Stupid-good idea...

Recount your rebuilds here!
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Stupid-good idea...

Post by jbsleddin »

Still undecided, but the price was right, so I had to go for it. The way I look at it, this machine cost me absolutely nothing. Traded a bike that was supposed to be for my brother-in-law, but he lost interest and we gave up on it. I pretty much got back what I had into it, and now just traded it off to rid me of the bad memories. One turd for another, even trade. Traded this.... 1983 YZ125 in need of some tlc, NO, I DIDN'T PAINT THE F-ING PLASTICS!
in exchange for this beauty.... 1981 CR450 turd burglar
Ahh yes, #69 in all her glory, I don't know where I'm going with this, I know it won't be a beauty queen since I promised my wife I won't be spending any money on it, it's another "money making opportunity!" Not quite sure HOW I'm going to get it running on a zero dollar budget, anyone want to buy a non-running CR450?
:lol:
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh, and I will cry.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I hate to see a bike parted out but, that one has a lot of original parts that are in demand.
Some guy has an '81 front number plate for $175 on the swapmeet.
The shifter is original too.
If you're gonna get rid of it try the vintage swapmeet.

http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Tharrell wrote:I hate to see a bike parted out but, that one has a lot of original parts that are in demand.

No, I was being sarcastic, and I would NEVER part a bike out, it just doesn't give me a good feeling inside, it's sinful. I plan to (hate to use the word "restore") re-something over time, the wife is already on to my every move. :lol: This can turn out to be a long term back burner project, going to have to LEARN how t have a bit of patience, that's all. :roll:
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

The original CR450 - I see it has the freeflow exhaust mod. ;)

What I find interesting is that in 81, Honda already figured out proper rear suspension angle. Whereas Yamaha had it all wrong.

It'll make a nice runner when shes done.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

jbsleddin wrote:
Tharrell wrote:I hate to see a bike parted out but, that one has a lot of original parts that are in demand.

No, I was being sarcastic, and I would NEVER part a bike out, it just doesn't give me a good feeling inside, it's sinful. I plan to (hate to use the word "restore") re-something over time, the wife is already on to my every move. :lol: This can turn out to be a long term back burner project, going to have to LEARN how t have a bit of patience, that's all. :roll:
I was just suggesting to put the whole bike on there if you wanted to sell it.
The swapmeet is a good source for parts if you're restoring it.
I have to say, when they're restored they're nice looking bikes except for the funky numberplate.
Yes indeed it does have the freeflow exhaust mod
:lol: :lol:
btw-On another subject, did you ever get a ride vid of your '85?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

ive got a good motor sitting on the shelf is yours aint :wink:
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:ive got a good motor sitting on the shelf is yours aint :wink:
Thanks for the offer. Apparently it runs, I cringed at the guy when he told me that he got it running to see if it shifted through all the gears. :shock: That was when I asked him WHERE the exhaust is.... Never had one. :roll:
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Tharrell wrote: btw-On another subject, did you ever get a ride vid of your '85?
Sadly, not yet. Now have a helmet cam, but have yet to get out for a ride since I bought it.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

jbsleddin wrote:
Tharrell wrote: btw-On another subject, did you ever get a ride vid of your '85?
Sadly, not yet. Now have a helmet cam, but have yet to get out for a ride since I bought it.
You need to get it done!
I'm working on mine right now, need to see some '85! :)
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Hoping to get out for a scoot today, we'll see if I can figure out this camera. :lol:
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Hope you figure the cam out and get some ride footage for us.

Ever had a bike apart for 2 years and try to put it back together?
Every time I turn around I have to go on a scavenger hunt.
Now, I;m looking for a solitary cylinder head stud :cry:
What's aggravating is I used sandwich baggies and tried to keep it all together, it's like the friggin thing just grew legs and walked off.
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Tharrell wrote:Hope you figure the cam out and get some ride footage for us.

Ever had a bike apart for 2 years and try to put it back together?
Every time I turn around I have to go on a scavenger hunt.
Now, I;m looking for a solitary cylinder head stud :cry:
What's aggravating is I used sandwich baggies and tried to keep it all together, it's like the friggin thing just grew legs and walked off.
:lol: I know exactly what you mean, you sound a lot like me. Not laughing at your situation, just that it's exactly how this project came about, had this 125 apart for over 2 years and my brother in law no longer wants it, decided to cut my losses and trade it off for another "half-decade" project. My problem is I often start 10 projects before finishing one, and all the parts get whipped everywhere and then shit gets frustrating. I have given myself a self-diagnosis of having ADHD. :lol: :lol: :lol:
BrianPaul69

Post by BrianPaul69 »

I also did the baggie thing with my CR480. Problem was that it turned out to be a back burner project and then I found my 84 CR500 which I thought would be fix a few minor things and ride it. The 84 was in worse shape than the 83 and before I knew it I had baggies full of parts from two bikes. Then I moved.... I never thought to label the baggies 83 and 84 so when I started putting the 84 together I think I used parts from the 83 and when I went to put the 83 together... well you get the idea. Thank God for E-Bay ;)
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I ended up ordering new dowels and head studs with new nuts for my '85.
Just got it back together last sunday.
Now I can't get the friggin cap off the carb to clean it.
I need 4 hands.
BrianPaul69

Post by BrianPaul69 »

Tharrell wrote:I ended up ordering new nuts for my '85. Now I need 4 hands to hang on to it.
The 85's have plenty of power with their old nuts, I can just imagine how much they would have with a new set :lol: Sorry I couldn't help myself..
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Hey with that 81 be careful with the swingarm...I had the 250, same design on the swinger, I was in 8th grade and really torqued the wheel down, it cracked the swingarm the way they designed it with the solid piece for wheel mounting. Cool bike BTW. I'm sure it will look really nice when your done with your under the wife radar sneaky build. Stash it behind your '85 under a blanket and go covert.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Rhino89523 wrote: I'm sure it will look really nice when your done with your under the wife radar sneaky build. Stash it behind your '85 under a blanket and go covert.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm glad someone has confidence in this project working out, I'm still not so sure on this one. We just had our first child last week, and now funds are tighter than ever. Perhaps it will be done in time to be a gift for my son when he graduates. :wink:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Chains too tight....
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

jbsleddin wrote:
Rhino89523 wrote: I'm sure it will look really nice when your done with your under the wife radar sneaky build. Stash it behind your '85 under a blanket and go covert.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm glad someone has confidence in this project working out, I'm still not so sure on this one. We just had our first child last week, and now funds are tighter than ever. Perhaps it will be done in time to be a gift for my son when he graduates. :wink:
Dude we have seen your work, most of the bits are there. I got all afraid after having my first that the cash would get tight and time non existant, it takes a little more planning but I have as much time as ever and the kids just made me work harder to achieve goals. First few months are a little rough but after that you settle in, then have another, but you will be all good.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

AlisoBob wrote:Chains too tight....
:lol: For fuck's sakes, I should have known that was coming.... :lol:
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Rhino89523 wrote:
jbsleddin wrote:
Dude we have seen your work, most of the bits are there. I got all afraid after having my first that the cash would get tight and time non existant, it takes a little more planning but I have as much time as ever and the kids just made me work harder to achieve goals. First few months are a little rough but after that you settle in, then have another, but you will be all good.
Thanks for those words of inspiration. The main problem I will have will be getting the parts without the wife finding out. :wink:
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Changing diapers is the fun part :lol:
BrianPaul69

Post by BrianPaul69 »

The chains on these bikes ( 81-83 CR450 and 480's ) are no joke. Just a smidge too loose and it skips the front sprocket when you let off the gas. It doesn't matter with or without that cheezy chain guard / cover thing and then your welding up the case. If your lucky enough to be out in the woods when it happens its fun pushing it out and back to the truck because the chunked up case usually jams up the clutch rod. I'd much rather a little too tight than too loose any day. Your chain however does look a little on the way too f'n tight side though.
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

BrianPaul69 wrote:
The chains on these bikes ( 81-83 CR450 and 480's ) are no joke. Just a smidge too loose and it skips the front sprocket when you let off the gas. It doesn't matter with or without that cheezy chain guard / cover thing and then your welding up the case. If your lucky enough to be out in the woods when it happens its fun pushing it out and back to the truck because the chunked up case usually jams up the clutch rod. I'd much rather a little too tight than too loose any day. Your chain however does look a little on the way too f'n tight side though.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, the bike is sitting the way it was when I brought it home. I wasn't taking offense to Bob's comment, just being a smart ass. :P It is a nice feeling knowing that someone is on your side though. :D