MSR starting to suck

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
exackery

MSR starting to suck

Post by exackery »

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in regards to MSR rad guards. I had originally purchased a set for my 98 cr 500 --> the installation went ok and they fit just fine .
I'm just about ready to get my AF on the road and thought I would buy a set for the "new" bike based on my previous experience.
Yikes they suck--> I'm going to have to do some serious modification to get them to work at all. These are rad guards for an 04 crf250.
Worse--> I thought I'd send them an email and complain about the awful fit and if you go to their website there is no contact information at all! Thats nice --> now you don't even support your own products. Malcolm should be ashamed. If your going to sell crap you better be willing to hear about it!
Thought all Hoons should know MSR has dropped quite a few pegs
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

have never really been a fan of msr products..

bought some levers lasted 2 rides and i didnt even crash.. the bolt holes wallowed out and were loose and sloppy.. front brake too and i dont even use it that much in the dunes if ever.
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

That's too bad, they used to be the best for certain things. I have a Malcom Smith Racing jacket from the early 90's (before they were called MSR) and it is an incredible American made jacket that cost me alot back then, like almost 100 bucks. Now they still cost around 100 bucks, but are made in China, junk imo.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Travis

Post by Travis »

My clutch lever is MSR and it is wallowed out to the point I had to adjust the cable to get the clutch to disengage. All loose and floppy. Had a little spill afterward and it bent way down. I just grabbed it and straightened it by hand and now there is even more flop. ASV on the brake that works sweet.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

I've heard MSR riding gear isn't that great either. Even the AXO pants I got are coming apart after 6 or 7 rides, the gloves were not thick enough too. My hands were really feeling it, however that was on the 250, NO flex bars or Rally grips, but they seem ok on the AF.

On the other hand the MSR gloves mom bought eight years ago have held up really well.
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

Malcolm Sold the rights to his name and his products a few years ago. the quality control is not the same because its not the same company. Everyone deserves to retire at some point, i guess. too bad its at the expense of the consumer. :cry:
90cr500guy

Post by 90cr500guy »

south central hoon wrote:Malcolm Sold the rights to his name and his products a few years ago. the quality control is not the same because its not the same company. Everyone deserves to retire at some point, i guess. too bad its at the expense of the consumer. :cry:
Thats why they opened the MSR outlet store nest to the dealership that he still has an office in?
Somehow I think he is still involved
Brit's queer
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

90cr500guy wrote:
south central hoon wrote:Malcolm Sold the rights to his name and his products a few years ago. the quality control is not the same because its not the same company. Everyone deserves to retire at some point, i guess. too bad its at the expense of the consumer. :cry:
Thats why they opened the MSR outlet store nest to the dealership that he still has an office in?
Somehow I think he is still involved
Tucker Rocky now owns MSR...
exackery

Mind's made up

Post by exackery »

On top of the other piece of crap I also had a chain slider on back order and just got it the other day. Yikes, now thats a serious P.O.S. --> well boys, Malcolm Smith or not thats the last MSR purchase. There a little too much "made in China" crap goin on there. Not worth the risk.

Just a heads up