Steelie Frame Question

Recount your rebuilds here!
Big_Mike

Steelie Frame Question

Post by Big_Mike »

Hey fellas what's going on.. I just picked up my 1993 CR 500 about three weeks ago.. After thoroughly looking the bike over test driving it I knew this was the bike for me it was in great condition stored indoors for the last seven years and I had to have it.

Today while loading the bike into the back of my pick up truck I noticed a small little slit on the underbelly of the tube frame just beneath the gear shifter (see pic attached).. My question is, is this anything to be of major concern? There are no cracks or dents any place else on the frame, I assume a little tack weld grinding it down and painting will be the best fix? I would just like your advice as I am really not a "chassis guy"..

FYI I just placed an order for a skid plate on eBay to prevent this from happening again! :)

Cheers
Mike

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster »

Personally, I'd clean it up, weld it, paint it, and ride it.
I've done it a few times over the years with no problems.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Pic is a little unclear but, any frame damage could possibly lead to case damage from stress.
The frame, shifter tip and footpegs are good indicators how much wear a bike truly has. At least that's where I start looking.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Fix it, zap it up and forget about it, but you don't want holes in the frame. They rust up in there anyway, I can't imagine filling it with mud, water, snow, whatever would help slow the rust.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica