X-Planes Hunt!!!

Different discipline.... same Hoon behavior
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

X-Planes Hunt!!!

Post by AlisoBob »

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/inde ... c=3675&hl=

I want to go do a ride like this one..... lookin' for old X-Plane crash sites out in the desert by Edwards AFB.

Anyone have any ideas on GPS's, or hold to upload these friggin' maps??

Who's in for the first "Banned D/S " ride???

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

thats friggin cool
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:thats friggin cool
X491
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

pstoffers wrote:
Roostius_Maximus wrote:thats friggin cool
X491
X 2!!!
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Might even be worth getting my ass down the DMV and getting the WR registered at last...
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

im in
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

I saw somewhere, I think that site, there is a pic of the plack at the X-15 site.

Ya'll stop in at the Whitehouse Saloon ya hear. :wink:
Hammer

Re: X-Planes Hunt!!!

Post by Hammer »

AlisoBob wrote:http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/inde ... c=3675&hl=

I want to go do a ride like this one..... lookin' for old X-Plane crash sites out in the desert by Edwards AFB.

Anyone have any ideas on GPS's, or hold to upload these friggin' maps??

Who's in for the first "Banned D/S " ride???

I can load the tracks, in my GPS and lead your group. Pick a date.
Craig.
91 CR 500, Ca. plated.
09 CRF 450X
XR 650L
2000 CR 250R
2006 CRF 150F
http://www.hammonconstruction.org/
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Hammer wrote: I can load the tracks, in my GPS and lead your group. Pick a date.
Craig.
Jan 8th, or 22nd , 2011
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

AlisoBob wrote:
Hammer wrote: I can load the tracks, in my GPS and lead your group. Pick a date.
Craig.
Jan 8th, or 22nd , 2011
Either day is will work for me. Maybe you can post it and take a vote, on what works best for who is IN.
Craig.
91 CR 500, Ca. plated.
09 CRF 450X
XR 650L
2000 CR 250R
2006 CRF 150F
http://www.hammonconstruction.org/
"SOLID Bro!!"

Post by "SOLID Bro!!" »

IN Plus 1 (super trucker)

Mr. Pickle's GPS can do that too. He was trying to get my GPS do that but apparently it's too old.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

I just stumbled across this thread. That's the area I usually ride. But not on a D/S. My buds and I attempted finding the X15 without doing research prior and were unsuccessful.

After some digging, this is what I found:

Very little remains at this site. In fact, aside from a small American flag posted in the center of the site, the average person would been totally unaware of the historic nature of their surroundings. Small, scattered pieces are sprinkled there, and finding anything of the aircraft at the site is nearly impossible (however, portions of the X-15A-3 such as an engine access panel, a reaction control rocket for maneuvering in the upper atmosphere, a piece of the horizontal stabilizer, and a section of vertical stabilizer that had the numerals '72' on it, were found as late as 1992). Rumor has it that the left wing has never been found
http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/X- ... h_site.htm

Monument information:
The monument is located at the crash site of 56-6672 on BLM land 1/4 mile west of the Trona Road, four miles north of Hwy 395. The concrete and Inconel X marker is at 35 25' 09"N, 117 35' 48" NAD27. Visitors are welcome and site is protected by State and Federal Laws.

Its right off 395/Trona Road. Make sure to visit Husky Monument while out there!

My last trip out there:

Husky Monument GPS Coordinates: N 35 12. 951' W 117 19. 059'

http://thebannerisup.district37ama.org/ ... rial.shtml

Don't forget Burro Schmidt tunnel...
Tunnel Entrance GPS (unconfirmed): N35 24.625', W117 52.565, 4115' Elevation
http://www.burroschmidttunnel.org/

Lotsa cool shit to see out there. Too bad the Silver Dollar Saloon shut down. Oh, the mammaries...

She was ugly as f*ck but had huge tits!
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

MrPickle

Post by MrPickle »

GPS tracks downloaded and uploaded to my GPS. Count me in for either ride.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

hoofarted wrote:IImage
Conqueoring a Mountain With Pick & Shovel

Most mountains are conquered by climbers ascending their tallest peak. William Henry Schmidt did his conquering by digging, drilling and blasting through the interior of Copper Mountain. Why? Schmidt's precise justification went with him to his grave, but "Because it was there" seems as valid a reason as any.

William Henry Schmidt was born in Woonsocket, Rhode Island in January of 1871. As a young man, he was frail and small of stature. Six of his brothers and sisters died from tuberculosis. He was expected to face the same fate as his siblings unless he moved to the West with its hot, dry climate.

Young Schmidt came to California in 1894, a year before the big gold strike above the Fremont Valley. He prospected around Kern County and eventually established claims in the (then) remote interior of the El Paso Mountains, near Last Chance Canyon. The canyon was known to travelers before Schmidt's day. Some forty years earlier, in February of 1850, William Lewis Manly passed through on his escape from Death Valley. The mountain range, particularly to the east near Garlock or Cow Wells , as it had once been called, was an established mining area.

A successful mining operation depends on several factors. First, there must be a worthwhile body of ore that will allow itself to be separated from the surrounding rock. Secondly, a transportation infrastructure must be available to convey the ore to a processing or distribution facility. Mojave, about 20 miles to the south, was the local transportation hub. The Southern Pacific Railroad had been there since 1876. Closer were the mills of Garlock or those in the young mining town of Randsburg. Schmidt's dilemma was that no roads, only scant trails, were available in the El Pasos. His primary route of travel, like Manly's, was through Last Chance Canyon.

A time to dig

There had to be a better route. This was a time of building, a period of great ideas. Work had already started on a canal across the Isthmus of Panama. There was talk of building a gigantic pipeline from the Owens Valley to bring water to Los Angeles. Schmidt had an idea. He would build a tunnel through Copper Mountain. Flatlands, meaning easy access to Garlock or Mojave, lay on the other side. History remembers that year, 1906, not for the birth of Schmidt's Tunnel, but for the destruction of San Francisco by the Great Quake.

Schmidt apparently had no formal training in either mining or engineering. He had no power tools, although the use of such appliances was well established in the mining industry. He pounded through the solid rock with a pick, four-pound hammer and a hand drill. The broken rock was carried out first on his back, and later in a wheelbarrow. Schmidt would eventually install iron tracks and a mine car to transport debris beyond the growing tunnel.

Schmidt lived a solitary and frugal existence in the high desert. His only companions were a pair of burros, Jack and Jenny. The locals dubbed him Burro Schmidt. His clothes were patched with flour sacks. Tin cans were pressed into service as soles for his shoes. An old cast iron stove, purchased second hand, cooked his meals and heated his one room cabin which was insulated with old magazines. Two of his favorite meals were supposed to have been pancakes and a fish chowder made from sardines, rice and boiled onions.

Short fuses save money

Burro's mining habits differed little from his sartorial and eating habits. He did most of the work by hand. Some explosives were used, but in character with his frugal nature, Schmidt would cut the fuses as short as possible. Once the fuse was lit, he literally would run for his life toward the end of the tunnel and throw himself to the ground to avoid being struck by the force of the blast and debris. Sometimes either his fuses were too short, or he didn't run fast enough, because he would occasionally show up injured at another prospectors shack.

When he could afford it, Schmidt burned kerosene in his lamps. When kerosene became an unobtainable luxury, he used candles, but limited himself to one two-cent candle each day.

Work progressed slowly. At some point in time, the tunnel mutated from a project into an obsession. Schmidt would hire out during the summer months on Kern River ranches in order to generate income to support his digging. In the 1920s, a good road was constructed through lower Last Chance Canyon to the Dutch Cleanser Mine at Cudahay Camp. It connected with the rail line extended from Mojave in 1909. Schmidt was in his fifty's, and for most folks, this would have been reason enough to stop tunneling and get on with mining.

Daylight at last

But reason didn't Burro Schmidt. He continued tunneling until 1938 when daylight was finally visible through the far side of his tunnel. Fifty eight hundred tons of rock had been hollowed out of Copper Mountain.

Sixty seven years old, stooped and gnarled from thirty two years and more than 2000-feet of tunneling, Schmidt never used the tunnel to transport ore. He sold the claim to another miner, Mike Lee, and moved elsewhere the El Pasos. "I never made a damn thing out of it," Schmidt said. He retained ownership in several other claims. The California Journal of Mines and Geology, April 1949, showed Schmidt as the owner of the Copper Basin Group of mines (copper) and the Iron Hat mine (gold).

Burro lived another sixteen years. He died in January of 1954 at the age of 83 and is buried in the Johannesburg Cemetery. Was it Schmidt who conquered the mountain, or the mountain that conquered Schmidt?