Cr500/480 cafe racer

Different discipline.... same Hoon behavior
Pony

Cr500/480 cafe racer

Post by Pony »

Ok heres what I got, what I wanna do and why I wanna do it. I am looking to build a nasty 2 stroke "cafe" style bike. (I hate that term, its been basterdized as much as "bobber") Have seen one guy have something kinda like what im looking to build on here. Main reason I wanna build something like this is

A. it would be badass and
B. It would give me a chance to really mess and experiment with porting, building an expansion chamber, and even getting diffent ratio gears machined for the transmission. Where horsepower and whitenuckle fun are more important than it being super easy to ride and spin good lap times.

I have an 85cr500. I want to take the motor which is very fresh despite needing a clutch cover, and set it aside to put in a beer can later on down the road. I dont wanna waste a perfectly good MX motor :)

I want to find an 83 cr480 to put in this frame because from what I have read, it is the aircooled motor to go with if you want a 5 speed. Aircooled motors look more awesome, getting rid of the radiators is a must, and with this being a street bike I dont see overheating being a problem.

I have a CB750 frontend on it right now for mock up, but I will need to get new forks. I think The stance will handle well, the CB triple clamps move the front end out a bit. If any of you guy see a potenial problems let me know!

The rear section will be built into the frame, not a bolt on. I have a shorter shock off some street bike I might try and run but the twin shock idea i had in the picture is a no go. so the rear shock mount is probably going to get relocated

The tank is also off of the CB750, but will probably use a CB350 tank or something similiar. that tank is way too big looking.

So some questions I have are: What should I do for lights? Could I go a rewind on the 480 like the thread in this section?

What would be the best ignition to use?

Is a 39mm or a 38mm lektron a better choice?

Does anyone have a lead on an 83cr480 motor? I plan on rebuilding it, so locked up ect is a ok.

Has anyone ever cut custom gears for a transmission before? I am a CAD operator for an electrical company by trade and I am wanting to carry this shit over to engineering parts. The idea of figuring out the right ratios to work with my HP and torque curve and then desiging them and handing specs over to a machinist and getting back something that no one has gives me a hard on. The only thing better would be someday being able to machine the parts myself. Boner time.

Does anyone else think this sound like a kinda cool project? Any feed back would be rad.

Pony

Post by Pony »

Ok dudes, after getting on here wide open pumped on my new build idea I can see coming off like a dumbass after doing some research. I apologize for that.

First there is no stator on a CR480/500. I have had many a cases split and dont know why that though even came out. I guess because the XR650 thread in this section my dumbass mind just threw that out while sitting behind my desk at work. So I am going to go ahead and assume that something like those ELINE generators will be the only thing to make some juice. If not inform me. Im here to learn.

After researching the aircooled big bore hondas the 83 CR480 was the best motor I figured I could make it work. Well as I'm sure all of you know putting a left kick, right side countershaft motor in an 85' frame would be getting into the "why the hell did you do that?" category.

so now I am to assume that I need to find an 84 cr500. Remember, I am doing this because I have a bunch of parts I wanna make into something, so I dont really wanna buy an 84 and start from there. It appears that an 84 rear engine mount is different than the 85. I am not scared of doing some mount relocating but wanted to make sure I wasnt still out in left field picking daises like I was with the 480 idea.

When I get paid I have found some new 750 forks I am going to pick up, since the ones pictured are pitted and toast. I have not decided on what to do for the triple clamps but I am leaning towards having a new steering stem machined that will press into the CB clamps but run CR500 bearings and races.

Also in looking for a motor to build I have noticed people parting these things out. is it a bad idea to buy a motor in increments such as, cylinder, head, cases, tranny, lower hardware, ect? I know that that is not uncommon when building an older hard to find HD motor but I guess it might get a little pricey for this project.

Come one dudes, give me some feedback. Im actually a little disapointed I didnt catch some shit for my ignorant first post. Thought you guys were hardasses...
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Might I suggest moving this out of the Dual Sport section where no one meanders and reposting in Steelie rebuilds and overhauls? You'll likely get more traffic.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Pony

Post by Pony »

Thanks for the tip. I'll move it when I get to my work comp tomorrow. I'm trying to figure it out but navigating on my phone is a pain in the dick.