OBAMA-METER

Express YOUR point, no pissing matches.

List sources whenever possible!
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

Exnav wrote:Something I never thought I would say, but Obama makes me miss Bill Clinton. :oops:
does he make you miss bush???
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Re: Obama Keeping Promises That Grow Government....

Post by thestuz »

redrocket190 wrote:Obama Keeping Promises That Grow Government; Abandoning Promises That Hold It Accountable

Posted on June 22, 2009, 4:40pm | Radley Balko

McClatchy summarizes the long list of policies where President Obama has reneged on campaign promises—either in letter or spirit—and adopted the policies of his predecessor. We've covered many of them here, but they range from a broad application of the state secrets doctrine to invocations of executive privilege to the Defense of Marriage Act to a host of other issues related to transparency and disclosure.

My own hunch is that presidents try to keep campaign promises that expand the government and their own power, and either back down from or are unwilling to expend much capital on promises that make government smaller and more accountable, thus limiting their own power.

Looking over PolitiFact's report card on Obama's campaign promises, that seems to be about right thus far. By my count (and some of this is certainly subjective) of the of the 31 promises the site says Obama has kept thus far, 20 in some way grow or expand the federal government. Just six make the government smaller, more transparent, or more accountable. The remaining five have no effect, or amount to a wash.

Of the six campaign promises PolitiFact says Obama has unquestionably broken, five would have limited his own power, provided tax breaks, or provided more accountability and transparency to the federal government. One was mostly symbolic (recognizing the Armenian genocide). So far, he hasn't broken a single promise that would grow or expand the government, though he has compromised on a few, and many have been stalled.

PolitiFact also gives Obama more credit than he deserves on some promises. For example, Obama's promise that "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes," was broken when he signed a bill raising taxes on cigarettes to pay for an expansion of the SCHIP program. PolitiFact calls this a "compromise." But "not any of your taxes" seems pretty clear. Obama didn't say, "not any of your taxes, so long as you don't smoke" or "so long as you don't have habits the government finds distasteful."

In short, I think it's safe to say that Obama has been willing to spend plenty of political capital on his promises that vastly expand the size and scope of the federal government, and relatively little on promises related to eliminating waste, putting limits on his own power, or making the government more transparent and accountable.

It's worth emphasizing that this analysis isn't holding Obama to some libertarian standard of the ideal president—I'm not looking at how many of his total policies grow government versus how many limit it or hold it accountable. It's holding him up against his own campaign promises. That is, even when you assume the positions of left-of-center, big government Obama-the-candidate as your baseline, Obama-the-president comes up short.
well a tax on smokes is not really a bad thing. i wish that was the only tax increase we had over here. :)
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

dannygraves wrote:I seriously wonder what our country will be like at the end of his term.
but sont forget what it was like at the start of his term. so far he has pulled out of that faggot of a war in iraq (saving countless billions), hes stopped what was supposed to be the biggest depression in history, and he might manage to fix the countries health care crisis(jurys still out on that one) just imagine if you still had that DUMB FUCK WHITEBOY BUSH!! (and im white by the way) bush ruined your international reputation, sent you to dumb fuck illegal wars, fucked up the 911 inquirey, let his close family friends(the binladens) escape and then left you with a economy in free fall while he headed off with with his zionist mates that made a killing out of it all. hes prob sitting back in his ranch right now, sippin whiskey from a glass laughin it up. were too busy slingin shit at the man whos tryin to fix shit up. that aint right.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

The USA is still very heavily involved in Iraq and is to send more troops to Afghanistan. The America as an imperial empire is still alive and well - defense spending, huge new embassies in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq. No real exit strategy and therefore embroiled in huge spending on "nation-building".

The chance of recession, depression, stagflation has not been stopped but simply delayed with unbelievable amounts of new debt and money pumped into the economy. No one has any idea how this will be re-payed without default, inflation or much higher taxes. We are doing the same as Japan did and they ended up with the "lost decade". Insanity is doing the same and expecting a different result.

Still intervening in markets, industries and failed companies. Still propping up bubbles with low interest rates and guarantees to Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae etc.

Still eroding civil liberties with renewal of the unconstitutional Patriot Act.

Obama has however exceeded even Bush's impact on the economy with cap and trade and the health care plan.

Different day. Same shit. Power and money are intrinsically corrupting and both political parties are products of this fact. Maybe different philosophies on some social issues, but overall the country was going in the wrong direction and continues to do so.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Regardless of who is steering the ship, I don't like the direction its heading in. ( CRUNCH! ) :(
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

redrocket190 wrote:The USA is still very heavily involved in Iraq and is to send more troops to Afghanistan. The America as an imperial empire is still alive and well - defense spending, huge new embassies in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq. No real exit strategy and therefore embroiled in huge spending on "nation-building".

The chance of recession, depression, stagflation has not been stopped but simply delayed with unbelievable amounts of new debt and money pumped into the economy. No one has any idea how this will be re-payed without default, inflation or much higher taxes. We are doing the same as Japan did and they ended up with the "lost decade". Insanity is doing the same and expecting a different result.

Still intervening in markets, industries and failed companies. Still propping up bubbles with low interest rates and guarantees to Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae etc. x2

Still eroding civil liberties with renewal of the unconstitutional Patriot Act.

Obama has however exceeded even Bush's impact on the economy with cap and trade and the health care plan.

Different day. Same shit. Power and money are intrinsically corrupting and both political parties are products of this fact. Maybe different philosophies on some social issues, but overall the country was going in the wrong direction and continues to do so.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

yeah anyone that knows the monetary system knows its fraudulant and designed to create debt that can never be payed off. and yes it has reached its tipping point and obama has delayed the inevietable. but im not sure he had any other way out. imagine him trying to explain to everyone that the system is a fraud, that he needs to tear it all down and start again? wouldn go to well and he would never get it past congress.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Yeah, why show leadership now when you can abdicate long-term control of your economy to foreign creditors?
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

thestuz wrote:
dannygraves wrote:I seriously wonder what our country will be like at the end of his term.
but sont forget what it was like at the start of his term. so far he has pulled out of that faggot of a war in iraq (saving countless billions), hes stopped what was supposed to be the biggest depression in history, and he might manage to fix the countries health care crisis(jurys still out on that one) just imagine if you still had that DUMB FUCK WHITEBOY BUSH!! (and im white by the way) bush ruined your international reputation, sent you to dumb fuck illegal wars, fucked up the 911 inquirey, let his close family friends(the binladens) escape and then left you with a economy in free fall while he headed off with with his zionist mates that made a killing out of it all. hes prob sitting back in his ranch right now, sippin whiskey from a glass laughin it up. were too busy slingin shit at the man whos tryin to fix shit up. that aint right.
So what's your story thestuz? Are you an American Expatriate living in Australia? What's your interest in American politics?
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

na, not an ex-patriot man, just take a real interest in politicts cos politics is what changes/shapes our lives/lifestyles. what happens in america seems to have knock on effects down here. as they say,"australia is ten years behind america". so knowledge is good.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Ten years behind America? Bullshit!

Australia is something like 13 hours ahead of America. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: :oops: Sorry dude couldn't help myself. :roll:
Jack Schitt
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

CR500R7 wrote:Ten years behind America? Bullshit!

Australia is something like 13 hours ahead of America. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: :oops: Sorry dude couldn't help myself. :roll:
lol jack :wink:

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

thestuz wrote:na, not an ex-patriot man, just take a real interest in politicts cos politics is what changes/shapes our lives/lifestyles. what happens in america seems to have knock on effects down here. as they say,"australia is ten years behind america". so knowledge is good.
Have you ever traveled to or lived in the US?
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

Exnav wrote:
thestuz wrote:na, not an ex-patriot man, just take a real interest in politicts cos politics is what changes/shapes our lives/lifestyles. what happens in america seems to have knock on effects down here. as they say,"australia is ten years behind america". so knowledge is good.
Have you ever traveled to or lived in the US?
from his posts, it seems that he just reads CBS and NBC's website over and over. he must really like katie courric, bill mauhr, and michael moore. seeing as he has absolutely no say in what goes on here, i take everything with a grain of salt. he doesn't realize how much better our healthcare is than every other nation in the world. that's why people travel from all over the world (especially people from countries with socialized health care) to get health care here. he also doesn't seem to have ever actually been to the USA, or he would realize that the national news outlets dramatize everything to make anything remotely conservative look like it will cause the end of the world, while making the liberal douche bag causes seem as they will save everyone and make everyone rich for doing nothing.

btw, obama doesn't just make me miss bush, he makes me miss most presidents back to reagan. i say back to reagan because his predecessor, jimmy carter, was a complete idiot that was just as bad as the asshat that was elected as the POTUS. just the other day ol' jimmy proved once again that he is a dumb ass.
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
Tayler89

Post by Tayler89 »

thestuz wrote:
Do you enjoy providing proof that you are a dumb fuck? I'm not going to take the time to address all this, I'm growing tired of teaching you.

The evil US....... I challenge you to find another country in history of the world that has spent as much money or given up as many lives liberating and providing freedom for others. Are we perfect? Nope! But what have you Aussies ever done on a scale even close.

I could give a rats ass what your country or any other thinks of us. When their/your ass is on the line, they/you don’t have any problem begging us for help.

If it were not for this horrible country you would likely be speaking Japanese, if you were alive at all!

You probably believe saving the world from the Nazis and Imperial Japan was an unjust war.

PS. When referring to Iraq I haven't heard you mention the # of his own people that Sadam Hussein enslaved and/or murdered. Why don't you go ask the Iraqis if they prefer life then or now.....You Dumb Fuck!
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

yep, they love that liberty.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
britincali

Post by britincali »

I can sum this up nicely :D

This country LOVES to live beyond its means hell its the american dream, I almost got caught up in it but thank god I had a feeling things were gonna go down the shitter :cry: The credit card spending bill is now overdue and the red letters are in the mail, Ive never heard of a country filing chapter 13 but hey somethings gotta happen :lol:

Iraq... no the entire middle east is ALL ABOUT THE OIL, this place loves oil and I personally consume barrels of the shit monthly :D, if we dint need or use oil there would be no troops there PERIOD.

Bush was an idiot, but thanfully the pres does not make as many decisions as we give them credit for.

There is a 0.000001% chance obama is the antichrist, thankfully I do not believe in religious mumbo jumbo so thats now a 0% chance. He does however have a completely impossible task in front of him.

And thats all I can be bothered typing :D

Oh and auzzies are all inbreeds and theves.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
"SOLID Bro!!"

Post by "SOLID Bro!!" »

britincali wrote:I can sum this up nicely :D

This country LOVES to live beyond its means hell its the american dream, I almost got caught up in it but thank god I had a feeling things were gonna go down the shitter :cry: The credit card spending bill is now overdue and the red letters are in the mail, Ive never heard of a country filing chapter 13 but hey somethings gotta happen :lol:

Iraq... no the entire middle east is ALL ABOUT THE OIL, this place loves oil and I personally consume barrels of the shit monthly :D, if we dint need or use oil there would be no troops there PERIOD.

Bush was an idiot, but thanfully the pres does not make as many decisions as we give them credit for.

There is a 0.000001% chance obama is the antichrist, thankfully I do not believe in religious mumbo jumbo so thats now a 0% chance. He does however have a completely impossible task in front of him.

Brit you better straighten up just a little brit.

First at hand is the financial crisis, Why in the hell are they trying to cram health care down our throat it's only going to cost more.

Quit trying to spend and lets try to save.

Anti-Christ no, Him and all his flock idiots.

Don't make me come up there and punch you right in the cocksucker.
:lol: :lol:
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Yeah you tell him SGT Major Sargent Sir. :wink:

Oh brit, go and have another drink or 10 to many. :roll: :roll:

:D :D
Jack Schitt
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
britincali

Post by britincali »

First at hand is the financial crisis, Why in the hell are they trying to cram health care down our throat it's only going to cost more.
Bad timing, 100% agree.

A reform is needed tho, the system in place simply doesnt work.

Quit trying to spend and lets try to save.
:
If everyone had lived by those words a decade ago it might be different now.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Thats like closing the gates after the horse has bolted. :? :?

Prevention is better than cure. :wink:
Jack Schitt
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

britincali wrote:

A reform is needed tho, the system in place simply doesnt work.

like...85% of the populace had insurance of some form or another. only 15% is without, but if they got hit by a truck, they could and would recieve immediate care. And our healthcare here is the best of anywhere.....why you think people from around the world come here to get fixed? about the only thing that needs changed is pricing. a 3 day hospital stay can be 30 grand....BS. you notice, all these "nonprofit" hospitals continually expanding and expanding......they are blowing their money to keep nonprofit status......instead of adding a new wing, credit the patients back a % of their bill.......or just lower the damn cost. of that 30 grand, i bet not even 10 makes it to the doctors and nurses that took care of you.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
britincali

Post by britincali »

the only thing that needs changed is pricing..

In a nutshell.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

britincali wrote:I can sum this up nicely :D

lololol so true. but us aussies are just criminals and thieves that england didnt want.(R7 is the inbred but dont tell him) :)
Last edited by thestuz on September 24th, 2009, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.