Shock charging

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
Tharrell

Shock charging

Post by Tharrell »

I'm gonna rebuild a shock and was wondering where do you guys who have done it get it charged with nitrogen, I don't think any of the shops around here do it?
Will argon gas be ok or does it have to be nitrogen?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Its supposed to be nitrogen.

The Atmosphere is 85% nitrogen.

All the bladdrer realy does is give the oil volume that the rod takes up somewhere to go.

Nitrogen doesnt expand with heat

Air does....

Fuck, I dont know....
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

If your local suspension guy is worth a shit, he'll do it for you for <$20.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Here's the page.
This has gotta be a typo, I mean all my other manuals call for around 142psi.
What ya think?
Also, I'm gonna swipe a canister from an XR200 for the rebound adjustment. Any thoughts on that?

Edit....It occurred to me that I could possibly get it recharged at a welding supply shop, gonna check on that monday.

fmikhele

Post by fmikhele »

Argon is more dense

0.58 (Nitrogen) : 1 (Argon), I understand that it is only a reservoir about the size of a pop can, but racers are always saying ounces lead to pounds... :P

Also took it a bit further with the ideal gas law PV=nRT, the volume on what you are filling and the pressure you are filling that volume to are ideally the same i.e PV(Nitrogen) = PV (Argon).

Working the rest out gives a ratio of 0.31(Nitrogen) : 1(Argon). So when riding every 1 degree rise in temp of that rear shock filled with argon would be a 0.31 degree rise of that same shock filled with nitrogen in theory. Nitrogen has better thermal properties vs. Argon :nanna:

Anyways I will send the bill to you in the mail.... haha
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I called Race Tech and spoke to louis in tech.

Yes, 284 psi. Apparently '82 '83 had high pressure shocks.
No, can't use Argon gas. Didn't really get a good explanation.

No matter, my riding buddy Sam is gonna get a nitrogen cylinder since he already has all the gauges and stuff.
Nobody around here is doing it so he figured between all the riding buddies alone he could get it done and offer a service to everyone else.
fmikhele

Post by fmikhele »

Tharrell wrote: No, can't use Argon gas. Didn't really get a good explanation.
fmikhele wrote:Argon is more dense

0.58 (Nitrogen) : 1 (Argon), I understand that it is only a reservoir about the size of a pop can, but racers are always saying ounces lead to pounds... :P

Also took it a bit further with the ideal gas law PV=nRT, the volume on what you are filling and the pressure you are filling that volume to are ideally the same i.e PV(Nitrogen) = PV (Argon).

Working the rest out gives a ratio of 0.31(Nitrogen) : 1(Argon). So when riding every 1 degree rise in temp of that rear shock filled with argon would be a 0.31 degree rise of that same shock filled with nitrogen in theory. Nitrogen has better thermal properties vs. Argon
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

fmikhele wrote:
Tharrell wrote: No, can't use Argon gas. Didn't really get a good explanation.
fmikhele wrote:Argon is more dense

Working the rest out gives a ratio of 0.31(Nitrogen) : 1(Argon). So when riding every 1 degree rise in temp of that rear shock filled with argon would be a 0.31 degree rise of that same shock filled with nitrogen in theory. Nitrogen has better thermal properties vs. Argon
Yeah, I saw your post.
I was just posting what I got or didn't get from Race Tech.
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

If you use your buddy's nitrogen tanks remember you'll need an air shock adapter so you can pull the hose off without losing any pressure from the reservoir. Go to a mountain bike shop and ask for an adapter for a Fox air shock or similar.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

redrocket190 wrote:If you use your buddy's nitrogen tanks remember you'll need an air shock adapter so you can pull the hose off without losing any pressure from the reservoir. Go to a mountain bike shop and ask for an adapter for a Fox air shock or similar.
You've got an air cooled big bore.
Is it high pressure too?
Any notion why the 82, 83 are high pressure?
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Alas I have the CR480R no more, and rue the day I sold it. I'll guess that at the time Honda was experimenting with the variables of single-shock suspension - linkage, spring rate etc. - and came up with a design that needed a fast rising rate "air spring" to prevent bottoming and that's why the bladder has a high pressure.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Will argon gas be ok or does it have to be nitrogen?
chumley could probably get away using argon, nitrogen for everyone else :lol:
you'll need an air shock adapter so you can pull the hose off without losing any pressure from the reservoir
again unless your chumley this needs to be done
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish