengaged ( Lever "IN"), the piston sat pretty high in the slave cylinder.
ill make sure mine is like that, and if it isnt ill have to grind the spacer with the o ring down.... but i think ill be ok, cause the discs were wore 9 thou each, and the plates were wore down quite a bit,
i dont think ill have that problem with steel plates, and ill check it more often
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

2strokeforever wrote:ill make sure mine is like that, and if it isnt ill have to grind the spacer with the o ring down....
Exactly....

Get your new clutch, check the lifter and push rod.... make sure everything is all bitchin', set the slave height..... and your good to go.

:headbang:
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Nothing wrong with the ebc clutch
03 CRF450/85 500
britincali

Post by britincali »

nmdesertrider wrote:Nothing wrong with the ebc clutch

Lots wrong with them, main problem is the supplied springs are shit and will sag out and cause total clutch destruction.

Ill never throw money away on one again, heres my last one....

If you must use an EBC do yourself a favor and trash the springs in favor of the stockers.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i plan on taking pstoffers advise and using the stockers for the lighter pull
thanks for the heads up tho
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

If you run the Magura, that lightens the pull right there.

I run 1/2 Honda and 1/2 Barnett in my carbon clutch.... I ran a cable when I first installed it

If I we to do it now, I'd run all Barnett.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

For the Ultra -Friggin'-Cheap-o Brit to fall off his wallet and throw down for the Barnett Carbon speaks volumes.

Tox had a accident recently, Chris wouldnt even take her to the hosipital... He sewed that shit together himself....

Listen to the man......
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

hinson basket and barnet clutches in my bike 3 seasons in the dunes with no problems :D
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Maybe i should put up the pics of the EBC clutch I got 2 1/2 years out of with no problems and with the EBC springs- but that would be boring wouldn't it?
03 CRF450/85 500
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Your not Brit, the standard that everything should be judged by...

Fucker could break an anvil.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

AlisoBob wrote:I run 1/2 Honda and 1/2 Barnett in my carbon clutch.... I ran a cable when I first installed it

If I we to do it now, I'd run all Barnett.
Same here half Honda half EBC springs. Stock cable.

Guess I'm not hard on the clutch, only use it for speed shifting on starts. :lol:
Have this EBC in here since the motor was in the steel framer. Shit like six years now! :shock:
zorak-2

Post by zorak-2 »

anyone still running stock friction plates with the upgraded steel plates? if so how are they holding up?
This site rocks
GEN 4 CRF500