95+CR/CRF front wheel onto an '87

Recount your rebuilds here!
DEATH_INC.

95+CR/CRF front wheel onto an '87

Post by DEATH_INC. »

I just did a conversion on My '87 500, fairly straight forward if you have access to a lathe and mill;
Make a pair of these, 25mm od x 16.5mm long on the big bit on one, and 25mm x 13 long for the other, 20 od x 15 (so it pokes through the bearing into the crush tube) on the smaller bit (both), bore 17mm to fit the stock axle.

Then, preferably using a mill cut the brake mount 'lugs' down 5mm

So it looks like this;

That's it, bolt it all together using the longer axle spacer on the brake side, and shorten the lower caliper mount bolt 3-5mm or it'll hit the disk.

The wheel is a full pound lighter, and much easier to get than the stock early ones. It also uses the 6 bolt disk. Plus if you're rich you could use some billet ones from a later model Cr too without having to change the awesome rwu forks. (Up to 2002 ish, I believe they went to a bigger rear axle after that, though you could just make some spacers to fix that too)
Also, while playing around I found the later CR/CRF brake pads fit directly into the stock early caliper and are a bit wider, giving more pad area and a better selection of pads.
:stretcher: