Going the distance - nomad tanks

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
Roostmaster

Going the distance - nomad tanks

Post by Roostmaster »

Im setting up my new 01 steely for mega long rides, Im talking about 200 - 300 k's between watering holes (petrol stations).

Im the only bloke out of the guys I go trail / adventure riding with that uses a 2 stroke, and I refuse, cant & wont change to a 4 stroke so Ive had to make adaptations.

Ive ordered a clarke 4 gal / 15 litre tank which should give me around 150 - 180k's range, my CRE when tested with a 13 litre tank, 15 / 44 gearing and ridden softly to conserve fuel got 150k's from the 13 litres, but that was mostly on open dirt roads.

So to add to the 15ltr clarke Im going to get a nomad bum tank, which depending on the one that fits best will give me 5.8 - 8 ltrs more.

I usually carry a 5 litre fuel container in my back pack as well, and if needed Im thinking about taping a 2 litre coke bottle to the front mudgaurd to be used as soon as 2 litres is gone from the tank, I was looking at one of those acerbis tanks that mounts where your front # plate is but Im not to keen on it as I want to run a head light up front.

So in effect and if needed I should be able to carry around 28 - 30 litres reasonably comfortably, and have a range of maybe 300 k's

I will post up what its like after Ive given it a go.

8 litres
A bit limited in models it fits properly.
Left side-cover must be fairly flat.
Fits early KTM and most XR`s, TTR 250 etc. Bike needs a strong sub-frame, the tank is not heavy but the fuel is.

5.8 litres
Fits almost anything.
Fuel outlet is standard on the left but can be put on the right during manufacture if necessary.
I have been to the top of the mountain and yes it is good.
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST