Dune Buggy Questions

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
freeride588

Dune Buggy Questions

Post by freeride588 »

Hey guys hows it going i was looking at a buggy on craigslist and was wondering if you guys thought it was a good deal. I got him down to $2200. It has a 4 lug rear end.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/rv ... 44796.html
Kevin
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

It's a cool deal, the Bus trans is worth $500 every day of the week and a running 2180 with dual carbs should bring the remainder making everything else essentually free. It's old school I wouldn't plan on launching it like a long travel and it doesn't have front brakes so it's a sand buggy not a desert sled.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Thanks rhino thats what i thought. IF i want brakes in front I only need to put the drums on and run some brake lines right. I think I should probably get it for $2000 so it seems like a good deal.
Kevin
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

If you want brakes in the front, VW drums should bolt right up, it has a stock pre 68 beam in the front, those are pretty bomber, more so if you weld all the way around both stamped halves. There are spindle reinforcement kits you can buy for pennies and the front is pretty beatable. In the rear you could swap to 5 lug drums or disc super easy as well. That rail is pretty old school by todays standards but that old stuff worked pretty good and is a blast. half the people who buy all that long travel stuff don't know how to drive it and are afraid to break it and it ends up being a beer coaster all weekend anyway.
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Yeah and I'm not getting a long travel buggy for $2000 that's for sure. It is old school but it looks like it was built right. I will probably hitting you up more rhino as I don't have much experience with vw,s.
Kevin
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Sounds like a good deal, I wouldn't be pounding too hard on that motor, most of the 2180 were built with cast stroker cranks, if it's a forged crank you're in luck!
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Kuma wrote:Sounds like a good deal, I wouldn't be pounding too hard on that motor, most of the 2180 were built with cast stroker cranks, if it's a forged crank you're in luck!
I will ask about the forged crank nut im just going to cruise around the desert. No robby gordon antics for me. Thanks for the info guys.
Kevin
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

As always pictures makes things look way better. The guy had no idea what he had, it wasnt a bus tranny the work was budget and to top it off it was blowing black smoke. After watching it run he asked me if I wanted to go for a ride, I just laughed and told him to have a nice day.
Kevin
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

At least you know when to walk.
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

I try never to get too excited about vehicles until I can go look at them. Too many idiots out there. I have a line on another one that seems nice.
Kevin
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

They are super fun and if you are going old school, like mostly VW parts that book Baja Bugs and buggies, yellow cover available everywhere is like a factory CR500 Honda manual. It's the bible of making vw stuff work and hold together through fairly incredible beatings. Here was one of my old school stocker type deals...caged out but all garbage found on the side of the road VW stuff.
okotok

Post by okotok »

Got a picture of the landing Rhino :D
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Those buggys look WAY more fun than any of that new RZR kinda crap.....

Rock on my ol' school brothers!!!
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

AlisoBob wrote:Those buggys look WAY more fun than any of that new RZR kinda crap.....
Not knocking the old school - but have you been in a RZR Bob?
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I'm the worst picture taker in history, those pictures were taken of me by others. I did that jump at least 30 times and tore up the rest of sand mountain all weekend ...nothing failed, all old school crap welded together by me. I had some of the big dollar guys show up and I'm not saying they are all like this because I have seen pictures of guys not afraid to beat their stuff but none that day came close.

Guy pulled up at that hit in his long travel monster, there were a bunch of people around, he asked what gear I was hitting it in, I told him second gear tapped. He went up the hill, came down running strong, hit the jump but backed way out of the gas. Came around to where everyone was posted up and asked how much air he got.....everyone at once held their hands up signaling about 6". He said his clutch was slipping drove it back to his camp and rubbed it down with a diaper the rest of the weekend outside of his pimp ass motorhome.

It doesn't take big dollars to have fun or have something that is cool. My truck, trailer, bike and buggy wasn't worth as much as that guys rear shock.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Matt,
that picture kinda looks like you are holding a cell phone with your shoulder,
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Yeah I was taking calls......nah thats probably just a shadow off my fat ham neck. :D
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

hoofarted wrote:
AlisoBob wrote:Those buggys look WAY more fun than any of that new RZR kinda crap.....
Not knocking the old school - but have you been in a RZR Bob?
Yea, it was really cramped, and flippin' loud. No thanks.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rhino89523 wrote: It doesn't take big dollars to have fun or have something that is cool. My truck, trailer, bike and buggy wasn't worth as much as that guys rear shock.
:cool:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rhino.... out at the dunes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N309xX66 ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

That jeep looks safer then the first buggy I looked at. I went and checked one out last night and it was a nice buggy minus it was the gayest shade of purple. Im kinda color blind so thank god i brought my buddy cause it looked blue to me. :oops: :oops: :D
Kevin