1991 cr500 some suspension questions

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
719moto mx

1991 cr500 some suspension questions

Post by 719moto mx »

hey guys, I have a 91 cr500 I am fully restoring from the ground up, can anyone here confirm that a 96+ or newer front end set up with directly bolt onto this 91 frame? all I need is brake caliber, axel, wheel, forks, and the triple clamps correct? and could I make the rear more modern or should I just rebuilt the stock 91 rear suspension? thank you for the help and ideas.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Yes it bolts straight onto the 91 frame, you need everything....I believe you listed it all and it is a huge upgrade. The rear I am not sure about the 91 but I think you can bolt all the same stuff on there. There are 2 different swingarms that can be identified by how they weld up in the front, if you have the later style swingarm it all bolts up. The later shock has the High speed adjustment. I personally cant tell a huge difference between the different years of rear suspension, but i can tell a huge difference up front. The early years of USD forks sucked bad!!!
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
719moto mx

Post by 719moto mx »

Awesome I really appreciate that help I been searching for ever to figure it out and could not fully get the answers. I guess off to ebay I go looking for all new front end. I am rebuilding my 91 fully from ground up, going upgrade everything with stock or after market parts, repaint or powder coat the bike, build the engine fully up with everything brand new. I got two 91 cr500 one just turned to a paper weight the engine got a dime sized hole in the bottom right case, crank and rod are seized, piston shattered on the intake side and left a very nasty deep gouge in my cylinder, I was going to rebuild that engine now I am thinking of keeping it for spare parts and using my perfectly running 91 engine but still redoing the whole bottom to top, I rather start with all new and inspect my parts, can't make junk out of both 91 engines that would be horrific.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

There are guys like the administrator of this site Roosty who can fix those cases for you. Is the crank actually siezed or just pinched up with piston fragments sitting in the bottom of the case? the gouges may bore out depending on what bore you are on. If you can still see part of the original scallops there is a pretty good chance. I think Roosty pushes in sleeves as well. All that said I agree you are probably at a better starting point with your other motor but all is not lost with this one.

You learned your lesson on the piston. The check for condition is a look through the intake side, they always seem to let go on that side of the motor on what would be the drivers side of a car. When I pick up a new 500 I usually just yank the top end off and throw a fresh one in so I know where I am at and send the one I took off out for the clean up. Always have at least one with piston ready to go. The top ends are so cheap....whole motors not so much.
719moto mx

Post by 719moto mx »

Thanks a lot you know your stuff and put me on the right sources, i was clueless, i know oemistons are known to go out on the intake side, i was going to send my engine to eric gorr at fast motion, i dont have all the tools like case splitter and crank puller, to do all the work myself. But your sources might be much better option. I dont want to tame the bike down at all, i love the brute power of the bike, i use boyesen rad valve with a fmf gnarly chamber and a pro circuit rear exhaust, gives me a lot of low end and with a big rear sprpcket it accelerates and pulls hard with the short gearing. My 500af has a 96 engine and it is set up with pro circuit platinum and 304 on back that engine pulls much longer the gears feel almost double as long as the 91 engine. The 91 the bike revs out so fast you are speed shifting. I ride a lot of the open desert, 3rd to 5th gear but also ride mx
I ride in colorado and have a 2700 acre area to ride at that has all sorts of terrain changes and styles of riding, as well as a mx section that has not been upkept in many years but it is still very fun to ride.
719moto mx

Post by 719moto mx »

And i forgot to add i just ordered a very nice set of front forks,triple clamps,front brake caliper set up from a 2000 cr500. I painted my rear subframe a red but i decided i do not lole the red color, so i contacted the powdercoat company and got a rough quote on how much to media blast and powdercoat my frame and subframe as well as a few other parts with the color of my choice. Now i am deciding on what color to choose, as they have about 6000 colors, from plain colors, candy, metallic, and even a anodized looking finish. I want the bike to be custom and stand out, i think a white frame is common and looks good but i am leaning towards something more unique.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Roosty can do a motor any way you want it from stock to full on crazy power, the other guy on here who knows how to treat these motors is Blownbillybob. I don't have any personal experience with Gore but know he has been respected as sum-what of a Guru but I believe he has become large enough that everything is being done by the guys in his shop not the man himself. Your 91 motor has different gears in it I believe than your 1996. I think everything is the same except 4th and 5th. Roosty has a skydrive link on here under his name that has all the info of what is different about each motor, what swaps what fits where and all that. I don't know anything....I learned it all from Roosty.

I think Alisobob on here who started this site was the guy who had a steely frame powdercoated a deep candy metalic red that I always thought popped. I usually just turn everything black, but I just built a snowbike 500 and went white and blue. Taken a bit of crap for not just sticking with my usual black bart color styling.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

The candy red metallic bike is Rob129's
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
719moto mx

Post by 719moto mx »

I got the frame out being powdercoated. I went with a translucent candy red with silver flake. The base coat was silver with flake shot over with the translucent candy red. We will see how it comes out, not sure what to expect yet. I also have been working on polishing a front hub out than the rear hubs, going polish and powdercoat the hubs or put a carbon fiber 3m sticker over the middle hub with polished sides of hub. I got everything needed now to get the suspension up to date. I am going send out my new 2000 front forks and the 91 rear shock to be resprung and valved at race tech. I am going look into hard anodizing as well for the fork tubes and rear shock rezervoir.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

:worthless:
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
719moto mx

Post by 719moto mx »

sorry about that only camera I have is my go pro and my phone. I am going to go buy a digital camera to take pictures so I can take pics of the frame and everything. but I have been keeping progress of the build on my youtube channel with videos from my go pro, also have some of my 500 and bike collection videos of riding this 91 cr500 before it gave out and blew up. don't lose interest in the build and progress I have pictures coming as soon as I get my frame back I will take pictures of it all. I got some previous videos showing the frame before and then after I took it to welder to improve the bottom rail on frame and now the frame and subframe are at powder coater where they will blast the frame with media (not sand) before powder coating that way the powder can grip and doesn't chip off easily. once I get the frame back I am taking pictures of it and the new front fork set up, these new 2000 cr500 forks look very nice condition and I can only imagine how much better they must feel compared to what I was used to (stock 91 front forks but stiffer springs)