school me on steelies

Recount your rebuilds here!
ddewey78

school me on steelies

Post by ddewey78 »

So i have the opportunity, well i commited already, to pick up 2 500's a 90 set up for desert, paddle tire, big tank, mikuni flat slide carb, it's supposed to be a good runner. Im thinking I will make that my dedicated dune bike.

The other is a 92, with an almost new motor, cases and all, v force reeds, new pwk, scotts damper. that will be a hillclimb bike and trail rider.

Theres also 2 extra front rims, with brakes and tires, 2 rear rims with sprockets and rotors. An extra carb, a spare set of forks, a tank, fenders and plastics.Tons of jets and needles, a slide. Lots of literature and manuals, another unmounted scotts, two spare paddles, and an extra set of aftermarket hubs. All for a very reasonable price...kinda a family and friends discount

Soo...What do I need to know about these bikes? Anything in particular I need to look for or be aware of? I have a 01 AF with a 97 motor, so im not totally clueless, but I have limited knowledge of steel 500's. So any little tips or trricks will be greatly appreciated!!

Im sure youve seen me asking around about swing arms and extensions. My plan is to get extensions for both, Ive rode extended bikes at Pismo, and like them, and the 92 will be at the hillclimbs, so i may try the extended classes.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I don't know if it's inherent to ALL 500's but, the '92 WILL flip backwards if power is applied suddenly :lol: Mine did :lol:
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Well the main difference is the comfy seat. :lol:

But both of those motors have the close-ratio trans. You'll be trying to click into 6th on open trails. :D
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I haven't heard of too many people running the mikuni carbs, if works good great but there is a lot more support for the kihiens whether PJ or PKW.
I would also mount the extra steering damper on your dune bike and unless you are just into drag racing I would stay with the stock length swing arm for the duner, power should be very controllable and it should turn better.
I can't comment on much else sounds like you got a great deal for all the stuff you have there.
Congrats on the new family members!
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
ddewey78

Post by ddewey78 »

yea, i will definitely be installing the damper. and yea, it will be mostly a drag bike. I also want to put the flourescent plastics on the dune bike, if i can find them.