bel ray vs maxima FFT

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
2strokeforever

bel ray vs maxima FFT

Post by 2strokeforever »

i went and bought a bunch of stuff online and i got it...
anyway the maxima Foam Filter Oil is:

easier to work into the filter because its mixed with something that evaporates

WAY STICKER once it dries, when its on my hands and i touch them together it leaves webs in between each hand

because its realy thin when you pour it on i think it makes a thinner more even coating on the foam, making me believe their claim that it flows more air

heres what maximas website says
Maxima FFT is the culmination of 3 years development program which resulted in a synthetic polymer formulation that flows 4-12% more air and retains up to 8% more contaminates than all other brands.
i think the bel ray filter oil is worse in every way

i also bought bel ray and maxima water proof grease...

the maxima stuff looked prettyer and was a lot "thiner" than the bel ray, as far as the grease not washing out the bel ray would outlast maxima for sure

im using bobs recomended chainsaw bar oil for my chain, i think it works good, but it attracts way too much dirt for the dustbowls i ride in,
its so dusty when i take a piss it leaves a small dust cloud

in my opinion

Bel Ray filter oil < maxima Foam Filter Oil

Bel Ray grease > maxima grease

can everyone post up what they think works best for those kind of things,
chain oil
filter oil
fork oil
shock oil
cable lube
brake fluid
grips/glue
ect.
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
britincali

Post by britincali »

can everyone post up what they think works best for those kind of things,
chain oil
filter oil
fork oil
shock oil
cable lube
brake fluid
grips/glue
ect.
Me personally....

chain oil = Whatever wax is cheapest in a spray can
filter oil = maxima every time
fork oil = whatever black thick nasty stuff is in there
shock oil = ^
cable lube = whatever brand in a green spray can that comes with the cable lube hookup thingymabobber.
brake fluid = whatever Ive got in the shed (think its dot 4)

grips/glue = (this im picky about) renthal dual compound half waffle/shoe goo and 3 wire wraps.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

for grips i will only buy ones that arent half waffle... maybe im a freak, the half waffle pisses me off????

i like these:
MSR Profile Grips, pure diamond work good

pro taper pillow top, good but the part your thumb touches is harder than a 20 year old tire and most people that use grip donughts are thumpertalk tools so i refuse to use them, other than that i like them the best

tag rebound, feel weird and make my hands tired but i can hang on better/harder
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

chain oil : None, good o-ring chain and shortly after washing bike spray down with wd40 and good to go.

filter oil : bel ray mostly but not too picky, even use premix oil when out of bel ray. Anything but no toil!

fork oil : Amsoil fork and shock
shock oil

cable lube : same as brit

brake fluid : whatever dot 4 I get my hands on

grips/glue : spider grips using clear spray paint and safety wire
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

It's not so much what you use, but rather that you DO the maintenance.

Good to know about the Maxima filter oil tho. I've been using Bel-Ray for most everything fluid for the last 20 years just cuz I trust em.

Grips: I LOVE these. http://www.odigrips.com/mxlock-onhonktm ... troke.aspx
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

if your a bel ray filter oil user you HAVE to try maxima, youll never go back...

really tho dirt wasnt getting by with either oil but you could tell the maxima had a lot more R and D and thought put in to it, where bel ray is just a thick premix oil
but i also clean my filters every 1-2 rides
4stroke=dead fish
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

I use LUCAS Oil Stabilizer for foam filter oil. it webs between your fingers, but soap and water will not take this crap off.....
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I use maxima for filter and I use filter skins which are also oiled in maxima. I used rotella 5w40 blue bottle in my 4 joke crank case, chain lube is whatever MFDB hooks me up with, honda coolant and fork oil (in the hondas) genuine KYB oil in the kawi, but still will use honda coolant. Maxima grease on the bearings. 3m weatherstrip adhesive and safety wire on the grips which are protaper pillow tops (the new black ones)

I use the maxima filter cleaner spray as well.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

dannygraves wrote:I use maxima for filter and I use filter skins which are also oiled in maxima. I used rotella 5w40 blue bottle in my 4 joke crank case, chain lube is whatever MFDB hooks me up with, honda coolant and fork oil (in the hondas) genuine KYB oil in the kawi, but still will use honda coolant. Maxima grease on the bearings. 3m weatherstrip adhesive and safety wire on the grips which are protaper pillow tops (the new black ones)

Dude, who told you to use all that shit? What an idiot...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

For Chain oil I use wd- 40 or silicone spray from kragen
filter oil I use No toil I know it sucks but its the easiest for me cleanup wise and I clean my filter every other ride so its no biggie.
fork and shock oil is what ever JN puts in since I dont have time to service my forks
cable lube silicone spray or wd 40
brake fluid napa dot 4
grips I use renthal full diamond hard grips with there glue no safety ties
LA's Totally Awesome for cleaning my bike this is the best stuff out and its only a dollar
Belray MC-1 50:1 for pre mix 91 octane
Belray Gear saver for tranny fluid
-Jake

NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

I use whatever in the trans.
Honda fork oil.
Maxima waterproof grease for the linkage bearings.
KLOTZ Super Techniplate premix
I tried Klotz Chain Lube..... i much prefer Maxima Chain Wax.
I dont lube the cables, i replace them. however, i would use powdered graphite in a pinch cause its not wet.

As for grips. out of every bike i have ever rode and all the different grips o have felt, i have never found a set i like as much as Progrip Triple Density. i have dual compound half-waffle grips on my bike now, i thought i would experiment (the bike came with the progrips). i wish i would have stuck with the progrips.......

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/produ ... gId=105465

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

M.F.D.B. wrote:
dannygraves wrote:I use maxima for filter and I use filter skins which are also oiled in maxima. I used rotella 5w40 blue bottle in my 4 joke crank case, chain lube is whatever MFDB hooks me up with, honda coolant and fork oil (in the hondas) genuine KYB oil in the kawi, but still will use honda coolant. Maxima grease on the bearings. 3m weatherstrip adhesive and safety wire on the grips which are protaper pillow tops (the new black ones)

Dude, who told you to use all that shit? What an idiot...
just some douche :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

chain oil - Maxima
filter oil - Maxima (spray-on)
fork oil / shock oil - Maxima
cable lube - some little green can I've had for a long time
brake fluid - not topped it up yet
grips/glue - Renthal gray waffle or smooth
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Silkolene synthetic chain lube is the ONLY crystal clear chain lube I have used that does NOT* fling off, at all, zero...

I can spotlessly clean my chain reinstall and lube it in about 5 minutes:

Pop chain (non-oring FTW) drop it in a bucket of gas, swish it around, remove and lay on the ground. Spray off with brake clean and "fling" dry. Put back on and lube...

I dont even need a brush, try that with chain "wax", that shit is a HUGE mess...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

M.F.D.B. wrote:Silkolene synthetic chain lube is the ONLY crystal clear chain lube I have used that does NOT* fling off, at all, zero...

Pop chain (non-oring FTW) drop it in a bucket of gas, swish it around, remove and lay on the ground. Spray off with brake clean and "fling" dry. Put back on and lube...

I dont even need a brush, try that with chain "wax", that shit is a HUGE mess...
just let the output shaft seal go bad. it will constantly lube your chain and wash the dirt off too!

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Nah, i prefer to leave out the center case gasket and fill the trans with pre-mix oil...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

M.F.D.B. wrote:Nah, i prefer to leave out the center case gasket and fill the trans with pre-mix oil...
thats not a bad idea either. i mean, the premix oil has excellent wear protection when used in the crankcase, so it would HAVE to offer good benefits in a transmission as well......screw it, im going to go drain the rear end in my truck and fill it with super techniplate!

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

NightBiker07 wrote:.....screw it, im going to go drain the rear end in my truck and fill it with super techniplate!
Nope wont work, your truck is a 4 stroke (thumper)...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

M.F.D.B. wrote:Silkolene synthetic chain lube is the ONLY crystal clear chain lube I have used that does NOT* fling off, at all, zero...

I don't even need a brush, try that with chain "wax", that shit is a HUGE mess...
I use the Maxima gold chain wax, 3rd season on my non o-ring chain and JT sprockets, cleans up in gas with zero mess. Type F in the tranny and Maxima FFT on the filter. Grips are what ever fits and hopefully matches :roll: but they need 3 wires each.... Hopefully who ever does my suspension don't piss in them :?

These dirt bike things use brake fluid :shock:
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF