List your favorites!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rob, My latest, favorite grill toy....

http://www.4thegrill.com/review-onion-s ... rill-brush
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Thats cool! I like the idea.....might have to snag one.
Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot.......
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Went camping all weekend and ate well, got home about 3pm so I hoped on the bike and rode down to the Rib Cookoff and picked up a couple racks for dinner....did some testing first to make sure I got some good ones.

Food looks great!!!
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

PNW Oysters....maybe not its a Korea Recipe

So today, Tacoma Boys (supports local economy and much like a farmers market) had a big delivery on shell-fish and everything went on sale.. Bonus for us arrrrrrr...lets Q.

So this is not common for us red blooded gun toting Americans. I learned this in Korea and from a Korean wife

We ended up picking up a few pounds of Oysters. Wife only grabbed 7 thinking it was gonna push us at least $30 deep but in reality it was only 2 bucks

So for starters, keep them in the fridge....mainly for health reasons.

Get a good beer...No bud light does not qualify.. The one in the pic is 9% Belgian... It will sock you in your squeal hole each drink

You will need this:
Lemons
Kikkoman soy and lemon (Ponzu)
Chopped up fresh garlic
Red Chili paste stuff.....Korean markets will have it. Often called Korean Katsup.....

I fired up the grill with wicked good lump. I knocked out a few packs of brats for the kids till the fire really took hold. Place lump on one side...cook on other:

When fire has set place oysters on grill, lower damper at half and top at 1/4. Fire taken hold? How do I know? It will be hotter than hell under the lid.

Close lid...wait about 20 min or so. Pull lid, put ear next to oysters...if it sounds like its bubblin inside..pull them.

Pop top shell the top shell. Pliers come in handy unless you want the burned hand like the doooood off indiana jones.

What we did is a half and half depending on tastes. One half got copious amounts of garlic, ponzu and lemon

The other half got garlic and Korean Katsup for the spicy kick in the puss

Set them up according to your tastes and put back on grill with additives above:

Cover...let it go 10 min or so. When the concoction is bubblin in its own juices..pull it to cool off...eat at will:

I had some coals left and banged out some chipotle chicken breasts...
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Bourbon Roast Revisited

Yesterday was my daughters birthday so I thought I would make this for her.

Marinade, cheap bourbon works well. Does magical stuff to meat. Soaked for 16 hours:

Rub

Ready for rub, rubbed and grill time!

Used different lump, had it already going..spread embers out and made bed for pecan log

Cranked vents on low with just enough to pull some air in without flare ups. Yes you can smoke on a plain jane weber...

After two hours and a fresh baste:

Time to rest....

Banged out some chicken, wife likes chicken over beef.

First carve....this is a really good do. Rub/marinade combo is hard to beat...smells and tastes bitchin!
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Christmas Ham

So I asked the family what they wanted for Christmas dinner this year. First thing I hear, "Dad, we're a bit turkey'ed out." I threw Ham out there and everyone seemed to like the idea.

The Commissary on base had crap hams that were flipping expensive!!! So I trucked on down to Here:
http://stewartsmeatmarket.com/
I picked up a 20 pound no-BS ham complete with instructions on how to cook it. Quite different! Recommended cooking at 240 for 9 hours in the butchers paper. Never done it that way before. It was hit with smoke and a 40% salt brine. Was worried it might be too salty...not so!

Almost ready for glaze.....

Ready to carve after resting. I hit it with a light glaze from my previous ham recipe posted a few pages back and smothered with orange marmalade....YUM!

Ready to eat!

From here on out my Hams will be bought from a butcher...tasted really good!
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Hoon Steak

Also known as Angus Cowboy Steak. Picked these babies up for tomorrow night. Rubbed em down and tossed em back in fridge..

Put fork in there for scale:

Built an 07 CR250 motor today, fired up the lump and threw the steaks down...one finished early so I did not get a chance to get a pic of it--came out flippin awesome. I threw them right over the coals to get a light sear and moved them to the back of the grill. Sprinkled a bit more rub on and let it go.

These things were thick!!! I wanted to cook them a bit slower, but were done in about an hour 15'ish. Pulled off the grates at 140 degrees, wrapped in foil to let them rest. Resting with a large cut of meat is important IMO and it allows the temp to go up another 10 degree's pushing it to 150, which is perfect for beef--unless you like it full on dead. It also allows the juices to flow back into the meat. I like then tender and juicy. Take your time......

After resting, honestly this would be an excellent cut while camping and riding. It will vanquish the most determined appetite. Big ole meat lollipop... ;D

Flavor was awesome!!!!! Nice smoke ring--was unable to finish it all. Its lunch today.

Wife doesn't do beef, threw some peppers down and chicken with remaining wood.

The guy who ate the other one, his folks harvest beef. I think I just scored major points! Might get a deal on half a cow.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

New Years Chow

This will a multiple part post. Stay with me....

Brisket! This is my second shot at this. First time I did it, followed everything to the letter and it was tougher than hell. I was pissed off for days. Kids said it tasted very good--just tough.

You will need a 9-12 pound brisket:

Mustard Slather:
1/2 Cup of Prepared Mustard
1/4 Cup of Good Beer
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar

**Use whisk to mix and set aside.

Rub:
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 Cup of Dark Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/3 Cup Garlic Salt
1/4 Cup Celery Salt
1/4 Cup Onion Salt
1/2 Cup Paprika
3 Tablespoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons "Fresh" ground Pepper
1 Tablespoon Lemon Pepper
2 Teaspoons Ground Sage
1 Teaspoon ground Chipotle Powder
1/2 Teaspoon ground Thyme

**Mix this all up good. You wont use it all or even close, bag up the rest in the ziplock and put it in the freezer.

Ready for the meat:

Clean up your brisket with water and pat dry. Slather mustard mix on with brush.

Dust the meat down with rub (still working on this one--you get the idea):

Let it set overnight. Wrap it up and toss in fridge.

I fired up the smoker the next morning with some pecan. Held it steady at 200 - 230 for roughly 1.5 hours per pound.

Since these were small brisket's....nothing else available. Around 150-160 degree's internal temp and with a good bark I foiled and tolled in the oven set at 230. When they hit 185-190 I pulled them, kept in foil, wrapped in a towel and let them rest on the washer for about 30-40 minutes.

Cut against the grain of the meat..douched a little sauce on them--fuggin awesome!!!!!!

After I cut them up and sauced, I threw em back on the smoker for added taste. YUM!

Rob's Chicken Abomination

Wassamatter? Tired of beef? Check this out! What you need:

6 Chicken Breasts
6 Fresh Anaheim Chili's
Thick Cut Bacon
White Onion
Cream Cheese
toothpicks

My assembly line:

Clean the breasts and chili's up. Lop the stems off the peppers and slice a length-ways gap in them and de-vein. Pack the pepper fulla cream cheese and white onion. I sprinkled it with garlic powder also.

Take breast and with a sharp knife, butterfly it so it looks like a Diesel Flannel wearing bull dikes wet dream.

Stuff the pepper into the chicken and wrap tight with bacon using toothpicks. Use care, these things are as slippery as a mayonnaise sammich in Snookies rat claws. Take your time.

I plan on slow cooking these on the far back of the pit for smoke then moving to the weber to finish it off....

Way back on the pit for smoke and slooooow cook:

After about an hour, I tossed them ont he weber to finish them off (higher temp).

Once the breast hit 160, I pulled them and let em cool off. Hot Cream Cheese will melt your face off...give it a bit...

Smoked Portobello's
I used about 3 portobello's for this, cut them up and wash. Then mix **will post exact recipe later** Worchestshire sauce, pepper, greek seasoning, pepper, garlic, olive oil...mix and marinade mushrooms in it for about.

Made a tray out of foil, tossed them on the back of the smoker with excess marinade. Smoke till tender..

Ranch Taters

No, not dripping with ranch. Easy, crisp spicy taters.

I still had a hot fire on the weber, so I utilized this for cooking plus some smoke:

Get a couple of Russets, cut them up. Drizzle a olive oil, chili powder, pepper and kosher salt mix...toss em on the fire till tender...YUM!

Part of the food line... Lots of leftovers. 8-)
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Man, you need your own cooking show.
Everything you cook looks awesome.
It's 5am here and I'm starving now. :)
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Tharrell wrote:Man, you need your own cooking show.
Yea you do.......
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

I appreciate it! :cool: I picked this up last night:
http://www.amazon.com/Smokin-Myron-Mixo ... 0345528530

I think he's a cocky fuck face, but knows his stuff--learned a thing or two and some new do's.

Next is a Chicken Chicken Chicken, 18 LBS brisket, apple crunches....coming soon. Need to buy apple/pecan splits. :wink:
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Somebody ought to send this stuff to Weber, I'm sure they'd hire you as a spokeman.
Me, I can't do shit with a charcoal grill, no patience.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

you are the man rosco
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I think I gain weight just reading this thread :wink:
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Smoked Wings

I got a hankering to do some wings. I went on down to the Commissary and picked up a big bag of Tastey Bird wings.

Brought them home, tossed em in a colander and cleaned them up under water. Drip/pat dry. Since the weber is not big enough I had 3 rounds. I laid some foil down and poked holes in in it so fluids can drain while cooking.

Dusted the wings down with a chicken rub and threw em on. I used hardwood lump and black cherry. Cherry smells damn good when using it to smoke with and it pushes a mild sweet smoke into the meat--bonus!

**Note** I had my vents down a bit to keep the fire a bit on the low side temp wise.

When they get tender and fluids are running clear, slap copious amounts of sauce on. Mine was a spicey honey. It compliments the cherry smoke. Sweet and with a bite. Since this had sugar in it, I let it go a smidge longer on the grill to set in.

Once done: grab foil ends and yank em off:

This was incredibly easy. My family is hard to impress with how much I BBQ. This was an instant hit. Grab a tall one and enjoy! 8-)
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

For those that would like to try their hand at using wood chips or splits. This is a guide on what wood compliments what meat. I use this all the time. Copied from 'The Smoke Ring."

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning.

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

I am really starting to favor the fruit woods like Pecan, Cherry and Apple. Really pushes a great taste into the meat.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

The Mogollon Monster

This is a spin off of MM's Pork Tenderloin. Since I did not originally come up with it. I dubbed it with a rather fitting name. The works:

The Rub, its optional, but it give a very nice bite. It would be prime if you were not using bacon. Use to suit your taste, it has brown sugar, it will caramelize and turn dark to form a bark and seal things up.

1 Cup packed golden brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder (I used fresh New Mexico Chili Powder)
2 Tablespoons Dry Mustard (Colemans is the cats azz)
2 Tablespoons Onion Powder
2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoons Cayenne Pepper Powder (Oh yeah!)
2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
2 Tablespoons Fresh cracked pepper out of a mill

This yields around 3 cups. I did a double do. Mix it all up:

Will keep indefinitely in a airtight container in freezer.

The Innerds: I used 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped, 1/4 white onion chopped, hand fulla little smokies--chopped, 2 freshest Jalapenos I could find--diced up and a brick of cream cheese. You can add too or take away to suit your tastes..

Throw it all in a pan with some olive oil and saute it up.

When done, discard oil and throw mix in a bowl, drop the cream cheese in and mix it up.

Trim fat off tenderloin and membrane. Butterfly it out with a sharp knife--take your time. Put mix int eh middle and put bacon on the ends to plug it. Close it up--I used butcher sting (optional).

Make the bacon weave:

Roll it all up and dust it down if you would like. I used a foil pan:

Fire up the grill, heat on low, throw it on ad cook with indirect heat with hardwood lump and black cherry/sugar maple chips.

Sweet smoke.....

You can see the fat rendering down into pan:

The fat drippings got to be so much, I had to transplant to another pan. I added some apple juice in the pan and foiled--steam it a bit till finished.

Pulled it at 150, foiled it wrapped in a towel and let the fantastic 4 do the rest:

Done:
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Granny Smith Sparta Kick you the in face Apples

6 Apple's, peeled, sliced up and cored
3/4 Cup Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 stick unsalted Butter

Get a oven pan, butter it up and throw apples in:

In a food processor, mix all ingredients and pulse till it looks like crumbs, add/mix on apples and throw in the oven set at 350

Cook till apples are tender:

Serve it hot with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream for the TKO!
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Apple/Bacon Chicken Breasts

I honestly think my weber has not cooled down this long weekend. I've been hitting hit pretty hard, taking a break after this to let my arteries return to normal.

What you need:
1) My rub
2) 6-7 Pieces of thick cut bacon fully cooked (more if your like, cut/break it up)
3) 1.2 Golden Delicious Apples (cored, skinned and chopped)
4)Sprayer and some pure apple juice

Rub:
2/3 Cups Chili Powder (I used New Mexico fresh...)
1/2 Cup Sugar
4 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
4 Tablespoons Onion Powder
4 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Cayenne powder
Healthy dose of Chipotle Powder
Rosemary to meet your needs

Mix this all up. It will keep forever in the freezer.

Make the innerd mix:
Cook bacon, use paper towel to sop up grease

Core, skin and chop up the freshest Golden Delicious Apples, chop up bacon and mix together:

Clean breasts with water and remove fat--pat dry. With the sharpest knife you have, carve a deep cavity in breast. Do NOT cut through the sides.... Be careful. Stuff em, use toothpick to sew up shut:

Rub em down good! put in fridge and let the rub work for a bit:

Throw it on the grill, smoke with fruit wood. Spray with apple juice every 15 min till done:

Some breast slivers that needed to be cooked--used left over bacon and wrapped em.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Robs Meat Salad

A few weeks ago my wife made homemade pizza. The kids said it was awesome but was gone in zero flat. I pondered about making my first one. But with that is an issue, my 6 foot tall 120 pound son that is the destroyer of food--he packs it in.

So I grabbed a few things from the market to make a pizza. [highlight]The twist...slow the boy down in his tracks. [/highlight]Then enjoy leftovers. I pulled a recipe for pizza crust off the net and proceeded.

This had pepperjack and parmesan, spicy sausage, hamburger meat with BBQ rub, canadian bacon, onions, garlic, pepperoni, bell pepper, jalapenos, olives, mushrooms....the list goes on. I pre-cooked meat.

Fun build, my oldest daughter helped out.

Finished product came out friggen awesome!!! Slight smoke tatse and good crust. Smoke gave the melted cheese a slight dark tint. Sorry no finished pics. it fed the whole family and then some. 8-)
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

The Barrel and Pulled Pork

Loving my barrel! Where else can you bang pulled pork out in under 6 hours? It was windy and a cool 40 degrees out. Cooked like a champ!I used my rub on two small butt and a store bought one I've heard a lot about oh the last one. All three butts were between 4-5 pounds.

Store bought rub...smelled great and barked up real nice!

My Rub, its on the first page I think on how to make it.

On the hooks, the firebox loaded with KB and a few chunks of Hickory.

Getting close to 160..

Butt bed for last stretch of cooking--up to 200. Mayan sweet onions and garlic slivers.

Flanked by brats. Poured a good amount of 9% beer in to help steam it. Also went fat side down since its closer to fire.

Back on till 200..

Done...

My sauce... Loaded with everything awesome.

Great cook! I had to finish up some of the brats. Most of them cooked.

I got this new gadget. Red Thermapen, accurate within 1 degree, give you a temp in under 3 seconds and doesn't leave a gapping hole in the meat.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Plain Jane Pork Tenderloin

I had this Tenderloin sitting the freezer vacuum packed, decided to Q it up last night. Rubbed it down the night before. Cranked the weber up and ran bottom vent 1/4 and top vent 1/2 open. I used lump and a chunk of cherry.

Almost..

Pushed to 165, foiled with smidge of brown sugar, pat of butter and some honey.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Pit Barrel Ribs

Both Baby Back and St Louis style. I prefer Baby Backs, more meat and easier to prep. Trim a little fat off and rip the membrane off the back side..done! St Louis take a bit longer to trim up and such. Most people chuck the trimmings, I trimmed fat off them, rubbed and tossed on weber.

Rubs I used was Williams Texas Rib Tickler on St Louis cuts and my own concoction on baby backs for a test run.

Sauce, weber hickory smoke BBQ sauce, mixed with dried onions,  and "several" healthy squirts of Smack my @ss and call me Sally Hot Sauce (700K scoville units). Little after burn that builds.

Fuel: Kingsford Briquettes and two good chunks of Cherry for sweet tastes.

Ready..

Trimmings from weber..

Done..came out...unreal! Best ribs I have done. Moist, sweet with a burn to follow.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Damn :)
How the hell do you pass the physical cooking like that?
I had a hard enough time back in the day (AF 70's) and back then it was only 1.5 miles in 12 minutes.
Despite rumor, chow hall food was pretty good and plenty of it.
Geez, I couldn't throw a leg over a bike today if I hung around your place!
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Tharrell wrote:Damn :)
How the hell do you pass the physical cooking like that?
I had a hard enough time back in the day (AF 70's) and back then it was only 1.5 miles in 12 minutes.
Despite rumor, chow hall food was pretty good and plenty of it.
Geez, I couldn't throw a leg over a bike today if I hung around your place!
I dont play around during the week. My gym workouts are are not easy and generally go 2-3 hours a day 5-6 times a week. Im usually sweating like a whore in church. Weights and lots of cardio. I get one cheater day....I BBQ then. When its all said and done, my metabolism burns it off.

My last PT test was a 82, I couldn't do push ups because my thumb was still healing (broke it). If I could've of done them I would of been in the 90's easily which is an excellent. At almost 41, I can still crank out 11-12 min 1.5 milers, 50 crunches in a min and 48 pushup's in a min and a 36.5 in waist. Thats our test now, fail and its your ass. Fail enough they throw you out (4 times). I only have one more test before I retire. :wink: