Darwin pony expess Rnd I In Australia mate...

Who beat who?

asteroid500

Darwin pony expess Rnd I In Australia mate...

Post by asteroid500 »

by then, having said that the little 1 didnt do to bad hey.... :DWell on Friday i recieved the news that the 1st rnd of the NT (Northern Territory-in Australia) Pony express races was on.
There usualy held later in the yr, OCT,NOV,DEC, this is also our Monsoonal period localy know as the "wet".
It was brought forward this yr as our wet seasonal weather is about 36 - 45 degrees C & an average humidity of 85 - 95%...it's hot & hard on the bikes & body, comprising only the 3rnd's.

Rnd 1 was held an hr south of Darwin (you cant go any further north any how) in the township of Adelaide river, it was as dry as a nun's naughty (hence our curent season.."the dry") & the bull dust was thick as.
In this picture theres a car only 4mtr in front & this is 500mtr from the corse.

The pony express (were did they get that name from)is run with 2 fields of 3 classes,
pony express, were by you do a lap of the corse or 2, your choice then when your done you meet at the sanctioned position & tag your team mate who then goes on his way to do the same thing...3 grades in all A B &C

Then theres the iron man class, were by you complete the corse on your own, grades A B &C
The race is help over a 3hr period + a lad at the end of the sanctiond time...3hrs.
The classes are started @ 1min intervals with A's first B's 2nd & C's last.
In the iron man class there started as A's 1st B & C's together as most of us 3hr riders are deemed to be of a very good standard & fitness levels.

The starts are funny, we didnt have to do this in Katurine last month, but in the Darwin events you have to be standing behind your bike, both hands on the rear mud guard, then when the green flag is droped, you've got to jump onto your bike start it & away you go.

Its hard work but i get alot of enjoyment out of it, it's all about the challenge

feebee's away till the end of the month so my 11yr old girl was my pit crew/fuely/admin for the day & she did a cracker of a job..thanks bubalouie!

Milling around while the A graders set off, this is a flood plain, in the wet this is 1-1.5mtr under water full of crocs & barramundi
Some old work mates from the bike shop days, Mat, Hobbit, & my self.

Ok called to line up for the start.

Bang a hole shot..... :lol:

Well i didnt finish the 2nd hour blew both my fork seals on my 4th lap..i forgot to mention that the distance per lap is anything from, 20-38km a loop, todays corse was the single most hardest race i have ever done....most of the track was rocks the size of footballs that only got bigger the further up the hills you went, 10 hills of over 45 degees rake on them & only 1 lousey flood plain to open her up & get a rest on...that was only about 2km long.

Blisters were kept in check today with the Rocky Bellboa wraping...it works, only got a blister on the clutch thumb. :(

Well i'll post ya on the next rnd....my photograph will be back
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)