DID VT2 Narrow X-Ring Chain

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
Rosco-Peeko

DID VT2 Narrow X-Ring Chain

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

I bet if you were to pull the counter sprocket off a majority of the bikes out there you would see "rub" marks from chain interference. I aint scared, my 500 has em.

But why? Well, if you have dumped a non-oring chain in favor of a o-ring or x-ring depending on the chain...you're a smart lad IMO. O-ring/X-ring chains are less maintenance due to o-rings placed at each pin which keeps grease in and water/dirt out. Does this mean non-oring chains are bad? Absolutely not..merely a preference for non closed course riding.

I saw this chain @ rockymountainatv and was kinda taken by it.
http://www.didchain.com/enduroChains.html
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/ ... Ring-Chain

It claimed you would not need to run a spacer for the chain to clear your case, like this:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/ ... aft+spacer

I figured why not so I picked one up to.......yep replace a worn non-oring chain. Came in looking like this:

It was wrapped up in wax paper and provided with a master link:

The chain was coated with grease with easily wiped off with a few passes with a clean rag. I left it on where the pins contact sprocket teeth. I thought this was an important point to make. Most people dont want to spend large amounts of time removing grease/cosmoline. I bought a Renthal O-ring Chain like in 04...it was covered with a waxy substance that was a pain in the rear to remove and what I couldn't get flung all over the place on the first ride.

So......is it really narrow? Oh yeah!!! Here is what I came up with:

This is my DID VM X-Ring for the 500 (Desert Gearing).

Here is the Tusk X-Ring thats on the 500 now:

The DID VT2 Narrow X-Ring:

Differences by eyeballing, DID VM is on left and VT2 is right:

Installed, I looked with a mirror and no contact/interference. Spun rear wheel numerous times with same result.

Overall, I am pleased with it. Who doesn't like DID X-Rings? Not to take away from other companies. I've pretty much ran DID or Tusk. Oh and that one Renthal. I really like Tusk's stuff--quality on a budget.

Worried that this wont stand up to the abuse of the mighty 500? It's rated to up to a 500cc and 8,440 pounds of tensile strength. I think you'll be fine unless your a hillbilly squirtin NOS.  
Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot.......
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i ran one, it held up good
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: DID VT2 Narrow X-Ring Chain

Post by AlisoBob »

Rosco-Peeko wrote: Image

Nice to see a properly adjusted chain ....

:wink: