Ironman sprocket BOLTS REALLY REALLY suck!

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
Disturbed

Ironman sprocket BOLTS REALLY REALLY suck!

Post by Disturbed »

The hex head is about 3/16" deep and strips out very easily. :evil: :evil:
Last edited by Disturbed on September 27th, 2009, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

use a open end wrench on the nut to loosen it, while just holding pressure on the allen head. that way has worked for me for years. at first i tried just using the allen head to loosen it, and i was stripping them constantly. now, i never strip them.
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

And make sure you use the box end side too. Oh and good luck with that one or two spokes in the way. :wink: :lol: Well, at least with the 19" 250 rim.
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

[quote="LAYNFRM"]use a open end wrench on the nut to loosen it, while just holding pressure on the allen head. that way has worked for me for years. at first i tried just using the allen head to loosen it, and i was stripping them constantly. now, i never strip them.[/quote

I did/do. With the pre-locktite [d] bolts they were broken loose and backed out 1/8"+ but that's when 2 bolt heads stripped.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

LAYNFRM wrote:use a open end wrench on the nut to loosen it, while just holding pressure on the allen head. that way has worked for me for years. at first i tried just using the allen head to loosen it, and i was stripping them constantly. now, i never strip them.
X2!
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

hoofarted wrote:
LAYNFRM wrote:use a open end wrench on the nut to loosen it, while just holding pressure on the allen head. that way has worked for me for years. at first i tried just using the allen head to loosen it, and i was stripping them constantly. now, i never strip them.
X2!
hummm go figure
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

As long as you bust the nut side loose first....should not be an issue. Torque should be applied and broken on the nut side....ALWAYS. :wink:
Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot.......
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

Is it really that difficult to understand the bolt had been broken loose and the bolt was being used to continue to loosen it when 2 allen heads stripped?

Crap, that seems pretty simple to understand to me.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

It is just like it reads. :roll: :roll:

Reads simple to me. :wink:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

Yeah, you guys are fucking perfect and so are Ironman sprocket bolts. :roll:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Stop using chinese hex drivers....
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Disturbed wrote:Yeah, you guys are fucking perfect and so are Ironman sprocket bolts. :roll:
nice fucken attitude :roll:
like they all said on ALL BRANDS OF SPROCKET BOLTS, only use the allen side to hold it steady, apply all torque to the nut.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

How hard is to understand?:

I WAS

Funny, the T handle packaging reads "Made in USA".
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

I must side with Disturbed on this issue, I havent used iron man sproket bolts before, but I have used msr and they suck, the metal is very brittle and does strip very easily when installing them correctly, also they came loose after eveyride. The point is some things are best bought oem and sprocket bolt are one of those things.
-Jake

ISBB

Post by ISBB »

i have used MSR bolts on the 500 and my 426.. just dont try and tighten loosen with the allen side and use a boxed end wrench on the nut side and your good.. never one problem with sprocket bolts for me. Now im gonna head to the garage to night just to check lol
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

caseyracing222 wrote:I must side with Disturbed on this issue, I havent used iron man sproket bolts before, but I have used msr and they suck, the metal is very brittle and does strip very easily when installing them correctly, also they came loose after eveyride. The point is some things are best bought oem and sprocket bolt are one of those things.
Clearly another hack doing it all wrong with improper tools. You just need to do it correctly like I know how to.

You need to just hold the allen side while applying torque to the nut side. If you do this properly every bolt made on the planet will spin loose with ease and never strip. I don't know why someone else hasn't pointed this out earlier on this thread.

:wink:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

caseyracing222 wrote:The point is some things are best bought oem and sprocket bolt are one of those things.
Most everything....

caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

AlisoBob wrote:
caseyracing222 wrote:The point is some things are best bought oem and sprocket bolt are one of those things.
Most everything....

yup, I buy all oem honda parts because they are reasonably priced, but for yamaha I buy what I can afford the cranks are close to $400 and pistons are $200, I dont understand why Yamaha parts are so overpriced, usually honda parts are only a few more dollars than aftermarket
-Jake

caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

Disturbed wrote:
caseyracing222 wrote:I must side with Disturbed on this issue, I havent used iron man sproket bolts before, but I have used msr and they suck, the metal is very brittle and does strip very easily when installing them correctly, also they came loose after eveyride. The point is some things are best bought oem and sprocket bolt are one of those things.
Clearly another hack doing it all wrong with improper tools. You just need to do it correctly like I know how to.

You need to just hold the allen side while applying torque to the nut side. If you do this properly every bolt made on the planet will spin loose with ease and never strip. I don't know why someone else hasn't pointed this out earlier on this thread.

Im no hack and I know how to install sprocket bolts, ive been wrenching on bikes for 13 years...
-Jake

Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

caseyracing222 wrote:
Disturbed wrote:

Im no hack and I know how to install sprocket bolts, ive been wrenching on bikes for 13 years...
And after my almost 40 years of fooling with bikes it's not impossible to see way I got a wee bit cranky with the redundant posts.
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

There was no need to get snappy at someone who was on your side
-Jake

Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

Sorry you didn't get it....you weren't the brunt of it.

Sarcasm: stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest, mock, hurt or insult a person, situation or thing; extreme form of irony.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Well Ive had the whole deal from the start, I know what you have been getting at. :wink:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

he has a good point. the shallow hex head is not the best design imo. i too had the same problem with one of mine. even though i was using the hex side just to hold it, the bolt can still spin in the hole. therefor the pressure you apply to the nut finds its way to the hex head on the other side. i prefer metric nuts/bolts anyday. but as already said, use correct tensile allen keys that are the right fit and make sure you have some locktite on the nuts, pref the stuff that doesnt dry while your wrenching. good luck
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.