FMF Gnarly vs. Stock pipe comparison

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
TYSTYX

FMF Gnarly vs. Stock pipe comparison

Post by TYSTYX »

In case anyone wants to know the difference between the two.

I have never had anything but FMF Gnarlys on my bike, so after my pipe cracked a few weeks ago I found a nice stock pipe and slapped it on. I ride desert consisting of dunes, sandy river washes, sandy hills, fast and slow trails, etc. At first the stock pipe felt really weird compared to what I was used to. The bottom hit was less than the Gnarly was, but not really enough to bother me, even on the slow technical trails. The first time I ripped up a tall sand hill also felt strange. Again the torque felt less, but the bike was able to rev out more with the stock pipe, and with a 500 the lessened torque didnt really make a difference in the bike's climbing ability. On this one hill I usually start close to the bottom and upshift as Im going up the hill. With the Gnarly I would always end up in 4th gear about 3/4's the way up, but with the stock pipe I would hit 3rd gear about half way up and just leave it......and it seemed to carry the same speed as 4th gear on the Gnarly. After about an hour of hard riding I really started to like the feel of the stock pipe because the ability to rev out more was perfect for me plus the bike felt much faster since I could spread the gears out a little more. I havnt had a chance to ride it in the dunes yet, but Im 100% sure Im going to love it.
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

MICK

Post by MICK »

That's why I'm a Pro Circuit fan. Because the stocker feels to me like your FMF does to the stocker. I don't mind the softer bottem end. I like that I can use the shit out of every gear. The FMF's have a place in this community for sure. But the power delivery they produce just rubs me wrong. The way I ride I just feel the FMF Gnarly ruins the CR/KX500 powerbands. Now the old Fatty's they made...that was a whole different story.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

MICK wrote: The way I ride I just feel the FMF Gnarly ruins the CR/KX500 powerbands.
After riding the stock pipe, I have to agree !! For Christmas I'll buy my bike a Pro Circuit pipe. :D
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Yep that's what I keep saying....
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

cool...one day i'm gunna get that teemtrubble pro circuit works system. one day very soon. :lol:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

PC really shines when its mated with topend port job :wink: . stock pipe also works good. only problem i had with both pipes is they soften the bottom end too much for me
britincali

Post by britincali »

Ive experienced the complete opposite, the PC sucked nuts for top end :?
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

britincali wrote:Ive experienced the complete opposite, the PC sucked nuts for top end :?
X998987654328887999987898888765544467888 :applaud:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

britincali wrote:Ive experienced the complete opposite, the PC sucked nuts for top end :?
Lean it out more......

britincali

Post by britincali »

No spooge, chocolate brown plug, brown grey inside the silencer, squeezin the shit out of it......

I aint leaning it out any :wink:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
MICK

Post by MICK »

What pipe do you know of has more top end than a PC? It's not the stocker or FMF that's for damn sure.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Noleen.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

MICK wrote:
What pipe do you know of has more top end than a PC? It's not the stocker or FMF that's for damn sure.

:roll:
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

MICK

Post by MICK »

pstoffers wrote:
MICK wrote:What pipe do you know of has more top end than a PC? It's not the stocker or FMF that's for damn sure.

You've got to be kidding...
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

MICK wrote:
pstoffers wrote:
MICK wrote:What pipe do you know of has more top end than a PC? It's not the stocker or FMF that's for damn sure.

You've got to be kidding...

NOPE I'm not.....
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

ISBB

Post by ISBB »

i rode my bike with a PC one weekend sold it shortly after.. im puttin the gnarly back on and gonna ride the piss outta it :D
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

FMF Fatty, or old regular gold series all the way. power characteristics like a stock pipe with a little more all over. :twisted:
I've got one of each and the gnarly is leaving with the next bike I sell. :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Darrell262

Post by Darrell262 »

My 500 came with a pc pipe. Its still on it. I don't know what stock was like.

my ktm 300 stocker was ok. I put on a fmf fatty and I seen the light

FMF Fatty on my 300 is hands down better then the stocker. Revs higher then stock, It holds power band in 3rd gear all the way to the top of a hill I climb alot (stocker wouldnt, I had to gear down to 2nd) I had to rejet the the bike from a 162main to a 165 main after putting the fatty on cause it was too lean for my liking, and I noticed the bike pulled better on the top end after the fatter jet anyhow)

I tryed a FMF Gnarly on a af cr 500 (ice racing) and I also tryed a ktm 200 with a gnarly as well I didn't like the ktm 200. I felt like it lost way too much top end. Pretty much killed it)

and the gnarly on the 500 didn't work out so well just because your pinning it all the time racing. top end wasn't as good.
98 Cr 500 Steelie, 08 KTM 300
Both sporting Tera Flex 150x90x18 tires.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

a little field shootout yesterday against bro, he was almost able to keep up :lol:
I'm 40lbs on bro, he's piped gnarly and running a pj, i had the pwk+fatty
i could pull him from dead stop + way up top right thru 5th on a soft field, and held it out for almost 1/2 a mile. was 14C out and i was light on the pilot, would detonate when letting off slow. both of us added about an inch of blue to the pipes but the only part failure was the loss of a millville that got cut on a rock.
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

has anyone tried the new CPI CR500 sand pipe yet? They claim 9 hp over stock pipe on a stock port motor. they produce and sell alot of banshee and snowmobile pipes and I know the banshee pipe is very popular.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

a friend of mine had CPI pipes on his banshee and used to smoke all the other (much more built $$$) banshees. his was mildly ported, stock heads, 36mm PJs and cpi pipes and he was smoking stroker motors with powervalve jugs and toomley pipes.
he claimed it was those cpi pipes :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

I'm not made of money but for $299.00 unplated I might have to try one. They are a beast of a pipe from seeing the picture on their website.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

stock motor is lame and probly wont work well with the sand pipe, granted it will work but not to full potential. defiantly wont ever see 9hp on a stock motor. cpi said the test bike was ported etc.. probly all topend porting im assuming.
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

ha interesting, I e-mailed them and asked if the 9 hp was actually factual since that's a huge increase just slapping a pipe on and if the porting was stock. They told me that the bike was completely stock so here we go I guess.

I will probably do some clean up porting on mine but that's it. I asked them what the power spread of this pipe is and never responded. I'm sure it's all top end. CPI guys are riding the dunes in Idaho and Utah and the sand is soft and the hills are steep and long, perfect for this kind of pipe.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

must of been the secretary lady that responded to your email :lol: . i would call them next time. not saying youll get 100% facts on the phone either but it should be more accurate than email. i wouldnt bother with clean up porting... theres nothing to clean up, its a waste of time, and does nothing for making power...... anyone that tells you other wise is a liar. if you dont know the proper port timings to make it run strong then i would send it to someone that knows. packard and jerry hall make them run good but theres a couple more shops that can do a good job. go BIG or go home :headbang: