Kurt Caselli

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
sabreguy

Kurt Caselli

Post by sabreguy »

kurt Caselli of off road racing fame has been killed last night while racing in the Baja 1000 from a serious head injury. Sounds like he ran into a bboby trap of some sort that was out on the racing line.
:cry:

From Cycle news:

By Cycle News Staff | 11/15/2013 11:27 PM
Kurt Caselli was killed while competing in the Baja 1000. Photography by Kit Palmer

Off-road star Kurt Caselli died today at the age of 30.

AMA Hare & Hound Champion Kurt Caselli succumbed to the injuries he suffered while competing in the SCORE Tecate Baja 1000 in Baja California, Mexico, earlier today, November 15. Caselli was 30 years old.

Information regarding the incident is still somewhat vague, but it’s been widely reported that the factory-backed KTM rider hit a man-made “booby trap” at mile marker 796 (of the 883.1-mile race) while leading and while involved in a close battle with the eventual winning JCR Honda Team. Caselli was reportedly flown to a hospital in Ensenada with major head injuries. KTM’s second entry reportedly withdrew from the race after the accident.

No official word has been released from the KTM team or from SCORE officials.

Caselli is widely regarded as one of the best off-road racers in the world. A multi-time AMA National Hare & Hound Champion, WORCS Champion and many-time ISDE gold medalist, the Californian was just beginning a new career in rally racing as a member of the KTM team. In June of this year, Caselli won the Desafio Ruta 40 Rally in Argentina – in what was only his second international rally since making his debut in the Dakar Rally at the end of 2012. Caselli won two stages of the Dakar Rally en route to finishing 31st overall in his debut in the race generally regarded as the most difficult off-road race in the world.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Looks like he may not have died from a man made booby trap......sad either way

From jalopnik

KTM factory motorcycle racer Kurt Caselli was killed last night as he was racing this year's running of the Baja 1000. It's not immediately … Read…

Kurt Caselli, the motorcycle racer who was tragically killed last night in an accident during the Baja 1000, was not killed by a booby-trap set along the course, according to competitor for Kawasaki Taylor Robert. Reports are still unclear, but this looks like one of the few from someone actually there.

Caselli was originally reported by a number of sources, including the KTM Bicycle team, to have been killed by an obstacle in the course, commonly set up by locals to encourage high-flying jumps or just some tricky driving. While the bicycle team obviously isn't the official team of the Baja 1000 entry, it was as close as KTM got to an official statement. As of this writing, KTM still hasn't said anything, though Score International, the organizer of the race, acknowledged Caselli's death in an official statement with no mention of cause.

As with any accident, early reports can be inaccurate, and the original post about Caselli's death has been updated continuously to reflect that.

Robert's full statement is below:

I want to make something very clear and stop the rumors. Kurt Caselli did not crash because of a man made booby trap, a spectator, or any other nonsense that people are saying about his accident. My teammate Ricky Brabec was the fist person to Kurt which was in a very secluded area with no Spectators. Ivan Ramirez showed up shortly after Ricky. They decided Ricky would go get help while Ivan stayed with Kurt. Even though the news didn't come out until the night time the accident happened while there was still daylight, and didn't have anything to do with racing at night. This was merely a racing accident and had nothing to do with booby traps, spectators, or another vehicle so please stop spreading rumors.

While the cause of his death may not matter much in the long run, Caselli's life did matter. He leaves behind a family, a fiance, a team, and an incredible career. I'm sure he will be sorely missed by all that knew him.

UPDATE: KTM, Caselli's racing team, has finally come out with a statement, explaining that the crash was caused by a collision with a small animal. The full statement is below:

KTM reports with great sadness that American KTM factory rider Kurt Caselli died as the result of injuries sustained in a crash while competing in the SCORE/Baja 1000 this weekend.

Kurt, part of the Factory FMF/Bonanza Plumbing/KTM team competing in this desert race, was in a leading position when he suffered a crash that resulted in severe head trauma. He died of his injuries in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico.

The team, who have now recovered Kurt's bike discovered traces on the machine that indicate he had collided with some small animal, which apparently caused the crash.

Kurt, 30, was an accomplished American offroad and desert rider but he had also made a successful transition to international rallies for the KTM Factory Team. He was admired and respected in racing circles for his skill, natural talent and exemplary sportsmanship far beyond the borders of his home country. While Kurt was one of the most popular figures on the KTM team, he was also an unmatched role model for young riders and fans.

Passionate about his sport, he had multiple consecutive championships in WORCS and National Hare and Hound racing and had been the lead rider for the USA International Six Days Enduro team for the past ten years. In January 2013, Kurt was drafted into the official KTM Rally team to ride in the Dakar Rally, replacing his friend and factory teammate Marc Coma, who was injured. Kurt’s debut ride in the 2013 Dakar Rally was impressive. He was subsequently given a permanent spot on the KTM Rally team and was preparing to contest the Dakar 2014 and the FIM World Cross Country Rallies Championship in the coming season.

Pit Beirer, Head of KTM Motorsports: “Today we lost a KTM hero in the worst possible circumstances. We are shocked and saddened by this tragic news and our thoughts and deepest condolences go out to Kurt’s family. Kurt was much more than a very talented rider; he was also an exceptional team player. He represented and lived by the values and a passion for racing that lies at the very core of KTM. Our sport has lost more than a great rider; we have also lost an excellent ambassador for offroad racing.”

Jon-Erik Burleson, President of KTM North America: ”We at KTM can't put into context the loss everyone in the motorcycling community is experiencing. Beyond his racing successes and talent as a rider, Kurt was above all else a core member of our greater off-road family that simply can't be replaced. Kurt inspired the KTM family to keep pushing the limits of racing. He was the driving force behind our renewed efforts in Baja, Hare & Hound and the International Six Days Enduro. His work ethic, attitude and graciousness will never be matched.”

Antti Kallonen, Factory FMF/KTM Team Manager: “The loss of Kurt is immense to the sport, our team and to our family. Kurt has been on KTM his entire professional career. Even in the early years he brought something special to the off-road environment by bringing a leadership role like no other. He had the uncanny ability to bring a team together for efforts big and small. Professional motorcycle racing is always considered an individual sport, but Kurt made it a team sport. Whenever there was an opportunity to lead, help, inspire, advise or coach Kurt went into it like he went into a race—completely prepared, completely confident and knowing he could win. Kurt was the most galvanizing force I’ve ever seen. Those who knew him were lucky. Those of us who got to work with him were blessed”.

Kurt Caselli will be deeply missed by the entire KTM family, his teammates, his fellow competitors and by his fans all over the world. At this time of acute sadness, the KTM management and the entire KTM international family extend their heartfelt condolences to the Caselli family.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Big time bummer either way but I'm glad it wasn't a booby trap.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

Crazy!!!! Was bummed when I had heard it !!

I'm sure we've all had close calls with animals riding in the country side???

I know I've had mine????
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Looks like they are saying it was a cow or a horse now, I've almost hit deers, bears, wild horses, antelope and cows....luckly I'm about 1/16 the speed of Kurt so I think I might have made it, except the bear maybe, if I had hit that thing and fallen off it probably would have eaten me.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica