Picked up another one

Recount your rebuilds here!
cowboyona426

Picked up another one

Post by cowboyona426 »

Picked this up yesterday for a song:

It's titled as a 98 but as far as I can tell it's all 1990 except the frame so someone must have swapped a 98 frame onto a 90 for some reason. The PO bought it in parts and cleaned/greased all the bearings, had the frame painted, and rebuilt the motor with a Hot Rods crank and new piston on the stock bore but didn't get the trans assembled correctly and it's stuck in gear. I got a great deal, now I just have to decide what to do with it!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

first thing to do is take the crank out before it takes out the cases :wink:
cowboyona426

Post by cowboyona426 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:first thing to do is take the crank out before it takes out the cases :wink:
No love for the Hot Rods crank? I thought I read on the other site that they were OK.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

they come in a nice box, the cans come off and machine out the cases for you
cowboyona426

Post by cowboyona426 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:they come in a nice box, the cans come off and machine out the cases for you
Good to know! This motor has almost no run time on it and I got the OEM crank as well so I can swap it out when I split the cases to sort out the trans.

I need to make a list of all the info I pick up on the forums so I don't keep forgetting crap. Either that or just keep your number on speed dial so when I do forget I can give you a ring :lol:
Last edited by cowboyona426 on March 31st, 2014, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

perfect!
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

yep roosty is on to it my cousins hotrods crank didnt last 10hrs before throwinw the tin stuffer
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
cowboyona426

Post by cowboyona426 »

gregrobo wrote:yep roosty is on to it my cousins hotrods crank didnt last 10hrs before throwinw the tin stuffer
I emailed Hot Rods and they are saying that the ones with the issues were an older production run and that the problem has been fixed on newer parts. I'm hoping to get the motor out and torn down this week, my plan is to make sure the OEM crank is in spec and throw it back in.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

cowboyona426 wrote:
gregrobo wrote:yep roosty is on to it my cousins hotrods crank didnt last 10hrs before throwinw the tin stuffer
I emailed Hot Rods and they are saying that the ones with the issues were an older production run and that the problem has been fixed on newer parts. I'm hoping to get the motor out and torn down this week, my plan is to make sure the OEM crank is in spec and throw it back in.
Did they say they would take any responsibility if the same thing happened?
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
cowboyona426

Post by cowboyona426 »

Kuma wrote:
cowboyona426 wrote:
Negative, only that "the ones that have had the issue are from older production dates." If I find damaged engine cases due to their crank coming apart I'd hope they would at least cover the cost of new cases and replace the crank. This is an acknowledged manufacturing defect, so I believe legally they are required to address it in some way if issues arise. The motor in my bike is low run time so hopefully it hasn't already come apart and buggered the cases if the crank that was installed is one of the bad ones.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

cowboyona426 wrote:
Kuma wrote:
cowboyona426 wrote: I emailed Hot Rods and they are saying that the ones with the issues were an older production run and that the problem has been fixed on newer parts. I'm hoping to get the motor out and torn down this week, my plan is to make sure the OEM crank is in spec and throw it back in.
Negative, only that "the ones that have had the issue are from older production dates." If I find damaged engine cases due to their crank coming apart I'd hope they would at least cover the cost of new cases and replace the crank. This is an acknowledged manufacturing defect, so I believe legally they are required to address it in some way if issues arise. The motor in my bike is low run time so hopefully it hasn't already come apart and buggered the cases if the crank that was installed is one of the bad ones.

they wouldnt even answer my emails so good luck with that
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

been along time since I've been into the bottom end of my engines, knock on wood, but couldn't you pull it down and spot weld the cans on in a few places?
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!