2009 Elsinore GP

Who beat who?

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

2009 Elsinore GP

Post by AlisoBob »

WOOO HOOO!!!!! Great times.

Track was great.... Fast hardpack, loose sand washes... uphill, down hill..... some jumps.... some really rocky sections... a fairly deep water crossing... and long asphalt stretches hooking everything together!

Banned was represented by myself, Solid ( Eric), Pecker (Ryan), Algave ( Alberto), Redrocket ( Stiles), and Braxton.

Eric had the ride of the day!!! He got really sick awhile back ( Doctors never really did figure out WTF was going on.... ) Anyways.. its taken this long for Eric to get both his stregnth and stamina back. He had both today and rode a great (fast) race!

Pecker hauled ass with his new RG3 suspension.

Stiles is going to have an interesting report. He rode twice today. Once on his 450F, once on his S/H 500A/F. Same track, same conditions... "back to back" rides.

Mike is a good enough rider to tell us the nuances of both bikes under IDENTICAL conditions. During my race with Mike, he pulled over to take a piss or something... I passed him.... moments later...he overtook me again. That sucked!

Al really enjoied himself, glad you came out today Al!!

I rode ok... nothing spectular.... didnt crash out... which was good.

I think Al took some photos... I'm sure he'll post them up....

Good times!!!!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:cool:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

very :cool:
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
teamdns

Post by teamdns »

what a blast, it was a well organized event.....the riding had a little bit of everything...i got soaked everytime at the lake crossing and stalled it out on the 3rd lap but was able to get going shortly after....got back to the truck and notices the pounding my chest took for not having a roost shield. i guess im too fat to have both a leatt brace and chest protector on at the same time.

My son is racing the 8:30am 85cc for the sunday (todays) round....so solid and i decided to enter the 7:30am unclassified again for sundays round!!

I think stiles might be up for a second round as well from what Bob told me.

Post by redrocket190 »

No third race this a.m. as I want to do brazilian jiu-jitsu with my daughter who came to the races yesterday.

My overall impression was that the great event that is the Elsinore GP is back. I missed the drag down Main Street and hope that they can work some of the original fire road back in, but all in all this has regained "must do" status.

Thanks to Chuck Ivec for loaning me his 2006 CRF450R as a Plan B because it was needed because the CR500R was DOA. The CRF was easier to ride in the corners, better on the bumps because he has invested some coin on suspension setup (Factory Connection), and simply much slower down the straights (courage allowing).

The Unclassified race was a blast. Team Banned started on the same row and got flagged away together at the front of a 3-row pack. The layoff since March meant I was all enthusiasm and no stamina, so errors were many. Lap 1 I got lost in the weeds of the river bed following the pack that missed the markers. Lap 2 I got a soft front brake on asphalt and locked the rear trying to compensate, stalled and was re-starting when Bob passed. He then treated me to a major roost fest on the way back to the stadium before I squeezed past.

Between races, Bob says "it's the coil" so we transplant his to my bike. Ryan gets some wire from his truck and we get it all connected up. The Service Honda starts up 2-3 kicks later and you can't beat the grin off my face with a stick. Thank you, thank you.

So I am out in the 40+ race, Novice class. This is a sand-bagger heaven so I am just planning to be as fast and consistent as possible. Two kick start means I am away deep in the pack. First hairpin turn I dive for the inside and run smack into someone toppling over. Hit the dirt but keep clutch in and engine running. The next straight is flat in 5th and I am passing lots of four strokes with ease - love it! The CR500R is much faster if you can keep it open. My front suspension is still pretty much stock 250X so on the bumps I am getting beaten up a bit. The CR500R is simply much more fun although probably more tiring to ride for my skill level.

I settle into a rhythm which is to be as brave as possible on the fast bits, close on a bunch of riders and then muscle past in the slower sand sections or turns. Hit another guy who stalls in the sand and consequently do the same. Short folks, tall bikes and deep sand don't mix! At the end I am experimenting with short-shifting to the max and ride most everything in 3rd and above. I have a new Steahly flywheel weight and I think with more attention to getting the bike into a corner rut, really pushing it over and rolling the throttle out really helped improve my corner speed.

4 laps later I am back to the truck. Drenched from the water crossing where I seemed to be able to choose the perfect speed for a chest-high bow wave. Ryan and Eric et al. heave the bikes into the truck which is good as I am have no feeling left in my body.

Someone on Facebook said at my age I should be taking long walks with the dog, but hell this stuff keeps you alive!
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Results...
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1364170

Unclassified
Braxton 41/97 28m 35s

Eric 42/97 28m 37s

Ryan 53/97 29m 46s

Michael 55/97 30m 42s

Bob 63/97 31m 38s

40+
Michael 67/146 39m 05s
15th in class
Last edited by redrocket190 on November 8th, 2009, 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

teamdns wrote:...got back to the truck and notices the pounding my chest took for not having a roost shield.
That aint no lie, right there....

:shock:
Algava

Post by Algava »

Soooo much fun, I'm so glad I went.
The track was perfect for a 500, wide open most of the time, I wish I was better geared for speed.I will definetely do it again.
It was really cool to be out there with all of you, I have a few pics and will post them as soon as I find the camera.
For some reason my time is not on the results page(Alberto Gava V260), probably because I registered 1 hr before the event...but stilll, I will investigate.
I'm looking forward to our next group ride, thanks Bob for calling me the day before, I wasn't going to go.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

redrocket190 wrote: Someone on Facebook said at my age I should be taking long walks with the dog, but hell this stuff keeps you alive!
:clink:

:headbang:

In Mikes "40+" race it should be noted that his increased elapased time was due to riding a 4 lapper, not a 3 lap like the previous one.

:woot: :woot:

( Sorry for the roost........)

:whistle:
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Event photos to be posted later tonight...

http://www.candcracephotos.com/
http://www.prontopics.com/
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

redrocket190 wrote:
There are some very cool old photos here!!!!!!!
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Last edited by redrocket190 on November 9th, 2009, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
Algava

Post by Algava »

Here's a few pictures of the group.

Problems starting the bike
even after a session of start kicks by big Bob
it seems the coil was the problem
"SOLID Bro!!"

Post by "SOLID Bro!!" »

Well first of all I want to thank everybody for the great time.
This GP smokes Adalanto, Shorter track wise but it wasn't all whooped out.

Every corner provided a different riding adventure.

The best for me was going under the bridge in a wash on the first lap.

You know the videos that you see that one jackass makes a wrong turn and the rest of the idiots follow.

Well I was the first idiot. Under the bridge I see this rider to my left so I follow not knowing I was supposed to go up the concrete side at approx 45%
if not more.

So I see this marker at the top of the concrete monster so I start clutching around the first "lost" rider but here comes the freight train of riders one after another after another. as soon as the parade passed and they were clearly packed in I made a run for it.

Man this thing was steep I went at it straight on as I approached about half way the front end started to climb up so I rolled off the throttle the the front still keeps coming up Thankfully this thing will keep running at 4rpm and I make the top turn left and hit this section that was at least 1/4 mile long pinned in 6th gear tucked and hauling ass.

The Elsinore sidewalks were the most whooped part of the track for the first race. Everything else was super fast, loose, rocks, gravel, water, streets driveway approaches, you name it it was there.

Ryan ( under some arm twisting ) made me go back today (Sunday)
The fog was thicker than anything I have seen in a while.

As Ryan and I sit on the start line I said to him this will work to our advantage. Little did I realize that by the water crossing all the tear offs were gone and my finger is NOT the best windshield wiper in the world.

You couldn't see shit. go 100 yards and have to wipe the goggles it really did suck, so It was slow going until the fog lifted.

Over all it was a great time.

Eddie was a champ today Started dead last what seemed to be 20 to 25 riders does three laps and pulls out a 8th place finish!

Nice job for the first time being let loose on a full size track and no short cuts for the kids.

Here is a link to the local paper
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stor ... 03fd0.html
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

:cool:
redrocket190 wrote: Someone on Facebook said at my age I should be taking long walks with the dog, but hell this stuff keeps you alive!
Just tell them "Ya but i'm going to live 10 years longer than you." :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

looks like a nice ride :cool:
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

From what I'm reading @ www.proride.com it was a lot better than last year.
"SOLID Bro!!"

Post by "SOLID Bro!!" »

Here's the "jump" If you rode it you know which one.

It's a step up to land flat on asphalt and straight to about a 10 foot 45% angle with a table approx 80 feet long.

About minute 1 is the crash.

teamdns

Post by teamdns »

[quote=""SOLID Bro!!""]Eddie was a champ today Started dead last what seemed to be 20 to 25 riders does three laps and pulls out a 8th place finish!

Nice job for the first time being let loose on a full size track and no short cuts for the kids.

[/quote]

After his race!

Post by redrocket190 »

redrocket190 wrote:Event photos to be posted later tonight...

http://www.prontopics.com/
...pics are up, but I don't see any hoons.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

At Pronto pics, I'm in photo #40

Last edited by AlisoBob on November 11th, 2009, 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Nice Bob and you're catching a little air too. :cool:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

redrocket190 wrote: ...pics are up, but I don't see any hoons.
Mike, your all over the 40+ race...

136 ( GREAT shot coming out of the stream...)

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Hellbear wrote:Nice Bob and you're catching a little air too. :cool:
Its not the air I have trouble with.... its the landing....

Adelanto GP 2009
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

everytime I look at that pic, I can hear a crunch!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80